Need Help! 48x96 Standard - Long Unresolved Issue with Reliability

Thread: 48x96 Standard - Long Unresolved Issue with Reliability

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 48x96 Standard - Long Unresolved Issue with Reliability

I bought my machine 2nd hand many years ago. It has NEMA34 motors with the basic, standard setup and a 3.25HP PC router. I've never gotten the machine to cut reliably. The machine generally feels "loose" to me despite my efforts to tighten things up. It wants to jump under a variety of situations which is my biggest problem. The cut quality off the machine, especially on curves is also less than great. It's pretty bumpy but not "holy crap" horrible. I've changed the pinon gears. Squared the machine up to the best of my ability using consistent reading prox sensors. I've stiffened my base. Tweaked a number of other things over time. I've also done software tweaks to have the machine generally operate slower (especially in accel & decel).

The only "solution" I've found is to cut slow, nothing over 120ipm. I generally keep it 70-80ipm and keep the depths low (typically won't do anything over 1/4" per pass). Even then, results can be pretty mixed. At this point, I rarely use the machine as I never can rely on it for jobs (to make money as it was meant to be used in a business setting).

To give a little more context on what I mean when I say the machine "feels loose". When I push on the machine in various directions to simulate load, it just feels like it wants to jump out of the rack. I understand this is part of the design, but I can't help feel that something is off in my situation given my consistent issue with cut reliability.

I'd like to resolve this problem so I can either start using the machine reliably or sell it to someone else and not have to worry about selling a faulty machine.