Gantry is stalling, shaking, and losing steps. At my wits end. Screenshots + video - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gantry is stalling, shaking, and losing steps. At my wits end. Screenshots + video

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Gantry is stalling, shaking, and losing steps. At my wits end. Screenshots + vide

I too am having this issue (CNCpro 48x48 with mach4). I've just started trying to figure out what could be the root cause. Seems to happen at high speed movement with G0 command so will try to slow down max speed and see if that solves the problem. No issue while it's cutting. Maybe L/R are slightly out of sync and the issue gets amplified with high speed/acceleration moves. I've taken each motor off and run independently to see if there was any binding in the motor. All good there. Smooth as silk everywhere else.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Was the machine running "normal " before doing this? If so, I would clean and lube all the ways, as well as take the guides apart and clean and lube then. Then make sure all your drive belts are set to the factory recommended tension and try running it then.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Gantry is stalling, shaking, and losing steps. At my wits end. Screenshots + vide

Personally, I'd get rid of ANY springs in a drive train. Torque will compress them, then they will snap back. The shock of that can actually help the next compression cycle, and so on. That just isn't good design.

Steppers can be very abrupt and make the problem worse. You could try increasing the microstepping count to see if it reduces the problem. But I would still look to getting the springs out of the design.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are a few things that could be wrong: your R&P drive connection to the gantry riser isn't solid enough. You need to go back and double check the collar on the 3/8 bolt that hold the drive to the riser. You need to the R&P to be able to pivot around that point but not sloppy. You may also want to increase the tension to the drive until you can't push it around by hand. There could also be a problem with your electronic, especially the stepper or driver. It sounds like the stepper motor was over torqued. You may want to decrease the acceleration to about 10-12 (not the speed) and move up from there. Your acceleration profiles look too steep. When you start moving the gantry, the motor struggled to accelerate and stalled out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GaryLa View Post
    Personally, I'd get rid of ANY springs in a drive train. Torque will compress them, then they will snap back. The shock of that can actually help the next compression cycle, and so on. That just isn't good design.

Steppers can be very abrupt and make the problem worse. You could try increasing the microstepping count to see if it reduces the problem. But I would still look to getting the springs out of the design.
    I have two machines running the CRP springs. They run fine. No skipping. No lost steps due to spring tension. One is about 5 years old.

Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12