CNCRP plug and play kit - Spindle connection

Thread: CNCRP plug and play kit - Spindle connection

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNCRP plug and play kit - Spindle connection

Hi All,
    I am new to the club and have a question on the CNCRP plug and play Nema34 kit. Is it possible to buy one of the water cooled eBay 2.2kw spindles off of eBay and a Hitachi VFD and connect it directly to the CNCRP kit? My goal was to use Mach3 to control the RPMs. I read that the plug and play kit generates the 0-10v required, but I can’t find any documentation on how to connect the two. Is it possible? If so, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNCRP plug and play kit - Spindle connection

Hi

I did this year, i purchased the CRP2448 and put this kit on it and it works really sweet. The guys at CNCRP were very helpful with regards to using it too.
    If you can get to you tube and look up Peter Passuello (cncnutz) he has a number of videos setting the spindle and the vfd up and i can vouch for them because thats how i set mine :-)

Enjoy Bernie

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bernienufc View Post
    Hi

I did this year, i purchased the CRP2448 and put this kit on it and it works really sweet. The guys at CNCRP were very helpful with regards to using it too.
    If you can get to you tube and look up Peter Passuello (cncnutz) he has a number of videos setting the spindle and the vfd up and i can vouch for them because thats how i set mine :-)

Enjoy Bernie
    Thanks for the help. The video was exactly what I needed. One more question - did you purchase the spindle mount from CNCRP or were you able to use the mount that came with the kit.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 4824 Pro with Nema 23 controls. I have a 2.2kW water cooled spindle from eBay and a Hitachi vfd controlled by Mach3, works great. I think it should work the same with Nema 34.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-r...upgrade-4.html

Downloads
    Uploads

I purchased a spindle mount from Ebay, then changes my mind and went for the tramming one on CNCRP, a lot of money but its a breeze to setup and its bloody accurate :-)

Bernie

Downloads
    Uploads

GigaWatt,
    Your setup looks sweet. I agree that the Nema34 should be the as the Nema23. Did you have to contact CNCRP to get the connection Pin out from the kit to the VFD? Did you have to make your own cable?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo70 View Post
    GigaWatt,
    Your setup looks sweet. I agree that the Nema34 should be the as the Nema23. Did you have to contact CNCRP to get the connection Pin out from the kit to the VFD? Did you have to make your own cable?
    I can post the pin out info for you. Sorry about the pic rotation, I've tried 3 times, even rotated the pic before upload but it keeps loading upside down!

I started out buying parts and making a cable to connect the control panel to the Hitachi vfd which I had problems with. I finally bought a cable from CNCRP. The cable is identical on both ends and my control panel and vfd are next to each other so I cut the cable in half which leaves a spare.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNCRP plug and play kit  - Spindle connection-wj200-jpg   CNCRP plug and play kit  - Spindle connection-hitachi-connections-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GigaWatt; 06-14-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GigaWatt View Post
    I can post the pin out info for you. Sorry about the pic rotation, I've tried 3 times, even rotated the pic before upload but it keeps loading upside down!

I started out buying parts and making a cable to connect the control panel to the Hitachi vfd which I had problems with. I finally bought a cable from CNCRP. The cable is identical on both ends and my control panel and vfd are next to each other so I cut the cable in half which leaves a spare.
    This is great! Thank you very much for the pics. I looked closely at the pin out and data sheet for the VFD. I noticed that you did not connect the Fault, E-stop, and Reference 10v. I don’t believe the reference is needed, but what about the e-stop? If you hit the e-stop button on your machine, dies the spindle immediately stop?

Downloads
    Uploads

This is great! Thank you very much for the pics. I looked closely at the pin out and data sheet for the VFD. I noticed that you did not connect the Fault, E-stop, and Reference 10v. I don’t believe the reference is needed, but what about the e-stop? If you hit the e-stop button on your machine, dies the spindle immediately stop?
    The e stop plugs in the bottom of the control box and stops everything when pushed. The 10v spindle control connected in the vfd gives full control thru Mach3.

Last edited by GigaWatt; 06-14-2018 at 05:52 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like you got what you needed but if you have more questions, I've done the same. I got an extra cable from CNCRP and spliced that into the VFD so it could just plug into the controller.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the help so far. I just spoke to an electrician and am getting a 220v 30a circuit installed. I also plan to wire in a 30amp plug for the hitachi VFD. The manual clearly states I should place the VFD in an enclosure. I found some online that will work. I plan to add a fan to the enclosure as well. Any recommendations? I would also like a separate AC switch on the input to the VFD to kill power when machine is not on (I have small kids). I read that a 30a switch is not good enough and the contacts can weld shut because of the capacitance of the VFD. Does anyone have a switch? Or should I just unplug the VFD when not in use?

Downloads
    Uploads

Use a disconnect on the box. Something like this:
    Shopping

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

The CNCRP plate is drilled for the GMT spindle which has a different spacing to the generic Changsheng spindles and pretty much any other Chinese spindle.

Did anyone have any tricky issues drilling new holes into the tramming plate for a different spindle ?

I assume hole alignment would not be super critical because you still have to tram it once it’s all bolted up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the help so far. I just spoke to an electrician and am getting a 220v 30a circuit installed. I also plan to wire in a 30amp plug for the hitachi VFD. The manual clearly states I should place the VFD in an enclosure. I found some online that will work. I plan to add a fan to the enclosure as well. Any recommendations? I would also like a separate AC switch on the input to the VFD to kill power when machine is not on (I have small kids). I read that a 30a switch is not good enough and the contacts can weld shut because of the capacitance of the VFD. Does anyone have a switch? Or should I just unplug the VFD when not in use?

I just put a regular 220V switch in surface mount plastic box and wired through that.

Let me go get a picture.

Downloads
    Uploads

CNCRP plug and play kit  - Spindle connection-img_5404-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by andrewwong2000 View Post
    The CNCRP plate is drilled for the GMT spindle which has a different spacing to the generic Changsheng spindles and pretty much any other Chinese spindle.

Did anyone have any tricky issues drilling new holes into the tramming plate for a different spindle ?

I assume hole alignment would not be super critical because you still have to tram it once it’s all bolted up ?
    CNCRP sells an adapter mount for the chinese spindles.