New CNC Router Parts 48x96 Router build coming soon - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New CNC Router Parts 48x96 Router build coming soon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New CNC Router Parts 48x96 Router build coming soon

Thank you this helps a lot with the plumbing. Except I'm looking at this on my phone but I think I'm missing the box is it above the pumps?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The box is black as I painted it with a durable coating to make extra sure it was air tight. I attached a mockup of the vacuum box that the vacuum motors are attached to.

If I were to do this over I'd probably build one box per vacuum and daisy chain them with PVC check valves (and rubber couplings) so I could turn on each vacuum individually as needed based on what I'm cutting. I'd also add a 4th vacuum motor just in case I needed it. The issue with that setup is that the first vacuum would always need to be run but the fourth would rarely be run so periodically I'd swap the motors around to even out usage. Might even put an hour meter for motors on each vacuum motor to help with evening out usage.

The other thing I'd do is make sure the zones were connected to a box or had another pipe connecting zone 5 back to zone 1 to ensure flow was even across all zones. Right now with a single pipe going from the vacuum motors to each zone, zone 1 definitely has more pull than zone 4/5, at least with no load.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New CNC Router Parts 48x96 Router build coming soon-vacbox-jpg  
    David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Couldn't you run all 3 motors into the one box with check valves and alternate which motor(2) you turn on? Also your second thought is what I was thinking. From the box run either 1.5" or 2" directly to the zone (with a ball valve first of course) that way theoretically all zones should have the same vacuum.

Now I just need to decide if I'm getting the 5x10 table, what size zones I should run I like the way you have your table set up & have the 4x4 zones then the 1x4 across the top then the 2x4 ar the end, but I'm wondering if using different size pvc would help even out the vacuum or if using an additional ball valve and partially closing that valve would even it out

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally I was going to turn the box sideways at the end of the table and have 5 holes from the vacuum box, 1 for each zone, which would have resulted in even vacuum per zone. However, when I decided to put drawers in to organize better as opposed to letting things get unorganized, I changed my plans, which is what I have now. Works just fine but 2.0 projects are usually better than 1.0.

And yes, I could make multiple runs from each vacuum box, with check valves, into a main zone box or pipe, which would give me that flexibility and evenness.

Only other improvement I was thinking about was some motorized ball valves to be able to control the zones from the CNC depending on material size.

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

David - motorized ball valves is over my experience level for now. Do you think 3 motors would be enough vacuum if the vacuum in the zones were evened out?

How loud are the 3 motors you have? What voltage do the motor use?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you think 3 motors would be enough vacuum if the vacuum in the zones were evened out?
    Too many variables to accurately answer that.
    It depends on:
    The size of the parts.
    Size and type of tool.
    Material.
    Feedrate.
    How much of the table is exposed (leakage).

There are a lot of posts on the Shopbot Forum about these vacuum motors.

Most people use 3 or 4 motors for a 4x8 table.
    Since a 5x10 table is ~60% larger, you'd probably need 6 motors to get a similar amount of vacuum.

I think most get 240V motors, as you'd need double the amps to run them at 120V. You'd need 60 amps at 120V to run 4 of them.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As usual Ger21 is absolutely right and a tremendous help for us in the CNC community. Two things I’ll add. The 240V 8.4” (122178-18) motors are more powerful than the LH7123 that most on the Shopbot scene were using a few years ago. And the commercial Blackbox Hurricane has two banks of 2 motors and I’m pretty sure they are the same or similar to what I’m using. I just ordered a 4th vacuum motor just in case but not sure when I’ll install it or if I’ll keep it as a spare. For my 5x10 table, with cutting two sheets of 5x5 plywood with fairly large parts, I have had no issue with suction or parts moving using the 3 motors I have. But as Gerry pointed out, your situation might be completely different.

Last edited by dgage; Today at 09:51 AM. Reason: spelling
    David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234