New Machine Build Pro 5 X 10 with Welded Steel Base

Thread: Pro 5 X 10 with Welded Steel Base

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Pro 5 X 10 with Welded Steel Base

Hey y'all,
    I'm a longtime lurker, first-time poster, and I have to say, I've found these forums to be invaluable in answering almost any question I might have about these machines. Now that I'm getting ready to build my own 5x10, I thought I should share my own plans for a welded steel base and open it up for critique.

Although I was originally interested in adding 4x8 sheetgood storage under my machine that could be accessed via the Y-axis side, I opted not to take the risk of having an unsupported span in the middle of my machine and instead went for a rear 5x5 sheetgood storage section and an open front for the ability to roll things like a shopvac or small tool chest under the machine.
    I'm curious if anyone thinks the lack of horizontal support will be an issue. I'm also aware that at some point I might want to upgrade the machine with a vacuum hold down and as such wanted to leave enough room for that to be installed without cutting anything out.

The C channel shown in the rendering below is 4" x 1.71" and will be drilled to accept bolts which will go into T-nuts in the bottom channel of the Y-axis extrusion. I'm sure this is overkill but I like that the channel will be welded on after the rest of the frame is complete, allowing for very precise leveling of the frame independent of the straightness of the steel tube (which will very likely warp, somewhat). Thoughts? Is this crazy overkill? Should I swap the C-channel for angle and save some money? I'm thinking 11 gauge 2" tube for the rest of the structural parts of the frame.

Not shown in the image is also that the legs will have leveling feet and there will be low-profile heavy duty casters mounted to the bottom horizontal rail. The wheels will be disengaged by adjusting the leveling feet. While I don't plan on moving it much, I'd like to have the option of doing so without a forklift.
    Thanks!