Slate

Thread: Slate

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Slate

Just an FYI here. I was walking through Michael's the other day and spotted some slate plaques. Hmmm, I wondered, could I engrave those? Well, yes, we can. I used an eBay tiny V bit (its the yellow version they sell by the dozen for engraving, circuit boards, etc. - tiny little tip - flat on one side). I used 60ipm, router full blast (Bosch 1617), 0.005" depth per pass. Everything went very well and the look is nice. I went a total of 0.015" deep. The only issue was that the slate, being a natural product, is not flat. I used a dial indicator in the router to get it close. My piece had a hump in the middle, which is where I set Z zero. As a result, I had to go back and re cut some areas. I just set a deeper cut and went over them again. I didn't get a perfectly consistent depth, but it looks pretty good anyway. After I was done, it looks like the back of the plaque might have been flatter. I may have introduced some bow when clamping too, although I released the clamps and tightened them back "just enough." I also used tape on the bottom. I'll try and get a pic this evening.

Anyway, just wanted to share that it worked in case anybody else is interested. Oh, Michael's has 40% off coupons weekly, so a 8x6 or so plaque is a couple of dollars. I might get a couple more to play with.

Tony

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Slate

You can also find cheap slate or other natural stone tiles at your local big box home center. Some work really well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Any pics of the finished part?

Saturn 2 4848
    CRP Plug & Play NEMA 34, 2.2kw Spindle, Mach3

Downloads
    Uploads

You might think about using a spring-loaded tool holder for this, which will help with the uneven surface: Engraving Tools and Cutters, Spring Loaded Engraving Tools, Vacuum Chucks, Engraving Software

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

I've seen videos where they are milling circuit boards and it probes the board in a grid to get the topology and then accounts for the height differences while engraving. I don't know what software it was but it sounds like it would help in this process.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Neat, but I can't afford that!

- - - Updated - - -

Working on it.I forgot to grab a pic last night.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is the piece of slate I engraved. I is around 8x6 I think. Michael's has several shapes and sizes. You can see that some of the engraving is deeper. I recut several areas in 0.005" steps until I got to this. Anyway, I was pleased with the result. I'd prefer the depths to be more consistent, but it is a natural material, so.... I'm just thrilled that nothing exploded across the shop! And the tool and the slate cost me $3 maybe? Converting the bitmaps to vectors had the usual issues and I didn't do a good job cleaning things up, so it took forever. Plus, I had the tool moving pretty slow to be safe. Anyway, fun stuff. Learned something. Might go check out the Home Depot offerings as mentioned above.
    Tony

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slate-slate-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool. Thanks!