Intro and Router vs Spindle question

Thread: Intro and Router vs Spindle question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Intro and Router vs Spindle question

I am new to this forum and am looking at either purchasing a pre-built machine or a kit. The CNC Router Parts machines are very intriguing for a kit product. Let me explain what I am cutting and please give me input as to using a router vs a spindle.

To begin with I am a small business which makes photographs on aluminum via Dye Sublimation. The aluminum is all .045" thick and currently all cuts are for squares, rectangles and occasionally some circles. Occasionally I am also requiring 3mm DiBond and .5" or 1" Gatorfoam.

Most of the aluminum I get is already cut to the size required but I do get custom orders for odd sizes that I am cutting down from 40x60 inch sheets via a table saw and a router insert to clean up the edges. This works but is becoming a time consuming issue when I need several pieces and time is becoming more and more precious.

So, the question becomes whether I can get by currently with a router to get clean consistent cuts or is there some compelling reason I need to go to a spindle.

Thanks for your help.

BG out of KC

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Intro and Router vs Spindle question

A good router or a spindle will work fine for your application. I use a Porter Cable 75182 router motor https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3565_200683565

It's noisy but it works for anything I need to do. There are a lot of spindle kits available for about the same price and they are a bit quieter. Life expectancy is about the same on either.

In my opinion it's a toss up on a small machine.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

a router has 2 precision bearings and a spindle has 4 super precision bearings, run out is a lot less therefore increasing tool life and cut quality

Downloads
    Uploads

A good quality 2-1/4HP router should give you similar cut quality to a spindle.
    Having said that, if you don't mind wiring it your self, you can get a chinese 2.2Kw spindle and VFD for about $325, which is not that much more than a good router.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 1.5kw chineese spindle air cooled and genuine huanyang VFD and it is smooth and quiet I am very happy with it . its for hobby use in my case.