Problem X-axis clicking

Thread: X-axis clicking

Downloads
    Uploads

Default X-axis clicking

The X-axis on my Pro4824 has developed a clicking noise coming from the motor / belt area. It's consistent at about 1 click per 1 inch of travel in both directions. Speed doesn't affect it. I've tried compressed air to clean any woodchips and even WD40 on the belt and gears with no change. Thanks for any suggestions. Joe.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: X-axis clicking

Typically clicking noises in the rack and pinion drive come from having the belts a little bit too tight, so I would reduce the belt tension slightly -- you should be able to deflect the belts 4-5mm with finger pressure. If this doesn't help, feel free to contact us directly for further assistance.

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Downloads
    Uploads

I've had the same thing happen. It definitely helps to loosen a little. I've noticed that temperature changes in the room seem to change it too. When it's cold and I start the machine it will do it for a while until it moves enough to heat up. Also, the gear on my x axis seems to have a slight camber to it and the belt tends to move up to the top and rubs a little. This is when I get the clicking sound the most. I usually loosen it enough to move it down a bit and then it goes away.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ahren View Post
    Typically clicking noises in the rack and pinion drive come from having the belts a little bit too tight, so I would reduce the belt tension slightly -- you should be able to deflect the belts 4-5mm with finger pressure. If this doesn't help, feel free to contact us directly for further assistance.

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts
    Problem solved, I loosened the belt and it's doing great. Thanks Ahren!

Downloads
    Uploads

I know this is an old thread, but for what it is worth, my thought are that I think belts can start to squeak and "click" when under too much tension OR after being used for a while. The belt teeth in effect arrive fractionally late (or leave too fast) from the gear and this causes the belt to click and/squeak in/out of the gear - the tooth edges that run between the troughs and the peaks make the noise as they have more chance to rub as each tooth seats/unseats on the gear.

I thought I has a bearing drying up and then identified the belt gears making all the "clicking".
    SOLUTION: A tiny smidge of mako lube (AKA silicone/PTFE lube) along the teeth of the belt make all noised vanish.
    running beautifully. . . . (fingers crossed)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for posting. I would have never guessed at a belt as source of a click!

I had a click on my Z a while back...cracked bearing (CNCRP Standard machine).

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Belts also start clicking when the pulleys are misaligned for some reason (bad bearing, bent part etc.). The belt slides toward the rim of the pulley then snaps back making that distinctive clicking (or even banging) sound.

Downloads
    Uploads

I tried this one time.
    It created a mess in a wood router. Fine dust was collected on the rack and pinion over time.
    I prefer to leave things dry with no lube.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm - Yes, I can see that could happen when cutting with any blades.
    Hopefully just the smoke from the cutting doesn't give it too much problem - the offending belt is not in the extraction path.
    I'll think twice before doing it on anything but a laser - thanks.