Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER

Cool thread.

Downloads
    Uploads

Soooo... I'm about to give my jtech laser a go. I decided to use my older CNCRP machine with a G540 as a dedicated laser engraver instead of putting it on my vcon machine. I was reviewing the post processor below and was wonder what triggers the coolent to start (turn on/off the laser). Any more tips or tricks you want to share?

http://www.buildlog.net/sm_laser/dra...r_Arcs_inch.pp

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FandZ View Post
    Soooo... I'm about to give my jtech laser a go. I decided to use my older CNCRP machine with a G540 as a dedicated laser engraver instead of putting it on my vcon machine. I was reviewing the post processor below and was wonder what triggers the coolent to start (turn on/off the laser). Any more tips or tricks you want to share?

http://www.buildlog.net/sm_laser/dra...r_Arcs_inch.pp
    It would be the E1P1 / E1P0 that is triggering coolant AKA the laser on and off. If I remember right every port for turning a device on or off would have to have it's own different code.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So after months of being able to do nice laser line art I just bought a DAC / PWM board so I can do photographs. Anyone already install one?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a gift I made last night. 2 watt laser and still using the stock settings on speed and acceleration in CNCRP's pre set XML file. G code done with Vectric Vcarve Pro 8.5.
    Have most of the details figured out on the DAC /PWM install. Just have to add 2 wires from the BOB to the serial port for step and direction from the A axis.
    CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER-grill-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would love it if CNCRP made a "laser shoe" that mounted in place of the dust shoe.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Couple of things I thought I would point out. In all of the changes made to run a laser I did nothing to the motor tuning. The above cutting board was burned with the stock 199.98 and 15 acceleration on the X and Y axis. Some of the text looks like it has hot spots from tight node clusters I did not bother to clean up. Am now fiddling with the acceleration and have it up to 65 with no sign of stalling or losing steps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Couple of nights ago I finished connecting those 2 wires the DAC / PWM needed. Everything worked the first time. Have to do some fine tuning before posting any of the set up info.

Question for a MACH 3 expert, can you set one axis to have a different jog rate? I know I can change the jog rate in the DRO tab for all of them, But adjusting laser power on start up is tuned with jog keys and it's a very fine (slow ) rate needed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So for those of us who have the McLaren P1 of DIY CNC routers, formidable looks, heavy suspension, rack and pinion movements, quite belt driven transmission for all that raw torque! Built to plow a high speed bit deep and fast it also carries with it the grace and finesse of a hummingbird. Just one sample of a laser image from a PRO4848:
    CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER-clarkson-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK so finally some set up images. So if you have already done the laser set up for line art only using a vector program, then adding the DAC is way simple. The J tech web site shows what the DAC needs as far as inputs. All your doing is splicing the DAC into the system.

The MACH3 set up assumes a CRP800 with the smooth stepper and a BOB plugged into port 3 on that smooth stepper. How you run the ground, signal step and direction from the BOB to the DAC is up to you. I used one of the empty axis slots on the CRP800.

This is just a recap, setting stays the same for turning the laser on or off:

CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER-outputsignals-jpg

The A axis was set up to port 3:

CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER-motoroutputs-jpg

Motor tuning for the A axis has to be changed to this:

CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER-axis-jpg

Now with the DAC/PWM control you need a laser based program to make the code. J Tech worked hand in hand with PicLaser so for $40.00 take the easy way out and get that.

You need to set up the PicLaser settings to look like this:
    CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER-piclaser-jpg

A note on the pixel resolution. When you look at the set up info recommended by PicLaser they show a value of .006. I started out that way but by changing it to .008 and the image quality was improved. I think this may depend on some of the materials that you may be burning. Beam width may be a true .005, but if material on either side of that bean are charred it makes an effective .007 wide burn. Anyhow I looked an some of my first images under a 10X loop and decided that there was too much overlap. Yours make work best set at .006

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've not checked my inbox in a long time so a few folks sent questions and may feel a bit ignored. Hope the latest images answers most of the questions. One being the post processor to burn vector files made with Vectric software. I uploaded mine. It was created by a fellow named Tony and Mark, I just modified it to work with my Mach3 laser set up.

Download as text, then run notepad as administrator then save as a .pp file.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

I know this is an old thread however I'm ready to add a laser to my Pro4824 and have some questions for the posters that already have this setup. I'm considering using either the J Tech 2.0 or 2.8. I will use it mainly for engraving on wood however I would also like the ability to cut thin wood like 1/4" pine, plywood & hardboard.
    1. How are your setups working any changes?
    2. Is the 2 watt laser adequate for most work or should I go with 2.8?
    3. Do you have any additional comments that would help in installation, setup or use?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast