Ordering Pro 4824 - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Ordering Pro 4824

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ordering Pro 4824

I am still using the same original CRP code in it. I did adjust the height of the touch plate to .998" instead of 1". I did intend to slow it down to a feed of 10, but it is working well at the original F20.
    I did calibrate the steps per inch on the Z to get it there. There was a slight change from the calculated formula of 10160 SPI.
    There is a small amount of calculated error in the X and Y as well, but very little. It is cutting the same in X and Y, so round holes, but just a bit undersized. 3.97+" in 4". I may calibrate X and Y in the future, but for now, I can get closer making larger holes in the CAD drawing. Some of the error could be in the Rack and pinion and some in the belt and gearing. Some in the router bit itself. Difficult to get a precise measurement on an O flute bit. It is repeatable and nearly identical on both axes, so useable as it is.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

@Leeway

Did you measure the diameter of your bits? I found mine off by a couple though and edited the tools for actual diameter , that may be your accuracy problem?

Bad bearings/runout would make them oversized .

Downloads
    Uploads

The bits that I have been using are not that easy to measure. I will need to drill some holes with them to see what size they are. The ones that cut the best on polycarbonate are single cutters. Straight flute ones are offset. O flute ones aren't quite concentric either.
    The two flute straight cutters cut rough in either Conventional or climb cutting. Cutting mostly slots. The singles are only cutting one side of the slot at a time, so sound much smoother. Both actually produce a nice finished edge on the finish pass.
    A more rigid Z axis would reduce that roughness I think. I still need to move that lower rail mounting block up about an inch on Z. That may make a an audible difference.
    Most of the bits I have tried are USA made, so I trust them a little more, but that doesn't mean that the nominal size is correct. My guard parts are coming out looking great though and are well within our tolerances.
    Where the error made a difference was on the Dust Shoe prototypes. And only where the dust port is getting welded in. So a little tightness there is actually beneficial.

My calipers are also suspect. I replace them about once a year. They just get dirty or damaged and at less than $10 each, disposable. Recyclable actually.
    I had a Starrett and a Mitutoyo in my Amazon shopping cart and was deciding between the two. I went with an Igaging one first. I have their micrometer and like the quality and repeatability with it. This is the caliper.
    Amazon.com: iGaging ABSOLUTE ORIGIN 0-6" Digital Electronic Caliper - IP54 Protection / Extreme Accuracy: Home Improvement

It has the same specs as the other two higher cost ones. This is the middle of the road version, so worth checking out.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a note about the digital caliper I mentioned above.
    So far, I am impressed with it. You can tell the difference almost instantly between it and the HF models. When you measure something with the HF models, the last two numbers dance around alot depending on the pressure you apply. That is typical I think, but when not applying pressure, it still dances a bit. You cannot get the same identical measure twice in a row with it either.
    This new caliper does not exhibit that same kind of inaccuracy. You can tell it is more accurate. It does have the same specs and I mentioned above as the Starrett and Mitutoyo. Those are the low end models from them. If you are on the fence about getting a better quality caliper, you may want to consider this one. With Amazon, if you do not like it, it's easy to return it and try the next one.
    I'll be keeping this one though. If it gets damaged quickly from abuse (not by me), then maybe I won't shed that many tears over it.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a link to a thread I started about the dust shoe progression.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ml#post1806090

There is another link that has some more discussion and thoughts on it for those that may have been following that.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ml#post1806156

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

I was resurfacing the spoil board yesterday with our 1.5" surfacing bit.
    It was going well until the last pass of the spiral pocket. It ran through the corner of the hard stop on the left front of the machine. It had no problem at all cutting through 1/4" steel at about 3/8" DOC and 1/4" pass. 24000 RPM 200 IPM feed.
    I will be redesigning those front two hard stops so that we do not cut through them again. Oh and the bit survived with no damage. Dinged my confidence just a bit.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Your bit will last a lot longer at 12,000-14,000 rpm, which is more than enough for 200ipm.
    Unless you keep cutting steel with it.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Gerry.
    I did notice a hint of a burn in on the ramp down. Probably from the RPM's set too high.
    I had intended to increase the speed on this machine, but 200 IPM is plenty fast for surfacing the spoil board. I'll try not to machine too much more steel with it.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Lee,

You may have figured this out already, but typically we have the bumpers on the front of the machine flipped so they extend down, rather than up into harms way. You can see this in the rendering of our machine:

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/images/PRO4824-14-1.jpg

You should be able to just flip those front bumpers over. Let us know if you need a replacement for the one you cut accidentally and we can work that out with you.

Best regards,

Ahren
    www,cncrouterparts.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Oops.. I put mine on upside down also.. I think this confused me.

Downloads
    Uploads

We'll try and clarify, and thanks for letting us know.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a bunch, Ahren.
    No need for a replacement.
    It is still good to go. The odd thing is, I have them installed correctly on the rear of the machine. That is where it counts on the homing switches, so no switch adjustment needed.
    I don't have any idea why I installed them upside down, but that certainly will eliminate future steel hogging jobs.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You probably flipped them because the rails are longer than the gantry, at least on the 4 x 8. I'm actually contemplating grinding down the rails so I can have both bumpers on the bottom.

Downloads
    Uploads

My rails were a snug fit and the same length as the extrusions.
    I did get them swapped around correctly.

Couple of pictures. I filed the sharp edges on that steel job I did.

Ordering Pro 4824-hard-stop-cut-jpg

Ordering Pro 4824-hard-stop-fixed-jpg

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice! Yeah, those are noticeably shorter than the ones on mine. I have to have them flipped or else I can't mount the bumpers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, Guys, time to upgrade somewhat.
    I will be selling the CRP Pro 4824 shortly.
    It is in good working condition. This is the older style pro with V-bearings on steel rails. All still in great shape. Plug and Play Nema 23 electronics package with the Plug and Play 2.2KW square air cooled spindle kit.
    It does have the zero tool setter and all the home and limit switches. It also comes with a 3/4" phenolic table already setup to turn into a vacuum system. Extra extrusions and bracing under the table as well.
    It will come with the pipe legs underneath already. That is 6 legs about 8" tall with pipe flanges that screw in to adjust the height and also secure to a table, frame or bench.
    The IBM laptop and charger with Mach 3 and ESS all setup is included.

This machine and all the controls and panels will be palletized and crated up securely. Will ship via truck. Asking $4500. That does include the freight in the US.
    If no one wants it here, it will go on Ebay in bout two weeks.

I ordered an Axiom Elite AR8 to replace it. It is the same size machine with a little smaller footprint. Has precision ball screws and linear rails. No mach 3 on it. It is a servo driven machine too.
    Should be a nice little upgrade for us. Has anyone heard of Axiom? Have one?
    I have been watching them for a couple months now. They are not a new company.
    In fact they offer the same stepper drive machines that are also badged by Powermatic.
    I have considered several other machine brands, but most not as much machine in the size range i need and too much machine when I see the options I wanted. Shop Bot, Camaster, Laguna and a few others. Axion seemed like the best fit for my needs.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh and this has the dust shoe we made for it. It has a 3" brush skirt and an led ring light around the spindle. Does a good job even on plastic particles. 4" dust port opening with an aluminum blast gate when you need to use your dust collector for a different tool.

Lee

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567