Lagun 250 Variable Speed drive

Thread: Lagun 250 Variable Speed drive

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lagun 250 Variable Speed drive

Hi Guys, I dont know if this is the best place for this post. I didn't see a Lagun specific forum.

I have an old Lagunmatic 250 that i'm working on getting into operating condition. I was getting ready to do a trial part a couple days ago and the 2 speed drive made a weird noise and the selector handle popped forward out of high speed position. i also lost ability to change hte speed with the hand crank.

i took the hand crank plate off and found that the pin for the chain failed which allowed the tapered pulleys to move apart and now the belt looks to be jammed in farther than it is suppose to go.

I think i need to tear down the entire assembly and see what else looks broken.

does anyone have any tips or cautions before i start? I think i need to pull the spindle motor off so that i can take hte top half of teh case off.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lagun 250 Variable Speed drive

well i got most of the top end apart. I'm stuck at how to remove the bottom fixed side of the spindle variable pulley. the top side just slides onto the shaft. I expect this to come off with a snap ring or bolted on collar or something to make replacing the back-gear drive belt and the brake components easy to change. I dont see any parts to take off to make this pulley come off so I guess i need to use a puller to get it moving...

I don't want to start pulling on it with a puller if there is something else I'm missing.

I'm trying to take this off so i can get to the bearing. there is a lot of movement in that bearing so I was going to replace it.

Lagun 250 Variable Speed drive-img_20200716_074125548-jpg

other side of the main shaft where it sits in the bearing.
    Lagun 250 Variable Speed drive-img_20200716_074114366-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm pretty sure that shaft, pulley half, timing pulley, and bearing comes out as a unit. I would gently pry on the pulley half to remove the assembly from the housing. I think that pulley half comes off toward the bearing.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

i gave it a pry against the housing with no luck.
    looking at this x-section from the manual, it looks like there is a snap ring (58) that holds the bearing into the housing. i guess the shaft must just be pressed into the bearing...

Lagun 250 Variable Speed drive-pulley-xsectino-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you're right. Maybe the assembly would just press (or drive) out of the bearing.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I think you're right. Maybe the assembly would just press (or drive) out of the bearing.

for anyone searching this thread in the future... You just drive the shaft from the bearing. the bearing then comes out after you remove a snap ring from the brake side.
    i don't believe there is any way to drive the shaft out of the bearing without putting the load on the ball bearings. i just supported the housing on some blocks, set a spacer on top of the castle part of the shaft and gave it about 10 firm hits with a rubber mallet to get it moving. for the reinstall, if i can find the right size pipe, i should be able to support the inner race while i drive the shaft back into the bearing.

There are 7 bearings (not including the two bull gear ones) that I am thinking about replacing while everything is apart.

the only one that feels really loose is the one under the brake assembly.

bottom of spindle pulley = 6009NSE
    Top of spindle pulley = 6007NSE
    bottom and top of back gear = 6004LB
    moving side of the spindle pulley = 6012LB. this bearing rides in a cup on the speed adjustment lever that moves the pulley down

the two for the bull gear = 6008-LLB. this assembly feels very smooth and tight so I am not sure I want to take those out to replace these.

Lagun 250 Variable Speed drive-img_20200716_214057534-jpgLagun 250 Variable Speed drive-img_20200716_214113375-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

anyone have recommendations for good/affordable bearings?

Downloads
    Uploads

Check with your local bearing vendor. I found that the prices from mine were about the same as the on-line vendors, and were known quality bearings.

The local vendor in Portland is McGuire Bearing Home - McGuire Bearing Company

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA