Upgrade to Biesse Rover B4.40 Opinion

Thread: Upgrade to Biesse Rover B4.40 Opinion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Upgrade to Biesse Rover B4.40 Opinion

Hello all. I am thinking of purchasing a used 2009 Biesse Rover B 4.40 but wanted to see what you guys/gals experiences have been going from a standard Mach 3 configured CNC to these large Commercial units?

8 of the drills on the Y-Axis is not working, according to the owner, but everything else works correctly with all software and manuals intact. Says he has two keys for Biesse Advanced works.

This is a huge difference in capability, space, and complexity compared to my mach 3 servo controlled machine.

Is this worth the investment if I can get the machine for less than $20,000?

I do use my current machine to cut 85% of all my pieces for my custom woodwork business.

Any advice, suggestions for training, etc would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Upgrade to Biesse Rover B4.40 Opinion

I've never used a Biesse, but I've use similar Italian machine for the last 24 years.

Is this a pod and rail machine, or a flat bed? Does it come with vacuum pumps?

What ype of parts do you cut?

Typically, these machines will be much faster and smoother running than a Mach3 machine. And they'll usually be much simpler to use, but not as flexible as a Mach3 machine.

This was probably a $125,000 machine when it was new.

The biggest issue with these machines when they get older is the cost of repairing them.

If you need to get the drilling block repaired or rebuilt, that can easily cost $5000-$10,000. Some of the electronics can also get up into that range.

But, if well maintained, these machines can last a long time.
    I'm currently using a 2007 Morbidelli, and it's not required any major repairs since it was new, and is still used daily in a production environment.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I've never used a Biesse, but I've use similar Italian machine for the last 24 years.

Typically, these machines will be much faster and smoother running than a Mach3 machine. And they'll usually be much simpler to use, but not as flexible as a Mach3 machine.

The biggest issue with these machines when they get older is the cost of repairing them.

If you need to get the drilling block repaired or rebuilt, that can easily cost $5000-$10,000. Some of the electronics can also get up into that range.

I'm currently using a 2007 Morbidelli, and it's not required any major repairs since it was new, and is still used daily in a production environment.

Thanks for the reply.

It's a pod and rail machine. I cut first goods, case parts and small wood pieces typically. I usually throw a 4x8 sheet on the machine for full cabinets,etc. Can this be used like a flat table setup if needed by manually attaching a spoilboard on the vacuum pods,etc ?

Machine was $152,000 new and got it significally less than $20,000 on a distress sale.

I went to college for electronics engineering and built two machines (electronics) with the servos, power supplies and controllers from scratch so I'm pretty handy with that part.

However, I know this is another league comoaritively speaking.

Now, just tryingbto arrange rigging and transport to my shop.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's sheet goods.

Comparatively speaking.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can this be used like a flat table setup if needed by manually attaching a spoilboard on the vacuum pods,etc ?
    Not exactly the same. With a flat table, you just throw your sheet on the table and the vacuum holds it.
    You can sort of do the same, and the pods will hold the spoilboard, but you're parts will move around.

When we had a pod and rail machine, we had a beam saw to cut our parts, and used the CNC for all the other machining.
    We did cut full sheets of parts by leaving an onion skin, then pulling the whole sheet off and trimming the parts apart by hand.

I went to college for electronics engineering and built two machines (electronics) with the servos, power supplies and controllers from scratch so I'm pretty handy with that part.
    These machines are 100x more complex in regards to the electronics.

So yeah, it's a good deal, if it does what you need.
    Our 2007 Morbidelli was $150K+, and we're currently trying to sell it for around $50K, so we can buy a new one.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Not exactly the same. With a flat table, you just throw your sheet on the table and the vacuum holds it.
    You can sort of do the same, and the pods will hold the spoilboard, but you're parts will move around.

When we had a pod and rail machine, we had a beam saw to cut our parts, and used the CNC for all the other machining.
    We did cut full sheets of parts by leaving an onion skin, then pulling the whole sheet off and trimming the parts apart by hand.

These machines are 100x more complex in regards to the electronics.

So yeah, it's a good deal, if it does what you need.
    Our 2007 Morbidelli was $150K+, and we're currently trying to sell it for around $50K, so we can buy a new one.
    I can definitely see they are more complex.
    You mention leaving an onion skin on the full sheet, would that allow you to nest the parts on multiple sheets like a flat table. I was more thinking about having the vacuum hold the full sheet and use that sheet as a spoilboard and attach another full sheet on top of that to be cut with pieces being held in place by tabs. The top sheet would be attached by brads or screws to the spoilboard until pieces cut from the tabs.

This is how my current machine is setup..no Vacuum pump on this machine. However, I could definitely do the onion skin, as it serves the same purpose with one sheet to remove. I also would cut the tabs loose while the sheet was still on the table. I'm only interested in the rail and pod system for being able to route around the edges of specific pieces. My workflow is normally set for nesting and just throwing sheets on the table, cut out parts,remove scrap, then on onto the next sheet quickly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure, you could do that.
    Will this machine run standard g-code? A lot of them use proprietary formats of g-code.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure, you could do that.
    Will this machine run standard g-code? A lot of them use proprietary formats of g-code.
    Not sure if this machine run standard g code or not.

More research for me to do I guess.