Problem Laguna SmartShop 2 or Vcarve issue? - Tool Lengths changing! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laguna SmartShop 2 or Vcarve issue? - Tool Lengths changing!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Laguna SmartShop 2 or Vcarve issue? - Tool Lengths changing!

Quote Originally Posted by dangerfox View Post
    How I set the spoil board thickness.

1. plain spoil board on both sides.
    2. I load my compression bit in the spindle
    3. Zero out the spoil board thickness number in the machine control.
    4. I touch off the compression bit.
    5. Then manually touch the compression bit to the top of the spoil board.
    6. I go to the machine coordinates and the z access number on the "zero point access" page gives me my spoil board thickness.
    7. I enter that number into the zspoil box in settings and home the machine.
    8. I touch off every tool 2 times each and log all lengths in our machine note book.
    9. Start test cuts to make sure there are no issues. ( This part #9 has NEVER gone to plan with cut depths. )

Thank you for all of your help!! It really means a lot to me!
    Looks like you have a good understanding of your control, I did not see this part in your list when you did your tool touch off after or at line #5

Press TOOLS button to go to the tool page, then press "TEACH TOOL LOCATION" and then press "SET TOOL DATA

Mactec54

Sorry I forgot to mention I have a "tool touch off" switch. When I touch each tool off it writes it in the control. Well in theory it does.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I forgot to mention I have a "tool touch off" switch. When I touch each tool off it writes it in the control. Well in theory it does.
    I though you where trying it by manual setting the Tool OffSetts, Yes I know you have an auto Tool Setter

So if you use the Auto Tool Setter you will be able to see what the Tool OffSets are, and then do a manual Tool Set and see if there is a difference, they should be both the same numbers in the Tool OffSet screen, use the same tool for both tests

Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I though you where trying it by manual setting the Tool OffSetts, Yes I know you have an auto Tool Setter

So if you use the Auto Tool Setter you will be able to see what the Tool OffSets are, and then do a manual Tool Set and see if there is a difference, they should be both the same numbers in the Tool OffSet screen, use the same tool for both tests

Yes, I was doing the manual set as well. I would compare the two and they were pretty much right on together.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I was doing the manual set as well. I would compare the two and they were pretty much right on together.
    So it seems that everything is working correct with the control, so all you have to do now is to get Vcarve to work correct which by the program that you posted, you have the Z axes settings setup incorrect as they are way off for the Z axes moves, you where trying to do

In your program if you where trying to cut through the part The Z axes move would be Z0.00
    The Z moves in your program are Z.933 and some are Z- so anything with a Z-this number will cut into the spoil board

N180 G01 Z0.2793 F70.9 ( Cutting into the Part )
    \
    N190 G00 Z0.9320 ( This is in most of the program and this would keep the Tool .200 above the part )

N1080 G01 Z-0.0130 F70.9 ( This is cutting into the Spoil Board by .013" not much but is what you programed )

Mactec54

So it seems that everything is working correct with the control, so all you have to do now is to get Vcarve to work correct which by the program that you posted, you have the Z axes settings setup incorrect as they are way off for the Z axes moves, you where trying to do

In your program if you where trying to cut through the part The Z axes move would be Z0.00
    The Z moves in your program are Z.933 and some are Z- so anything with a Z-this number will cut into the spoil board

\
    N190 G00 Z0.9320 ( This is in most of the program and this would keep the Tool .200 above the part )

N1080 G01 Z-0.0130 F70.9 ( This is cutting into the Spoil Board by .013" not much but is what you programed )

Hey so sorry ive been out since Sunday due to my 2 yr old son broke his femur on Sunday afternoon. We just got home from the hospital yesterday. Its been a wild last few days!

This makes sense. I was reading the code and trying to follow the moves it would be making. Im not sure why any of the Z would be changing + or -. Also why the depth would ever go to the .9320.

Im doing a screen capture recording on the exact process to export code in VCarve. I'll upload it in a few min.

Thanks again for your continued support!

Heres the link to the video I made of my VCarve process. Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or if I need to change something.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4uxhwwi3z...ocess.mov?dl=0

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you. have a nice day!!!

\

Did you happen to catch the video?

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you happen to catch the video?
    Sorry missed it, I had a quick look and most seemed ok, do you do a preview of the cut before you make the G-code file, and then post the code here and I will check it

Mactec54

Sorry missed it, I had a quick look and most seemed ok, do you do a preview of the cut before you make the G-code file, and then post the code here and I will check it
    I checked two different files. The first file is what I've been working on, The second is a new file with a new shape, same thickness material and same cut depth. The tool is a stock .25 vCarve tool. Compare the two.

Attached Files Attached Files

I'm still thinking it's the machine. I've been reading the coding and it seems to be right. if the machine is changing the tool lengths that would cause the problem-- especially since the cut depths are very erratic and never the same from file to file. But my cut depths and material stays the exact same in every file.

Downloads
    Uploads

I checked two different files. The first file is what I've been working on, The second is a new file with a new shape, same thickness material and same cut depth. The tool is a stock .25 vCarve tool. Compare the two.
    I did check your programs, they are no processed very well, and I could not run either until I changed some of the lines

Dwell is normally G4 P5 not G04 5 I'm surprised it runs on your control like this although I have seen this before and can be just for your control

These lines need the inside brackets removed

(T5 = End Mill (0.25 inch))

(T5 = Vortex - 1/4 Compression (.25))

N90 (Tool: End Mill (0.25 inch))

(T5 = Vortex - 1/4 Compression .25 ) This is normal

N90 (Tool: End Mill 0.25 inch )

Measure the amount the cutter is out of the holder, and then after you have used it, the tool could be moving out in the holder from not being torqued up enough

Both programs are using the same cut depths but the Z clearance is very different

Mactec54

I did check your programs, they are no processed very well, and I could not run either until I changed some of the lines

Dwell is normally G4 P5 not G04 5 I'm surprised it runs on your control like this although I have seen this before and can be just for your control

These lines need the inside brackets removed

(T5 = End Mill (0.25 inch))

(T5 = Vortex - 1/4 Compression (.25))

N90 (Tool: End Mill (0.25 inch))

(T5 = Vortex - 1/4 Compression .25 ) This is normal

N90 (Tool: End Mill 0.25 inch )

Measure the amount the cutter is out of the holder, and then after you have used it, the tool could be moving out in the holder from not being torqued up enough

Both programs are using the same cut depths but the Z clearance is very different
    When you say “dwell” are you meaning the dwell at the bottoms of a hole function? If so, that function has never been checked in any of the drill tool paths I have.

It’s funny you say they are not processed very well, cause this is the post processor Laguna provides. The longer I have this machine the more I want to get rid of it. The deeper I get into learning about these machines and how they function, the more I notice details Laguna failed to quality check. For a $50k+ price tag those issues shouldn’t be there!

I’m gonna get on the phone with Laguna today and see if They have a solution as well. Maybe work it from the machine side for a min.

Any other thoughts moving forward?

I also went and bought a surface pro 6 to run VCarve from. I’ve been using Parallels on my MacBook Pro to run everything. I though that might be causing an issue. But that’s not been the case with the latest round of gcoding I’ve sent.

Downloads
    Uploads

When you say “dwell” are you meaning the dwell at the bottoms of a hole function? If so, that function has never been checked in any of the drill tool paths I have.

It’s funny you say they are not processed very well, cause this is the post processor Laguna provides. The longer I have this machine the more I want to get rid of it. The deeper I get into learning about these machines and how they function, the more I notice details Laguna failed to quality check. For a $50k+ price tag those issues shouldn’t be there!

I’m gonna get on the phone with Laguna today and see if They have a solution as well. Maybe work it from the machine side for a min.

Any other thoughts moving forward?

I also went and bought a surface pro 6 to run VCarve from. I’ve been using Parallels on my MacBook Pro to run everything. I though that might be causing an issue. But that’s not been the case with the latest round of gcoding I’ve sent.
    No the Dwell is at each tool change it is normally used to wait for the spindle to get up to speed, so this is normal to have this for machines like this it is just the format they are using that is different, and this may be just to suit your control

I'm sure the postprocessor can corrected there is a G70 in there also that is being used incorrectly and the brackets the dwell is normal they are just using a different format for it

I don't think it is a computer problem but a windows computer is more suited to the programs you are using

Everything looks to be ok and the programs do run, so I would be checking next that the Cutters are not pulling out of the tool holder going that deep this can happen

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Is it possible that your home switch is moving from home cycle to home cycle?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Too,
    How to get started?
    To get started you have a few options, By default all tutorial videos are displayed in the recommended order, this will help you understand all of the features within the software, however we appreciate that you may only be using Vectric software to accomplish a specific type of job, like sign making for instance. So we have created playlists to help shortcut your learning in a more tailored way. Use the options to choose your most preferred method of learning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12