Need Help! Router bits or collets

Thread: Router bits or collets

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Router bits or collets

I'm trying to cut a keyhole in my material. I have the gcode, but the collets that I have (2) won't accept a 1/4 shank. I have a Chinese 6040 with an 800w spindle. I need to find a key hole bit with a smaller shank or different collets to accept the 1/4 shank. A while ago I purchased some collets from Amazon, but they were all to big for my spindle. Does anyone know where I can get either of these items?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Router bits or collets

I'm going to throw a couple things out here - first, if your collet stays in the spindle cap when when you unscrew it, I'm going to guess that you have an ER type collet. Most of the 800 watt spindles I just saw on ebay have ER type collets. These come in several sizes starting at ER8 and going up from there. This is the outside size of the collet - not the size tool it holds. From what I saw just now when I did a little looking, I'd guess you have an ER 11 spindle. If so, you can get collets for it on ebay or amazon for about a buck each or sets run about $10 and up. The cap of the spindle may be marked as well.Only a guess on my part you really need to find out what type of collet your spindle takes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SEK22Hornet View Post
    I'm going to throw a couple things out here - first, if your collet stays in the spindle cap when when you unscrew it, I'm going to guess that you have an ER type collet. Most of the 800 watt spindles I just saw on ebay have ER type collets. These come in several sizes starting at ER8 and going up from there. This is the outside size of the collet - not the size tool it holds. From what I saw just now when I did a little looking, I'd guess you have an ER 11 spindle. If so, you can get collets for it on ebay or amazon for about a buck each or sets run about $10 and up. The cap of the spindle may be marked as well.Only a guess on my part you really need to find out what type of collet your spindle takes.
    Thanks for the reply. I do have an ER11-A clamping nut. I just order a set of collets from Amazon that says ER11, but they're all to big for the nut. They won't even fit in the shaft properly. There must be a way to replace that part of the shaft with a part that will accept larger collets. I see that they offer extensions, but not sure if that's what I'm looking for. I'll just use my router to do my keyholes until I find out what needs to be done.Thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

If your ER11 collets are "too big" for your ER11 nut, there is something wrong. Either the nut is not ER11, or the collets are not ER11. Got any pictures?

Downloads
    Uploads

You should be able to snap the collet into the nut.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree - here is a sketch showing the dimensions of the ER 11 collet. Hopefully you have a set of digital calipers that you measure your collets with and see what the dimensions are. If you don't the largest diameter is just under 1/2" so it should be pretty easy to see if your collets are actually er11.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router bits or collets-er11-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

. I just order a set of collets from Amazon that says ER11, but they're all to big for the nut. They won't even fit in the shaft properly.
    Huh ? ? ?
    I suspect you have not understood how to load a collet into the nut. Yes, they snap in and out: that is one of their major features. Hunt around on the web and you will find instructions.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FGS View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I do have an ER11-A clamping nut. I just order a set of collets from Amazon that says ER11, but they're all to big for the nut. They won't even fit in the shaft properly. There must be a way to replace that part of the shaft with a part that will accept larger collets. I see that they offer extensions, but not sure if that's what I'm looking for. I'll just use my router to do my keyholes until I find out what needs to be done.Thanks again
    Thanks for the help. I now know that the 11 is the mm width of the skirt of the collet. Even though I ordered ER11 collets from Amazon, that's not what I received. I just tried again and think this time it might be the ones I'm needing.