SCM tech, alternatives to Xilog plus?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCM tech, alternatives to Xilog plus?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SCM tech, alternatives to Xilog plus?

Hi,

I am in the process of "inheriting" a SCM tech machining center for wood. The previous owner is quite set in his ways and only knows one method for each thing he does with the machine.

Basically, we either write programs from scratch using xilog plus, or create text/vector stuff in autocad, save as R12 DXF, open in Xilog, save as PGM and then open at the machine.

This works well enough, except when making more complex things, as described in this post:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/autode...ml#post1053694

My question is whether it is true that the machine will only understand PGM files created by xilog, or if there are any alternatives that you guys might recommend to simplify processes and/or get the most out of the machine. I now need to get it to cut out a pig shape (attached), and it is proving near impossible!

Thanks a lot for any help :-)

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Try this .dxf
    Here's what I did:

Open in AutoCAD.
    Select and EXPLODE
    Use a spline to pline lisp to covert splines to polylines.
    Use PEDIT to close the polylines.

It should work for you.

I use a Morbidelli, which also uses Xilog and .pgm files.
    However, we create all our code in AlphaCAM, and I only use Xilog for editing g-code.

With our Morbidelli, the .pgm files are binary, and can't be created without a special post for AlphaCAM.

However, we have a utility that can convert standard text g-code files into binary .pgm files. I think it's call Xiso or something similar.

If you have this utility, you can use any CAM program to create your g-code, and then use the utility to convert them to binary .pgm files.
    You most likely will need a modified post to include the proper header and correct formatting, but most CAM programs should have this capability.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you're using Xilog Plus you can save any text file with a .xxl file extension. As long as the code is formatted correctly you can then save as .pgm and it will be converted. You just need a post processor for whatever cam program you are using. Alphacam works well with xilog but it's a bit pricey. Vectric software has a post, is relatively cheap and seems to fit what you're doing well. The only catch is it doesn't use cutter compensation; not a big deal in my opinion. It should save you from a lot of headaches. Importing dxf is not much fun on these machines if I recall correctly; maybe the technology has improved though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Xilog is fine for simple shapes, or for writing parametric programs for things like kitchen carcases that might vary in size or detailing. But it is horrible for doing anything remotely complex, and 3D work is definitely a nightmare.

The DXF facility is a good idea in theory but is so fussy and awkward to use that I really cannot see it as a viable longterm solution for a professional workshop.

What you need is CAM software that will output proper Xilog pgm files. AlphaCAM will certainly do this and so will Genio. However, because we have always used Rhino, I wanted something that dovetailed well with that, and so chose RhinoCAM (which is also a tenth of the price of AlphaCAM). It did mean I had to write my own post processor though. I am happy to make this available, but you would have to be quite computer savvy to set it all up.

In your shoes I would definitely look at Genio: .Spai Software Srl.

Service SCM BR

Default CAD-CAM for Xilog

Genio, Alpha-CAM and TopSolid have post-processor for Xilog Plus and Xilog3.
    Genio and Top Solid is more complete. For programation parameters Genio is the Best. Because Mauro Freddo for de Spai developer togheter with SCM Group in Italy.

DXF(AutoCad 2000 DXF) for the Xilog olny programation in Line, Circle, Arc and Polyline.

Sorry my english but i dont speak english, olny Portuguese and Italian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, I just realised I had various replies to my question. Thanks a lot for your input, I will definitely try these programs you suggest. I did at one point get my hands on a copy of Alphacam, opened it, said WTF!!?! and closed it, thinking "when I have more time to investigate...".

Thanks again, nice to see I'm not alone out there :-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Hi, I may be a little late to this question, but I am the reseller for Genio in the UK. I opened your pig and tool pathed it no problem.
    Genio comes with AutoCad 2008 included at the moment, soon to be 2012, so any DXF and DWG will open and can be tool pathed.
    At the moment Genio will output code for Routerlink, Xilog for upto 5 axis machines, and in TPA (Busellato, Felder) for 3 axis machines.
    We also have X Cab for parametric cabinets and X Door for parametric doors, such as house doors including locks, hinges, apertures etc.
    If you need any info let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads

What is the price of genio been looking for a demo version but cant find anything tried alpha cam just wanted to compare them both

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi. Genio has several options, nesting, parametric geometries, 3D surfaces, etc. so the price depends on which bits you want.
    As far as I am aware of the AlphaCam prices, Genio is about 35% of the price for the equivalent spec. I used to use AlphaCAM for 15 years before Genio came out and find that Genio is alot more user friendly. I have done about 120 installations of Genio over the last 6 years.
    Have a look on SpaiSoft
    The full version of AutoCAD OEM is included in the price, not extra.
    IF you're in the UK I can send you a disc that shows video demos of Genio, but there isn't an interactive demo version. Then I could show you via teamviewer what it can do.
    Cheers
    Rod

Downloads
    Uploads

waywood,

I'm wondering if you can help me find the information I need to figure out how to write a post which will output the correct code to create a pgm file for Xilog. How did you pull if off?

Cheers

Scott

I work for the ANZ Autodesk CAM Master Reseller, selling & supporting HSMWorks, Inventor HSM & CAM for Fusion 360. Shapeoko 2 owner

Service SCM BR

Quote Originally Posted by RonnyM82 View Post
    waywood,
    I need to figure out how to write a post which will output the correct code to create a pgm file for Xilog.
    Scott
    The Softwares CAD-CAM Genio, TopSolid, AlphaCam, ProEnginner generation codes already corrteos to the Xilog.
    Actually any cad-cam software can generate codes for Xilog just that CAD-CAM has a post processor for Xilog.

Link for Post Processor for AlphaCAM Xilog SRLink_6_53_51
    https://anonfiles.com/file/5144b5fab...6784d932f091b9

Last edited by Service SCM BR; 07-11-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Link

Downloads
    Uploads

The local AlphaCAM dealer might have (or make) a specific Postprocessor for the XILOG (and everything else) - the standard ones, are not always that good.... If you want to have everything correct at once - then it can save You a lot of time, to have a proper Postprocessor..

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SCM tech, alternatives to Xilog plus?

Hi,
    Can you please relink the file it seems the link is dead.
    Thanks in advance!
    Ross.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ross,

Luckily I was able to take care of this task, which has repeatedly appeared since I posted that original question. Basically, it was done as Gerry suggested, exploding, converting splines to plines and saving in DXF2000 version :-)

cheers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi there , i noticed that u know a lot about scm pratix s5 machines , and am seeking your help . i wanna run a logo from auto cad to xilog plus or from alpha cam to xilog plus . but i dont know how to make a post processor for it .plus to be honest ,am really new to this ,if u tell me the steps it will be great so i can put that machine to use , as my boss sucks at computers hahaahaha and all what he was able to do is make kitchen cabinets in that machine , and does all the rest manually , which i find stupid .please help me to use that machine to its maximum .thanks in advance , and looking forward to hearing from you .here is my email adress driouach88@gmail.com . please send me any articles or videos that will help me understand how to operate the machine and make post proccesor for it .or send me one if u have it .

Service SCM BR

hello, u can do the logo of three basic ways:
    1 - creating a DXF file Autocad 2000 (using only line, arc, circle and polyline) and opening the DXF in Xilog Plus or importing for Xilog Maestro.
    2 - Create the logo directly on Xilog Maestro.
    3 - Use of a Cad-Cam software (Solid Top, AlphaCam, Giotto, Genius, Pro-Engineer, Master-Cam and others) that has already been developed a Post-Processor for Xilog.
    Sorry my english, because I not speak english. I speak Portuguese, Italian, Spanish.

Where you from?

Via iPhone of the Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by the_eraser View Post
    I'm afraid I can't help you with the post processor. All the software I have was bought original from the manufacturer, so the post processor was part of the deal. If it's only a logo, and you have autocad, you should be able to save as DXF from autocad, and open from Xilog Plus or Xilog Maestro. That way you don't have to worry about the post processor. Let me know if you need a hand with this.

Marcos

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have anyone tried Autodesk Fusion 360? Have no idea what would be the best way to convert the codes from Autodesk fusion to something readable by Xilog

Downloads
    Uploads

WinXIso, which should come with Xilog.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Service SCM BR

Quote Originally Posted by aaronboo View Post
    Have anyone tried Autodesk Fusion 360? Have no idea what would be the best way to convert the codes from Autodesk fusion to something readable by Xilog
    How extesion generate for Autodesk Fusion 360. Because for the Xilog is necessary extesion: .pgm or pgmx, or .xxl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast