Who has installed a 3rd party 4th Axis and lived to tell the tale? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has installed a 3rd party 4th Axis and lived to tell the tale?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Who has installed a 3rd party 4th Axis and lived to tell the tale?

The freight out of the USA to New Zealand is the stopper for me when purchasing items at 10kg+ its seriously expensive. My machine is manufactured out of all Chinese manufactured parts all except for my probe. So the accuracy is the same throughout - good enough for me. When I purchase out of China, the minimum consignment for LCL is 1m3 so what I do is run around 2-3, sometimes 4 suppliers. Get the supplier I am spending the most money with, to receive and consolidate everything into one freight consignment. Has worked a treat for a while now. Last time I bought a bunch of PLC tapping arms and sold them to pay for mine. Is a good system.

Think Big Tool Company. (I absolutely love the name) They are the suppliers I am talking too. The unit has a 1/60 gear ratio, with (quote) "the core transmission mechanism adopts a cam transmission mechanism with high precision, zero backlashes, and wear resistance" - looking at the drawing its a flash type of worm drive with bearings on all the drive surfaces?

When you guys are talking about nm (I am a foot lbs guy) are you discussing the chuck rotating during machining and how much torque it needs to withstand the machining forces? To be honest with such a geared down motor I did not even consider I would need to worry about torque with such a large mechanical advantage. Avoid the backlash further by running one direction only?

My other question was for you Craig, 150rpm is quite quick I would have thought, did you find you needed that for rapid positioning? So this unit I like is like I say 1/60 ratio. Anyone tell me I am wrong here thats why I am here. 1/60 ratio @ 1000rpm top speed for my Nema 34, is 16rpm. 16rpm on a 100mm part, with a circumference of 340mm would give a surface speed of 544mm/min - which is yes, quite a slow machining speed compared to 2400mm/min which is what I dial into a lot of programs.

But, if I was to bin the Nema 34 one day and put a 8000rpm servo on the unit I am looking at something considerably quicker - but that would be upgrade time.

Oh - another question for you guys, do you have a little hydraulic pump setup for your brake or is pneumatic the norm? Considerably different, I am thinking I might go for the oil I have a couple of little pumps in my shed off operating tables. Or am I better to stay with the air. When my machine is running my little 2200kw compressor is also running a lot. Perhaps the brake not needing air is a good thing too.

My plan has stuck. I am going to purchase one of the 170mm units for approx US$1350. Inside that purchase will be a couple of large HGR rails that will go on the machine to raise my gantry by 40mm to clear the unit. This will be a quick upgrade from the last SBR rails I have. You know what started this? I was looking for one of those cheap 4 post turrets to put on my little cnc lathe.... then started thinking what else would be nice. It never ends......

Last edited by boydage; 05-27-2023 at 05:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi boydage,
    if you have only 200mm of clearance under the gantry then quite a few of the rotary tables we've discussed are not really going to fit.

Even if the entirety of the rotary table does not pass underneath the gantry the workpiece and vice/workholding need to be able to rotate, for a rectangular part it will rotate in 90 degree
    increments, and must perforce have a radius of 100mm or less and the centerline height would want to be 100mm above the table.

I rather think the device you linked to at the top of the thread and the Tsudakoma units I saw on Ebay are just too big. I'm at home at the moment but I will measure my fourth axis
    and post, probably later today.

I think some of the smaller direct drive tables that Ardenum linked to would fit. The one he recommended was 200mm in diameter, so you might not have clearance with
    that model but might well be OK with a smaller one.

I see you are from Nelson, and I if you have not already worked out I am in Christchurch. Maybe you'd like to borrow my fourth axis for a while to see if it works?. I use it but not that often,
    in fact less that I thought I would...but that's another story. At the moment it has a 3-jaw chuck which is fine for round stock, but if you used a 4-jaw, it would hold
    square/rectangular stock, and would be a comfortable fit for parts in the region of 100mm square. Borrow it, use it and see whether it works well enough and that it useful for your purpose
    without having to spend all that dough......your wife might want it for something.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi boydage,

My other question was for you Craig, 150rpm is quite quick I would have thought, did you find you needed that for rapid positioning?
    No, not for rapid positioning, but rather a simultaneous tool path while the A axis rotates continuously, often at varying speeds, but in coordination with X,Y an Z axis movements.
    With such toolpaths a part may require say 1000 revolutions for the part to complete, at 16rpm that's going to take a while!.

In this regard the direct drive table that Ardenum so likes are very good indeed, having top speeds in the region of 400rpm.

My second servo reducer has a 6.75:1 reduction and thus with a 3000rpm servo I will have 444rpm part rotation which will be a real boon for those parts with a continuous rotation.

There is a cost to a lower reduction: torque. The high reduction units you have looked at will have tremendous torque and would handily rotate heavy parts of considerable diameter
    against cutting forces. If you are indexing, that is to say rotating a part and then stopping to machine that face, that's where the hydraulic of pneumatic clamp come in handy. They lock the
    part in place very rigidly to allow machining WITHOUT angular flexure of the part..

My servo reducer based rotaries do not have that clamping. Thus if the cutting forces attempt to back drive the table then its the servo and servo alone that can resist that.
    In truth the 19.5:1 worm drive does not really back drive at all, but the 6.75:1 worm drive WILL back drive with an applied torque beyond about 10Nm.

The freight out of the USA to New Zealand is the stopper for me when purchasing items at 10kg+ its seriously expensive.
    I bought my fifth axis drive about two months ago. It weighs when packed 8.5kg. I paid $180USD for the part and it cost another $300NZD in GST and freight. I see if I've still got the invoice.
    I seem to recall the GST component was about $60NZD and the remainder was freight. This was with NZ Post's You Shoppe service. Its not cheap but I disagree that
    it's prohibitive.

Last edited by joeavaerage; 05-27-2023 at 07:53 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh darn I forgot about Youshop. I just paid EU$50 for a probe tip and some parts that could have gone in an envelope lol. Ok its been a good weekend of discussion, I have not ordered yet, but think I will go for the heavy duty ones we have been talking about out of China, the gear ratio is going to be important as one day I will want to upgrade to get the speed that I will miss so thats good to know as well. After experiencing a very occasional part move whilst being machined, I am going to go for the hydraulic brake. Possibly overkill but as we progress, the demand we put on our own machines increases. I dont want to regret not going as heavy duty as budget and other constraints apply.

And to be real honest its going to take me a while to install all this - I call it future proofing. Although one day I will really need it, and charge ahead, get it all done in a few days of mad disorganized workshop rushing. And boom, it will be done. I reckon it will be on and functional in the next 12 months. But then again you may hear from me as well, that was a very kind offer and I may take you up on it. I do come through CHC every once and a while there are a few new medical centres being built there - well - everywhere in NZ to be honest. A lot of people are not seeing the investment first hand like I am.

Hey all in all many thanks for the advice.

My height issue is going to be resolved when I install a set of HGR rails, I will add in some machined steel packer blocks to lift my gantry and other items that will need to be lifted by 30mm or so. That will be the easy part. Regards Boyd

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    as I've posted I've got the parts for the trunnion table. They need to be machined, but that's taken a hiccup because of the failure of my servo spindle. I had intended to machine the
    parts myself. The single most pressing need is just to square the plasma cut ends of the table. They have to be square or the trunnion ends would not be square either.
    In truth I need not machine those myself, even if thats what I hoped for.

If I have someone square the ends for me than I could assemble the table in short order, and I have a definite hankering to do so. I could easily disassemble the table at a later date,
    most of the machining required is just cosmetic, but this approach would allow me to get the fifth axis running soon, even if the job is not 100% complete.

I have a years subscription to Fusion 360 Machining Extensions, and its coming due towards the end of July, about $3000NZD (inc GST) for another year. Can't quite see me having that
    budget.....in which case I'll have to let the Machining Extensions lapse, even though Fusion 360 Basic is a slam dunk for me. This puts a premium on getting the fifth axis complete
    so that I still have some time to use what remains of my subscription to generate some five axis toolpaths. These toolpaths will not be indexing but rather five axis simultaneous and
    not really the sort of thing you can write by hand.

If I go this way, and I'm increasingly convinced that is what I'll do, the offer for you to use my fourth axis is a time limited offer. I won't be needing it for the next fortnight
    or so but will thereafter.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by boydage View Post
    When I purchase out of China, the minimum consignment for LCL is 1m3 so what I do is run around 2-3, sometimes 4 suppliers. Get the supplier I am spending the most money with, to receive and consolidate everything into one freight consignment.
    how do you consolidate everything? just give the other shops the address of the one with the biggest order? and the biggest ones are fine with that?

Downloads
    Uploads

Craig who do you use in CHC for the rare machining you need to outsource? I think I have used Vulcan for work but in Nelson I use Topliss who have that fantastic wall of history with the shower mixers. But they also know how to charge. I am keen to hear what other people use for work holding on a 4th axis. Looking, I have seen a chuck with machinable jaws by using aluminum bolted on the jaws. Also have been looking at 3 and 4 jaw self centering chucks, and an independant chuck.

All Chinese with the tolerances to suit. But my whole machine is Chinese so it will match well lol. Out of interest, its all cheap. I am quoted US$100 for a 4 jaw 160mm chuck and about US$60 for a 120mm 3 jaw self centre for example. Craig if you need anything like this I can add something in for you. I am also purchasing some HGR rails. But, like I say its not the highest quality but good enough for me.

In a nutshell, China industry works in conjunction with the freight companies. A Chinese freight company will not release a container without a Chinese manufacturer releasing it even if its on shore New Zealand. The whole relationship is only beneficial to the Chinese if something goes wrong - they look after their own. But - when it goes right, it goes well. I have never had it go bad except for one email hack about 15 years ago where I paid the wrong person $1200 through Western Union - cheeky barstids.

Purchase a product in China and ask for FOB terms. I use LCL shipping, because air freight on 100+kg is a tad expensive. FOB is free to port and you pay the miles from there. The FOB charges a supplier pays the freight company and customs exports is about US$180 per consignment. So in answer to your question, yes, the supplier I am ordering with the largest funds, I ask if they will accept one or two (or three if I am cheeky) small value consignments to consolidate. They only need to add in a line for each on the docs. Sometimes I am asked to pay twenty bucks extra. But, every single time I have done it, its worked out 100%. Infact, I find every supplier I deal with to be extremely honest in business and am yet to have trouble. Its about honor I reckon and I like integrity it goes a long way.

I did try getting my freight forwarder to accept like that. He said, absolutely, no problem, and then invoiced me US$180 x 4 on top of the freight so I wont go there again lol.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi boydage,
    South Fence Machinery did my axis beds. Large company with superb machines....but that comes at a cost.
    Torks Tool and Die do smaller jobs for me. They have a large suite of really top equipment, including a moderate size surface grinder, expensive but
    the best of best quality work.

I have just taken the trunnion table base for the machining that my little spindle can't handle to a company around the corner from here:
    Gearcutting & Engineering. Moderate sized shop with good gear, the boss is approachable. They haven't had the job done yet so still to assess
    the overall performance of the company but they do have a positive reputation.

I like Vertex chucks and vices. Taiwanese company that use Meehanite, a good grade of cast iron.

The problem is that there are chucks. Forged steel chucks from Bison, Gator and Pratt Burnerd are superb but worth a veritable fortune. Vertex, using Meehanite, are much cheaper
    and yet the cast iron is silky smooth like a steel, some even call it a 'semi-steel' Then there cheaper brands using lower grades of SG iron, and the cheapest use grey iron.
    Pay your money and take your pick.

I already have a Vertex 100mm 3 jaw, and will probably get another Vertex 100mm independent 4 jaw, ($147AUD) but looking really to fit a self centering vice on my fifth axis. Good ones are
    expensive, like $500-$600USD expensive....so yet to see. Not much point in dreaming about a fifth axis vice until I've finished the fifth axis!.

I used my mill with a 1/8th inch tool to cut the pockets and do the pilot drill holes for the trunnion, both base and sides. With an 1/8th inch tool it took about eight hours all up, but its done.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who has installed a 3rd party 4th Axis and lived to tell the tale?-fifthaxisprogress3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi boydage,
    thankyou for the offer, but excepting the Delta servos (Taiwanese manufactured in China) I don't get a lot of parts and materials from China.

The two Atlanta Drives for instance came from the US but are manufactured in Germany. They cost about $1500USD each new in the US....so you can guess
    why I'm so enthusiastic to get them for $180USD each. My motion parts (ballscrews, linear guides/cars) came from Korea, and my spindle came from Germany.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all good. Hey are you also using the Fusion machining extension for your multi axis? I just took a quick look its over NZ$2.2k or $316mth - am I correct it will cost me that to use a 4th axis? Wow not cheap at all huh.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    yes, I use Fusion 360 Machining Extensions. Does simultaneous 4 and 5 axis, tool path editing, collision avoidance, the whole works.

Autodesk sold it to me about 11 months ago on an introductory offer for $1200USD, which worked out to $1900NZD inc GST. Not cheap.

I looked around at the competition, like BoBcad, MecSoft etc....and all their simultaneous 4 and 5 axis was anywhere from $5000USD to $10000USD, and I came
    to the conclusion that $1600USD/year over and above the Fusion Basic subscription was fair value, not cheap but fair value.

I don't think I can come up with the money for Machining Extensions when it falls due so will have to buy on a per week or per day basis, at a hefty premium. Don't really
    want to do that but I don't think I can extract $3000NZD from the business right now.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi boydage,

am I correct it will cost me that to use a 4th axis? Wow not cheap at all huh.
    Not necessarily. If you plan on indexing only, then Fusion 360 Basic does that, and there are a number of other programs (cheap) that do indexing and some even
    simultaneous 4 axis, but simultaneous 5 axis........is what 'separates the wheat from the chaff'.

Quite often you can write 4 axis indexing code by hand and insert it into an otherwise standard 3D toolpath. Even some four axis simultaneous paths you can write by hand,
    threading etc......but genuine simultaneous not so much.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi I have another question. I received a catalog today with the direct drive axis mentioned in a previous post. Anyone wants to take a look let me know I will pop it up.

So the unit I have 95% decided on, is one of the 170mm cam driven models with a brake. The brake I will go hydraulic because it wont use my air, and hey, look at the advantages. Lots. And besides, I have a couple of smaller pumps that will be ideal. I also like it because its substantially geared down so the torque will be huge, and I would imagine enough for simultaneous machining one day the motor will be able to hold quite well without the brake. Its also heavy, real heavy. It took me over a year to get my own machine to rigidity to be satis. So everything I build now is rigid, heavy duty, over-engineered. And the results proove.

Speed will be an issue one day. I guess I will have forgotten how much I have spent on this by then and buy a servo.

Anyways - back to the question. Direct drive 4th axis. That to me spells a requirement for a gearbox, so would then make the direct part moot. Or a clutch or something? Or some big nasty arse motor that can hold it from spinning during hard machining? I am very keen to get my head around the direct drive 4th axis. Because I actually really like the look of these ones. Compact for a start.

BTW - I am a very aggressive DIY machinist. Huge rooster tails of chips. Big cuts sometimes and sometimes because I missed something in Fusion and away it went deep and hard, but also proved just how agressive you can be. Know what I mean? So yeh, lots of paranoia about workholding.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I'm trying to get a price for those direct drive rotaries, but they are bloody hopeless, they keep asking all sort of BS questions to get out of giving me a price.

All the direct drive ones I've seen do not have a brake. Thus their torque is the most you can apply without the expectation that the workpiece will move, ie back drive the table.
    This is what I would consider the downside of direct drive. They are very responsive, low wear, very accurate, fast but lack torque authority of a similar sized gear reduction rotary.

Given that I yet to get a price from a Chinese supplier all I can tell you is that if you want an NSK direct drive table you'll pay $3000USD for the direct drive and another $3000USD for the
    electronic drive. Lovely equipment but only the wealthy need apply! To date I've always found that direct drive motors to be way WAY out of my price range.

My 19.5:1 servo reducer does not back drive and so does not need a brake. Worm drives do not back drive beyond a certain reduction.

I seems to me that if you are concerned that you need a brake then you are in effect saying that the rotary table does not have the torque to counter cutting forces, and so could NEVER be
    used for continuously rotating tool paths any way. That just does not make sense to me. I think you are buying a device that has a surfeit of torque authority, beyond all practical use and paying a premium
    for a performance margin that you'll never use.

Craig

direct drive are pmsm's you can drive them with any drive that has VOC. eg. a $500 vector drive from CTB

if you really need more torque get a cycloidal rv reducer and pair it with a regular servo. Here's an example https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004798203784.html you'll get more torque at the price of life only 6000h

craig, what's the torsional rigidity on your worm reducers?

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure why they wont give you a price I got the same email and have not replied to it yet. Mike He from Golden Age Motor Technology Co.,Ltd aye? Perhaps they dont actually have these in stock and perhaps they are fishing for manufacturing specifications via email survey. Dunno. I do find the Chinese ask "how many" in the very first instance.

Re the brake I didnt know they had one until a few weeks ago. As for me, I am quite sure I have been very detailed in the fact I dont know much about any type of 4th axis - well now I do. Like I say my only paranoia is from past experiences with using gear not rigid or heavy duty enough. I have a few thousand NZ pesos to spend after rebuilding my workshop myself and receiving the insurance money. Its the lowest priced axis I can find and it will pay off the first time I don't need to flip a part 4 times in genuine joy and happiness.

BTW I had to google "surfeit". And hey, we can never have too much torque. Rather overkill than the minimum. The other reason I am going for the 170mm model is its capabilities is considerably larger than the smaller 125mm models. My t slot table is just a nick under 1000kg, A little 60kg 4th axis sitting on top will be perfect and wont need to be moved unless I run a large panel through.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    yes I've been struggling to get a price from them as well, and from exactly the same person. He asked whether I knew you, whether we are colleagues, and mentioned you
    by name, which I thought was a bit questionable, a customers right to privacy etc.

Anyway this morning I got this reply:

the price of BGTK12-100/160/200 starts from $4,100/$5,550/$6,950
    and that does not include the encoder, the cables or the drive.

This was an indication of what a complete table cost a European customer, admittedly no specs:

Here is a reference for you, what is the price for a turntable with matched driver and power/feedback cables that European customers need was $6695/set
    The bottom line it does not matter how good they are I cant afford one. Don't know about you?. Maybe we should wait for Ardenum to buy some to tell us all about them.

Automation Overstock have some new old stock NSK Megatotque units for $1500USD. The biggest NSK drive they have, still a bit small for the motor, is $1700USD.

https://www.automation-overstock.com...p?cat=150&pg=2

craig, what's the torsional rigidity on your worm reducers?
    Don't know, and cant find it published, Atalanta Drives publish all sorts of other stuff, like the continuous torque and still get 12000 hours etc.

Before Christmas I was trying to decide what servo I needed for my newly constructed fourth axis, in particular did the servo need a brake, ie would the servo reducer back drive
    under load. I bolted the drive to a steel bench and then used a 3/4inch socket drive power bar to load the drive to establish whether it would back drive. At 100Nm (about 60 ft.lb) it did not
    back drive, in fact did not move at all. I had a dial gauge on the output flange trying to measure movement but I can't be sure that it was the servo reducer OR the steel bench that it
    was bolted to that was flexing the most. I did not get an accurate measurement, but I did come to the conclusion that not only did the servo reducer not back drive, but at 100Nm
    the torsional flex was less than I could reasonably measure. If I had to guess I would have said something like 30 arc min per 100Nm. Say 200Nm/degree. I certainly concluded
    this is a very rigid piece of equipment, and very suitable for the parts I want to make.

That measurement was made on the '4' size 19.5:1 reducer. I have not repeated the same measurement on the '3' size 6.75:1 reducer. The later does back drive but you have to apply
    about 10Nm for it to do so. I concluded that if I could anticipate 15Nm-20Nm torque as a result of cutting forces on the parts that I want to make then a non-braked servo would be
    more than adequate to stop any back driving. Even if the rigidity of the smaller '3' size drive is half that of the bigger '4' size, it is still more than adequate for the parts I want to make
    and size/performance appropriate for my machine.

Oh, and the last issue, is that I can afford them. These servo reducers are worth $1500USD plus new each, and yet I got them for $130USD for the '4' (some years ago now) and $180USD
    for the '3'. That's a lot of quality for the money outlaid. If I wanted direct drive torque motors I'd still be waiting, in fact I can't see myself ever being able to afford them irrespective of how
    good they are.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    the price of BGTK12-100/160/200 starts from $4,100/$5,550/$6,950 and that does not include the encoder, the cables or the drive.
    that's a sh*t price then, they're insane.

https://www.ctbservo.com/product-cat...-vector-motor/ and their $500 drive should be cheaper, add a $200 YRT bearing from here https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...348635889.html, boydage you'd need to make the housing yourself. I guess the best bet now would be ebay then.

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Maybe we should wait for Ardenum to buy some to tell us all about them.
    I'm a proud cheapskate, I'd never pay that much for a single item.

I'll be making my own torque motors so you'll be able to own one in the near future. You're gonna have to prepare a 600VDC bus to power it.

Last edited by ardenum2; 06-01-2023 at 06:13 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ardenum,
    at that price I don't blame you. I had expected them to reply with a price of say $1500USD + the drives/cables. Still too much for me, but at least cost competitive,
    but that does not seem to be the case. I'd rather have one of the NSK Megatorque drives, but they are still too expensive.

I am very happy with the accuracy, rigidity, size/weight, and cost of what I have thankyou....and whats more I've actually got them......no looking at websites and calculating shipping
    etc, I've got them...and that counts.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ardenum,
    I'll be making my own torque motors so you'll be able to own one in the near future. You're gonna have to prepare a 600VDC bus to power it.
    Look forward to it. Here in New Zealand three phase rectified and capacitively smoothed is 575VDC, so very close without any boosting. I worked on welders for years and am
    well familiar with the circuits required to boost the DC link voltage. Certain Miller welders boosted single phase 230VAC up to a DC link of 800VDC.

Craig

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12