DIY CNC, Cinymill remix

Thread: DIY CNC, Cinymill remix

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY CNC, Cinymill remix

Hello all!
    I'm planning to build CNC machine, using Cindymill model (http://www.cindymill.xyz/) as a base. I did a little redesign to fit some parts I already have:
    -Hiwin 2x750mm rail MGN15R and 4xMGN15H blocks
    -PMI 2x300mm MSA15R rails and 2xMSA15S blocks
    -SFU1204 300mm ball screw

Main differences between Cindymill and my design are:
    -using MGN15 and MSA15 blocks instead of MGN12
    -using 4040, 4080 and 3060 T8 profiles rather than T5 versions

My remix of Cindymill model is available here:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/5c4...7193725/5e68ef ~16MB .rar file

This will be my first CNC machine, although I've build couple 3d printers and have some experience in milling using commercial solutions. Actually I'm planning to use one to mill all the aluminum parts (blue color in 3d model). I want this machine to work mostly with wood and occasionally with aluminum. The spindle I'm planning to use is water cooled G-Penny 1.5kW (not 2.2kW as in file) - with 1.5kW dust collector it should work fine connected to single phase (3.5kW max)

If someone with experience could look at the model and parts and share their opinion/suggestions.
    My biggest concern is if I should go with SFU1610 ball screws instead SFU1605?
    I will choose motors later, I'll go with Nema23 size
    I have DMD560-SV drivers already, planning to use 36 or 48V to power drivers and motors.
    Other question is if only two PMI MSA15S blocks will be sufficient on Z axis.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY CNC, Cinymill remix

Hi there!
    Came across your interesting post about your remixed version of the DIY Cindymill CNC design.

I have built the IndyMill CNC and was interested in upgrading to the Cindymill but it is almost impossible to get hold of the T5 extrusions.

Tried to download the attachment but it appears to have expired. Please upload it again at your earliest convenience, I would love to take a look at the mods you have done to the orignial design.

Not sure if you have already built your remixed CindyMill but below are some answers to your questions.

Your choice of the 1.5kW spindle will enable you to mill aluminium quite easily once you have figured out the feed rates and depth of cut etc - that you can do by trial and error. Different types of aluminium will need different CAM settings.

With regards to using the 1610 vs 1605, I think the 1610 will give much better performance than 1605 which will require higher rpm's to achieve higher speeds, and steppers lose torque as RPM's increase.. That being said, ballscrews are not that expensive so you can maybe start with 1605 and decide later. If you are going to be using the CNC for woodworking than having greater speed will go a long way when it comes to completing the job quicker. No benefit when milling non-ferrous metal because the speeds are much lower.

Nema 23 steppers will suffice for most non-commercial use cases, choose a model that has between 2-3Nm torque will be fine for milling and for the size of the Cindymill machine.

The question about whether two PMI MSA15S blocks will be sufficient on Z axis. Do you mean 2 linear blocks per rail for the Z-axis? If yes then you are fine because you will have a 1.5kW water cooled spindle that will need to be mounted to the big z-axis plate that attaches to the ballscre nut.

Cheers!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY CNC, Cinymill remix

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianJot View Post
    Hello all!
    I'm planning to build CNC machine, using Cindymill model (Cindymill | A gentle way to start your journey into CNC milling.) as a base. I did a little redesign to fit some parts I already have:
    -Hiwin 2x750mm rail MGN15R and 4xMGN15H blocks
    -PMI 2x300mm MSA15R rails and 2xMSA15S blocks
    -SFU1204 300mm ball screw

Main differences between Cindymill and my design are:
    -using MGN15 and MSA15 blocks instead of MGN12
    -using 4040, 4080 and 3060 T8 profiles rather than T5 versions

My remix of Cindymill model is available here:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/5c4...7193725/5e68ef ~16MB .rar file

This will be my first CNC machine, although I've build couple 3d printers and have some experience in milling using commercial solutions. Actually I'm planning to use one to mill all the aluminum parts (blue color in 3d model). I want this machine to work mostly with wood and occasionally with aluminum. The spindle I'm planning to use is water cooled G-Penny 1.5kW (not 2.2kW as in file) - with 1.5kW dust collector it should work fine connected to single phase (3.5kW max)

If someone with experience could look at the model and parts and share their opinion/suggestions.
    My biggest concern is if I should go with SFU1610 ball screws instead SFU1605?
    I will choose motors later, I'll go with Nema23 size
    I have DMD560-SV drivers already, planning to use 36 or 48V to power drivers and motors.
    Other question is if only two PMI MSA15S blocks will be sufficient on Z axis.
    Please send a new link to your modified Cindymill model using MGN15 blocks.
    Thank you!