Someone gave me a CNC machine

Thread: Someone gave me a CNC machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Someone gave me a CNC machine

Hi everyone!

Someone gave me a old CNC machine. It came with a controller with a parallel port to connect to the motors and a Pentium 3 laptop.

I wouldn't mind getting it to work, but with something more modern for a controller. I saw this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08BJWF1GY/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

But since I don't know anything about CNC, I thought that I would ask around first.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

zog

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Someone gave me a CNC machine

That will work on newer computers and avoid the issues with parallel ports. You can buy that card on eBay for $22.50 just order one a few days ago

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

your link is one pcs Mach3 card , which you need to setup Mach3 software on computer .
    It depend on which type cnc ,old control system type ,do you prefer computer control or hand hold control ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    that board is called RnR, but is called Bitsensor and other names by the different Chinese manufactures who clone them. They don't support them,
    there is little or no documentation to go with them, and its a matter of luck as to whether you find the correct software plugin. They are cheap, and thats
    the only thing they have going for them.

Go and have a look on the Mach Forum, and count how many posts there are about these boards not working properly.

Despite the extra cost a US or European made board is a better bet.

I use an Ethernet SmoothStepper ($190) by Warp9TD, but there are others like the UC300, and PoKeys 57CNC which are also good and a little cheaper.
    A UC100 by CNCDrive, and not one of the Chinese fakes from Ebay and Amazon are about $120 and plug into the PC by USB. They have a Mach3 plugin, a Mach4 plugin
    and of course a UCCNC plugin. UCCNC is the CNC software by CNCDrive.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zogthegreat View Post
    Hi everyone!

Someone gave me a old CNC machine. It came with a controller with a parallel port to connect to the motors and a Pentium 3 laptop.
    I wouldn't mind getting it to work, but with something more modern for a controller. I saw this on Amazon:
    But since I don't know anything about CNC, I thought that I would ask around first.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    zog

Like Craig said.
    There are issues with these usb boards.
    The .Bin and .dll files from the plugins aren't playing well a lot of the time with win10 and sometimes eveb Windows7.
    The files haven't been updated since Mach.043 release.
    They just get passed around various board suppliers as-is.
    Just look around on forums and you'll see.
    Problems with trying to slave axis as well.

For newer pc's....
    Ethernet controllers is where it's at.

If you have reliable older pc's, win7-32bit or xp-32bit available and only need basic 3 axis hobby use, there's nothing that wrong with staying pport.

Or find a decent standalone controller system.

I really like my UC300eth and laptop setup. Works very well with both uccnc and mach3.
    I looked at the pokeys but support and user base looked questionable imho.
    So ethernet ESS or UC300/400 get my vote.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Zog - I would first get it going with what you have then you will be able to make an informed decision on upgrades once your through the learning curve and your still enthused If your still enthused you have years of joy and pain ahead of you. Generally more Joy then pain....Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zogthegreat View Post
    Hi everyone!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

zog
    First you have to know what Drives / Motors the machine has, Servos or Stepper motors.

So, whatever the Drives are and what control signal they use, it could be and analog signal +/- 10v or a Step / Dir signal, this will determine what control you can use to run whatever you have

That Board you have a link to is not the greatest but can be used if you have a Step / Dir Motor Drives.

Mactec54