Commercial embroidery machine conversion to CNC

Thread: Commercial embroidery machine conversion to CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Commercial embroidery machine conversion to CNC

Ok guys (and gals),
    I'm re-purposing an old zsk embroidery machine to be a CNC. I'll post pics from my phone later today, but in the meantime, i'm creating this post as a place holder and i have some questions. Mostly around stepper drivers and vfd.
    We'll tackle the vfd first. Is there a relatively inexpensive vfd where speed is controlled by the software / controller?
    2nd... stepper motors drivers... There are 2 57 sized steppers, and 1 big one that is round and I'm unsure of the size. (I'll post pics of that one too) The drivers have an AC input of 220v. The first major component in the embroidery machine is a 110V -> 220 v transformer. I THINK (but unsure) id like to get everything on 110v because tranformers are lossy and with the gas prices going up, so will electricity costs. I was under the impression that drivers are driven by DC. So i'm stumped as to why theses would have an AC input. Enlightenment from the masters here would be appreciated.
    I don't know if it matters, but ultimately i would like to mill with this machine.

Parts list to play with, 6 linear rails of varying sizes, 2 nema 57, 2 nema 17, 1 nema 24, The one oddball round stepper, various actuators, various limit switches. I think most of the parts are there. I just need some information and some fabrication. (Ohh the irony of not having a cnc to fabricate what i need. :-) )

Thanks
    -Rich.