Spindle encoder question for the diy guys

Thread: Spindle encoder question for the diy guys

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle encoder question for the diy guys

So a question for the cnc gurus out there. I’m just about to finish up my first cnc retrofit for a hurco sm1 I bought a while back, and I just ordered all of the encoders and it got me thinking about what I want to do for a spindle encoder. From what I gather, the only process that spindle rom is ultra critical for would be threading (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong). And being that threading will probably be the least used process for this machine, though I’m sure I’ll use it a lot more than I think I will, how fancy do I need to go on a spindle encoder? Could I slap on a Hall effect sensor and call it a day? Or do I need to buy something with a decent line count to make sure it’s as accurate as possible ? This isn’t a production machine, not yet anyways, but I would like to squeeze as many of the features and benefits out of owning a cnc as I can. So would a Hall effect sensor be adequate for tapping a hole here and there, or should I go with something a with a higher resolution ?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle encoder question for the diy guys

I rigid tap and single point thread with a 1024 line (4096 quad count) encoder on my lathe, seems to be adequate resolution for the task. While I have a 50 line spindle encoder on my mill, I only am using it for RPM feedback. The only tapping I do on the mill is in manual mode.

A Hall sensor might work, just depends on your controller and software. If your controller will accept spindle encoder input, then I would spend the money on a decent encoder.

Last edited by Jim Dawson; 03-30-2022 at 12:02 PM.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I rigid tap and single point thread with a 1024 line (4096 quad count) encoder on my lathe, seems to be adequate resolution for the task. While I have a 50 line spindle encoder on my mill, I only am using it for RPM feedback. The only tapping I do on the mill is in manual mode.
    A Hall sensor might work, just depends on your controller and software. If your controller will accept spindle encoder input, then I would spend the money on a decent encoder.

Another question to add that's likely related:

What kind of speed will I need on the breakout boards semiconductors/plc circuits for feedback to control?.
    A+A- B+B- Z+Z- & OCZ,GND.
    I'd prob get away with 6N137 types for Z and OCZ (indexing) but what about the A & B?.

Looking at some servo with 17bit.
    Thanks.

Last edited by Jim Dawson; 03-30-2022 at 12:04 PM. Reason: correct grammar in my post