Small Concrete CNC Mill - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small Concrete CNC Mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Small Concrete CNC Mill

Hi Juan - Nice but it will need a cross brace or two. These machines do have some inertia and will move a table around.... Until you fill up the bottom with lots of heavy stuff... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Juan - Nice but it will need a cross brace or two. These machines do have some inertia and will move a table around.... Until you fill up the bottom with lots of heavy stuff... Peter
    Sure, I have some pieces left just for that. But I'll wait to see where they're needed most. The bottom "shelve" will get surely filled with stuff...
    Juan

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Small Concrete CNC Mill

I've glued some of the pieces together, but I've run out of wood glue and so did the hardware store apparently. I've also tested the power supply and the stepper motors and drivers which have recently arrived and everything works as expected.
    Last thing I've done is aplying epoxy to the surfaces the rails will mount to. Attached is a photo of the saddle, I'll do the others next. The wood absorbs the epoxy nicely, I think it will be fine. There will be some epoxy left to coat other parts of the frame as well.

On the Z axis brake, I initially thought of using a resistor across the stepper windings, however that would only make the spindle arm fall slower, it won't stop it. Instead I'll use a small solenoid whose plunger goes into a disc with some detents attached to the ballscrew. When not activated, the plunger will fall into a detent, and when energized it will let it rotate freely. The solenoid will be activated by the stepper enable signal. It won't maintain the exact position, yet that can´t be trusted anyways if motors have been disabled. Way cheaper than a commercial stepper brake.

Due to academic reasons (back to work!) any further development will slow down to a crawl until summer. Perfect times for letting glue/paint/resin dry .
    Juan

Small Concrete CNC Mill-epoxy_reinforcement-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small Concrete CNC Mill-epoxy_reinforcement-jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123