Milli a new composite mill kit - Page 42

Page 42 of 105 FirstFirst ... 32394041424344455292 ... LastLast

Thread: Milli a new composite mill kit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milli a new composite mill kit

Evening All - Here's a historical lifting gantry machine, been busy finding some SiC and Alumina in china....... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milli a new composite mill kit-lifting-gantry-history-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Evening All - I use Rule of Mixtures a lot thru here so I thought I'd include an example using some moulded plastic. Zytel 35% fibreglass has been around for a long time and has pretty std properties.

A simple explanation of ROM is if you add a glass of 50C water to a glass of 100C water you get 75deg C water when mixed...

https://dupont.materialdatacenter.co...35HSL%20BK039B

Using the attached data and ROM calc shows the strain efficiency of the combination is n=0.85. In my calcs I have always used 0.5 as this is the bottom conservative figure. This is called "translation" ie how does the theory translate to reality... rounded particles don't transfer strain as well as longer fibres do... so round ed (like sand) tend to the 0.5 figure.. I'm getting some ALOX this coming wednesday if I use 0.5 solids ratio (by volume) with CSA I should get E90 (n=0.5 in both). If I use 0.6 solids and epoxy I should get E77 so they are my targets. If I use epoxy its about $17200AUD per m3 and if I use cement its about $11000AUD per m3 so hopefully the grout approach works out...I'm sure I can infuse ALOX I have infused sand before a few times.... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milli a new composite mill kit-zytel-plastic-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Peter,

Have you thought about the anchors yet? Options:

1. thinner mounting plate + (more) thinner anchors (more balanced?)
    2. thicker mounting plate + (less) thicker anchors

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Evening All - Here's a historical lifting gantry machine, been busy finding some SiC and Alumina in china....... Peter
    Yes a nice old planer if you can find one that size it most likely will still do a very good job a lot of machine builders added a milling head

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ard - I have two thoughts 1) cast the aluminium blocks in then machine all the required features into those blocks on a large router or VMC 2) cast in pockets then epoxy in anodised blocks then finish machine . I'm leaning towards 2) at the moment.... Sometimes aluminium and concrete don't like each other and the Al corrodes so epoxy is a good barrier. If I use steel I'll zinc plate them prior to in-situ casting or post placement... Doesn't affect the CAD work at the moment. Haven't had luck getting the Alumina I want local but a chinses company is quoting on a suitable spec. Local blasting grit is a bit more cost then it should be but it will be fine for casting test blocks, fingers crossed some may arrive tomorrow. I have made the CSA test blocks into trivets and they are now in my kitchen.... I will need to get some granite sealer they are a bit porous and suck up stains.... real machine parts will be sealed and painted. I'll have to get Gully onto that he's good with paint....

Using local materials ALOX/EP E90-95 ~$17000AUD per m3 ALOX/CSA E80-85 $11000 AUD per m3...... Plate Alum at $9/kg $24300 AUD per m3 so not bad.... Peter

CSA CTE 13.7 ALOX 8.1 Alum 21 steel 12 epoxy 45 cast iron 11 units um/m/C

Yong Ju make big machines. I do like BIG machines....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milli a new composite mill kit-trivett-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-yong-ju-precision-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

thats a planer.

it only takes force in a single direction in a very controlled manner.

doesnt really apply much to a multi axis cnc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ard - I have two thoughts 1) cast the aluminium blocks in then machine all the required features into those blocks on a large router or VMC 2) cast in pockets then epoxy in anodised blocks then finish machine . I'm leaning towards 2) at the moment.... Sometimes aluminium and concrete don't like each other and the Al corrodes so epoxy is a good barrier. If I use steel I'll zinc plate them prior to in-situ casting or post placement... Doesn't affect the CAD work at the moment. Haven't had luck getting the Alumina I want local but a chinses company is quoting on a suitable spec. Local blasting grit is a bit more cost then it should be but it will be fine for casting test blocks, fingers crossed some may arrive tomorrow. I have made the CSA test blocks into trivets and they are now in my kitchen.... I will need to get some granite sealer they are a bit porous and suck up stains.... real machine parts will be sealed and painted. I'll have to get Gully onto that he's good with paint....

Using local materials ALOX/EP E90-95 ~$17000AUD per m3 ALOX/CSA E80-85 $11000 AUD per m3...... Plate Alum at $9/kg $24300 AUD per m3 so not bad.... Peter

CSA CTE 13.7 ALOX 8.1 Alum 21 steel 12 epoxy 45 cast iron 11 units um/m/C

Yong Ju make big machines. I do like BIG machines....
    If you are going to have the machining done outside then go with steel inserts it won't cost any more to have the steel machined vs, aluminum

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec - Agreed if I contract the machining then st or al does not matter. Once I have a mill I can machine moulds that only have thread inserts vs "blocks". I'd prefer aluminium but will decide once more detail is filled in. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - The usual issue with mixing materials is the CTE delta. If I go with the ALOX/EP and I use 60%V alox and 40%EP then the CTE is (0.6*8)+(0.4*45)= 22.8 which is close to AL @ 21 , ST is half that. So aluminium is a good match.. If I use CSA then (0.5x13.7)+(0.5*8) = 10.9 which is closer to steel so the use steel.. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Video from Keith Rucker about a metal planer he is restoring:

Downloads
    Uploads

Evening All - I have 25kg of ALOX being delivered tomorrow so can continue the struggle for the Holy E70!! Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Peter,
    Hope you got that alox today.

https://i.imgur.com/hziPhBl.png

Inside the spindle box, had to do an extension between the spindle and the cartridge, alternatively I could run it direct drive, but no way to do regular belt drive without compromising the structure of the bridge. I really want the bridge to carry most of the motor weight as close to the middle of it as possible.

I'm not sure about the extension though, particularly the bearing config https://i.imgur.com/9xzCViQ.png

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - waiting for ALOx looks like today. In the mean time I've been playing with the laser. Up to getting the CAD/CAM to talk to it. But I pushed two buttons in sequence trying to do something and it "reset" it cleared the memory of the machine!! Bummer. Now I'll have to figure how to set up the machine variables from scratch with no documents. The ARGUS mountain just got a little taller... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

yes, and the bridge is between the columns

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Been away for a couple of days. ALOX now in stock may do the first test tomorrow.. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a cool picture about UHPC inserts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ard - Thanks Sudholt-Wasemannn have a lot of info about UHPC on their site.. Got home yesterday from a shirt trip and my main computer didn't boot!! Seems it liked the rest so much its staying cold... So its off to the tech tomorrow. Can't use my CAD system so I'm forced to do some ALOX casting.... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ard - Thanks Sudholt-Wasemannn have a lot of info about UHPC on their site.. Got home yesterday from a shirt trip and my main computer didn't boot!! Seems it liked the rest so much its staying cold... So its off to the tech tomorrow. Can't use my CAD system so I'm forced to do some ALOX casting.... Peter
    Hey good to hear from you, I was wondering whether one of the outback beasts ate you or something...
    Actually that data is direct copy from durcrete, here's the original repository:
    https://durcrete.de/downloads-english/?lang=en

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ard - Haven't seen any Bunyips in my life. I think I've seen Min Min lights though and the occasional croc.... S-D get their material from Durcrete so the Nos are the same.

So I figured out the weight ratios to get to E70 and set up the buckets and materials and added the alox in 250g units until it seemed too stiff. It didn't want to pour but was like very stiff concrete had to shovel it a bit. By the numbers this is E88+ so happy with that. Once I put it in the mould I jiggled it and it levelled, so wait until tomorrow to release. I think I'll do small manual epoxy mix as well. I'm sure it will infuse beautifully but a simple mix and pour approach would be great vs a vac bag and infusion. Next is to make a mould for a bend test... Peter

some extra numbers:
    1) The addition weight ratio of the alox is 180% so there's heaps in there
    2) The volume ratio is 50/50 so if the alox is 300Gpa then just the ALOXS is E=0.5*300 = 150GPa tops and 0.5*300*0.5=75GPa least so I can back the current ratio off a bit to improve pouring.
    3) expected density is 3080kg/m3 so happy with that so much better then the steel. ALOX density is 3930kg/m3

so comes down the actual stiffness now...

Martec - I have left the high ratio steel block outside and it does show spot rusting...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milli a new composite mill kit-alox-mix-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-shaken-stirred-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-tucked-night-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 02-27-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Evening All - I nearly released the alox brick but decided to check the void of the alox mix. So I set up a cup and did a quick water test. The alox grit has a solid volume ratio of 56% so the 50% cement 50% alox was close to max. If I use epoxy that makes the material (300x0.56*0.5)+(3.5x0.44) = E85 minimum. So using CSA its 75-150GPa... I'll review costs. So next step is modulus testing...plus all along I have been using E=300GPa for the alox and that's not proven by this supplier.... but most references for this material say 300 or more... Peter

modifying the CTE calc:

Hi All - The usual issue with mixing materials is the CTE delta. If I go with the ALOX/EP and I use 56%V alox and 44%EP then the CTE is (0.56*8)+(0.44*45)= 24 which is close to AL @ 21-24 , STEEL is half that. So aluminium is a good match.. If I use CSA then (0.5x13.7)+(0.5*8) = 11 which is closer to steel 11-13 so the use steel.. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milli a new composite mill kit-water-test-jpg  

Page 42 of 105 FirstFirst ... 32394041424344455292 ... LastLast