Milli a new composite mill kit - Page 106

Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 65696103104105106
Results 2,101 to 2,105 of 2105

Thread: Milli a new composite mill kit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milli a new composite mill kit

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi all - Been on a small trip to a machine expo and have had time to sort the 5 axis router I'm working on. I tried two ways to make it smaller and failed. Seems the 80mm spindle drives a lot of the geometry and even using 15mm rails did not help. It worked out close to my Scoot machine size so since I have a Scoot kit in stock I've based it on that kit. Has come together very well. Now to get to CAD detailing it... Peter
    What's your Scoot machine?

Community Moderator RaderSidetrack's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by G-Spot View Post
    What's your Scoot machine?
    Here is Scoot's spec page: https://cncrouterkits.com.au/maker-l...le-cnc-router/

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi - The Scoot on that page is a couple of versions old. The main specs are the same I have extended the Z to 320mm lately. The page is due for an update. The machine base is now made from pressed metal steel not ply or MDF. The ply machines are very strong and stable. I like ply, it takes screws really well and can be made into thicknesses and shapes easily. 17mm of ply is same bending stiffness as 10mm of aluminium and its lighter and damper. Scoot is fully developed for production now. I visualised the B axis for epoch last night. It will have a small problem with the wires and plumbing sticking out of the top of the spindle interfering with the wall when the spindle is horizontal. I may use a square body spindle as this has the connections at the front. Or make a custom cap for the round spindle. Got to get the rest modelled to make decisions. But I'm happy with the B axis concepts. The devil is always in the detail however. Peter

E5 - B2 image - rear view of b axis assembly
    E5 - B1 image - 3/4 view
    E5 - B3 image - side view

scoot 5 - current structural kit for Scoot
    scoot 1 - Scoot series 2 - now I'm at series 6...
    scoot-S3 - recent Scoot build

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milli a new composite mill kit-scoot-5-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-scoot-1-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-scoot-s3-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-epoch-5-b-axis-2-jpg  

Milli a new composite mill kit-epoch-5-b-axis-1-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-epoch-5-b-axis-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi - The Scoot on that page is a couple of versions old. The main specs are the same I have extended the Z to 320mm lately.]
    I like your use of top hat sections, they give you better rigidity than the same section in square tube, after they are mounted to whatever you screw them down to, box section means you have to mount your fixings within the width of the box section.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Although this is the Milli thread I'll chuck some of Epoch into it as Epoch is the proto Milli 5 axis mill. I have started detailing the tilting B axis so have looked at the plate that I'll mount the axis on. The channel is the weak link not the axis plate. I will make the axis plate stiffer with webs and add a cap to the I beam, then rerun... I looked at the axis plate in aluminium and steel. The 25mm steel plate (vs 25mm al plate) results in it only being 7% stiffer so the major deflection is in the flanges of the I section. The axis shaft is only 25mm dia and I thought that maybe the weak link but no. That's good. The rotary table axle is 40mm dia so that should be extra good ... The axis plate will be made from laminated aluminium I think...

Today I was asked to make a carbon fibre banjo tone ring. That sounds like some fun... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milli a new composite mill kit-pull-load-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-trans-load-jpg  

Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 65696103104105106