Milli a new composite mill kit - Page 71

Page 71 of 105 FirstFirst ... 21616869707172737481 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 2100

Thread: Milli a new composite mill kit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milli a new composite mill kit

Hi Ard - Just looked at Gwizard and it calculates the torque required in the conditions spec'ed. So from that you can estimate a force from the radius of the tool.... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Ard - what software are you going to use for the 5 axis programming? Regards Peter
    Mastercam or hypermill, but at this stage thats just hypothethical.

Hi Ard - Just looked at Gwizard and it calculates the torque required in the conditions spec'ed. So from that you can estimate a force from the radius of the tool.... Peter
    sounds great, I'll check it out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ard - I investigated both of these about 12 years ago and back then Hypermill was so much better than mastercam but times change.... Also consider mechsoft much much cheaper and has full 5 axis functions. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Milli's been a back burner project for a while now. Many things to do and only 10 fingers to do them. Here's the Porsche factory with many robots for your interest.

I'll try top get the CF test done asap that will give me some new direction. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All- This looks like some good info on speeds and feeds. Peter

https://www.machiningdoctor.com/calc...chining-power/

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    36-26-36....just my favorite model robot.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

But Marilyn was 36-22-36 reportedly. I noticed one of the robots was called LEONI Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Evening All CNC enlightened ones - to recap on Millis material. I have been looking for a material I can cold cast or vacuum cast that is as stiff as aluminium. I have imported some short fibre carbon fibre that can be dry poured into a mould then infused vs buying long fibres in cloth form. I made the billet mould today for the modulus test. A material supplier I use has offered to do the test which is great. So next is to seal the chipboard so it doesn't absorb its own weight in resin then prep the glass base and organise the consumables.

gas bottle - a little side project today for the workshop washroom. The shelf goes under the workshop next to the gas hot water system
    mould on glass - this is what the infusion casting will look like. I'm going to use the short fibre and do a random cloth billet as well (hence 2 cavities). May as well get maximum info from the freebie test
    ports done - first stage of the part is cutting the resin and vacuum port channels
    tubing fit - checking the resin and vacuum tubing fit in as intended.

tomorrow I'll seal the frame and then start waxing the glass...

Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milli a new composite mill kit-gas-bottle-shelf-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-mould-glass-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-ports-done-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-tubing-fit-check-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Came across this article again in some searching. Always good to revisit something like this. The closing statement is "When the system stiffness is high enough, says Mr. Singh, there is nothing left to damp" This machine is 350N/um stiffness, huge. So for all those trying to design machines and include damping they should be concentrating on making the machine stiff enough for their application then damping is solved. Peter

https://www.mmsonline.com/articles/a...e-for-titanium

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milli a new composite mill kit-stiffness-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It's a nice quote Peter, but it is theoretical. Most of us inhabit reality.

He also notes that hydrostatic guideways provide damping (they damp much more than ball / roller bearings)

Downloads
    Uploads

"Dynamic properties of hybrid machine tool body – Theoretical and experimental investigation" - https://doi.org/10.2478/mme-2021-000
    A paper where they filled cavities in a cast iron lathe bed with epoxy granite with improved damping.
    Relevant as it has often been discussed whether filling a steel or aluminium tube with epoxy granite does anything. I have found multiple research papers that show it does improve damping, although the damping is not as high as a pure epoxy granite structure. I have not found a paper that shows no change in damping
    for Damping: - epoxy granite > epoxy granite filled metal tube > metal tube alone
    For stiffness: epoxy granite filled metal tube = metal tube alone > epoxy granite alone

"Lightweight heavy-duty CNC horizontal lathe based on particle damping materials" - https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2020.107127
    They incorporate particle dampers and nearly halve the weight of a large lathe (460 ton lathe), with an increase in natural frequency and a reduction in vibration.

I agree that maximising stiffness as much as possible is the first step. However there are real limits imposed by weight, materials, size of components etc that mean we will never achieve an infinite stiffness machine.

At present I think a hybrid approach may work quite well. A damp material (epoxy granite, UHPC etc) for the base / structure where size is not a major constraint. Stiff metal (or CF...) components where size is limited (saddle, head) with damping features incorporated (particle damper maybe).

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Pippin - Welcome to 2022 may it be a great year for you. We have to have something to aim at and yes each design element has to be prioritized and understood. Each machine component probably has an optimum material/materials vs one material for all parts. We can't achieve infinite stiffness but we can achieve adequate stiffness. I'll look into the particle dampers... Thanks Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Peter apologies if my first post (reality comment) came across poorly. I did not phrase it well and it's a bit abrupt and sarcastic (had a rough day).

There is some interesting stuff on particle dampers. Difficulty I find is widely varying results on optimal fill ratios etc. Some papers finding 50% fill with X size of Y material, and other 97%...
    May need to be tuned to the individual machine / circumstance

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Pippin that some hybrid frame of steel and UHPC/EG looks quite good.

Hydrostatic ways and drives is basically what Kern does, combined with their thermal control and "Kern Armorith" base material.

Question is if the hydrostatic ways is somewhat achievable for a hobby machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bouyen - anything is possible at hobby level but the hydro bearings are a bit tricky. Look up air bearings this would be a good start. I have played with these a little and would like to make a router that uses them. Its easy with air as the bleed air goes to atmosphere so is clean. But with hydraulics you either need to collect the bleed oil somehow or you need near perfect seals to trap the oil entirely. At change of direction the pressure spike is very large and has to be managed somehow. But comes down to what your trying to achieve.

if you look at a 20mm std car its 65mm long. Its static failure load is 48kN. If you calculate the system pressure to support this load on a 20x65mm patch its 5333psi or 370bar or 37MPa. That's quite a lot of pressure so you need large areas to be equivalent to the std car strength. The std car is dimensioned for a useful life generally not its static strength. Since there is no contact in an air/oil bearing then its life is infinite compared to the rolling bearing type so a lower pressure would work but it has to be high enough to prevent contact and to present as a stiff spring... cheers Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Buoyen View Post
    Question is if the hydrostatic ways is somewhat achievable for a hobby machine?
    INA sells hydrostatic ways in size 45 only, not your typical boxway type guideway

https://www.schaeffler.com/remotemed..._149_en_en.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    "Lightweight heavy-duty CNC horizontal lathe based on particle damping materials" - https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2020.107127
    They incorporate particle dampers and nearly halve the weight of a large lathe (460 ton lathe), with an increase in natural frequency and a reduction in vibration.
    If anyone needs full papers search on libgen.

Last edited by ardenum; 02-07-2022 at 08:46 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Morning All - Thanks Ard the hydro ways look good. Good to know they are out there commercially. They are very stiff as well at 5MPa pressure 50bar. Still a little high for my compressor. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Morning All - Thanks Ard the hydro ways look good. Good to know they are out there commercially. They are very stiff as well at 5MPa pressure 50bar. Still a little high for my compressor. Peter
    fun fact kern micro hd has a unique hydrostatic guideway

I think they keep the whole assembly 'together' (starts at 2:28) by the vertical vector attraction from the linear motor because I can't see any type of mechanical structure to keep it together. Might just be a render thing though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Evening All - I have ordered a diamond coated bit to trial. I picked up another bucket of CF last week and realised I have several buckets of the stuff to use. So may use it on Frankenrouter parts. The supplier recommends 2000rpm and wet. But my spindle is 6000rpm min so we'll start there fast and light. Anybody experienced with diamond grit tooling? It will be 40-50 mesh and 6mm diameter... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All- I have been waxing and polishing the glass and now at 6 coats I can plan the cast.... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milli a new composite mill kit-wax-wax-jpg  

Page 71 of 105 FirstFirst ... 21616869707172737481 ... LastLast