Milli a new composite mill kit - Page 55

Page 55 of 105 FirstFirst ... 5455253545556575865 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2096

Thread: Milli a new composite mill kit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milli a new composite mill kit

Hi Ard - They look like fabrications more then castings? Been busy getting bits finished on my workshop so it can be signed off. Today I get various bits done for the washroom & sewer... May get onto Plank2 next week... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Morning All - been busy building the washroom for my workshop while waiting for Scoot the routers structural parts..... My thoughts have come back to Milli. Has anyone experience with G-Penny spindles? They claim "milling" steel but this maybe engraving? Prices seem to be good, Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Morning All - been busy building the washroom for my workshop while waiting for Scoot the routers structural parts..... My thoughts have come back to Milli. Has anyone experience with G-Penny spindles? They claim "milling" steel but this maybe engraving? Prices seem to be good, Peter
    Depends which one, they are one of the best spindles out there, I have a 2pole G-Penny and it performs very well, but there 4pole with the steel inner housing should be able to cut steel ok with the right conditions, speeds feeds and how rigid the mounting of the work piece and the machine is

The 2 pole inner housing is aluminum so would not be as rigid as the steel inner housing spindle so for the money they are a good buy, ceramic bearings as well if you want which is the best choice for any of these spindles

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thks Mactec - I was looking at their "metal" spindle 1.5kW ER16. Would like a square body version for Milli but round is fine... There's a couple of videos on the net showing 1.5kW spindles cutting steel quite well. But aluminium will be the main metal cut I think in this class of machine.... Peter

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...36e241bdDygosn

Downloads
    Uploads

Thks Mactec - I was looking at their "metal" spindle 1.5kW ER16. Would like a square body version for Milli but round is fine... There's a couple of videos on the net showing 1.5kW spindles cutting steel quite well. But aluminium will be the main metal cut I think in this class of machine.... Peter

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...36e241bdDygosn
    Yes that spindle is really only good for engraving it may be able to do light cutting in steel but it is 2 Pole so won't have the torque at the lower speeds to cut steel

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All- There is a fabricated steel truss mill (triangulated steel tube moving table) in the forum somewhere and I can't find it! I've looked at its videos a couple of times but when you want it you can't find it!! It has a 1.5kW high speed spindle and quotes the feed rates and speeds etc of it cutting steel. Anyone have a clue to where it is? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Is that the machine you are talking about?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Pippin - Yes that's the one thanks. I want to ask him what spindle he's using...Peter

Looked at the thread its old. he just says its an air cooled chinese spindle bought on ebay....

Last edited by peteeng; 06-12-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I love that machine, but keeping it all square whilst welding it must have been a nightmare. I wouldn't attempt it unless I had access to a BIG mill to square it all up afterwards.

Reading the history of the manufacture of my old Gorton mill ( Racine, Wisconsin ), there are stories of them putting the castings outside for several years to normalise/stabilise before final machining. It was built in 1939, so should be stable now ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Brockard executed that build very very well. The triangulation is key to keeping it quite straight while welding. I think he mentions stress relief and finish machining somewhere as well. The triangular trusswork makes it really stiff vs its geometry ticks all round... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Pippin - Yes that's the one thanks. I want to ask him what spindle he's using...Peter

Looked at the thread its old. he just says its an air cooled chinese spindle bought on ebay....
    When you watch it milling the only time it is happy milling the steel is with the very light cuts, If he cut a lot of steel like it was doing for the heavy cuts, the spindle would not last very long

Any of these spindles will cut Steel, ( so will a Dremel ) but won't last very long with cuts that are normal for a regular mill spindle, that is designed to cut steel

You can tell by the sound of the cut that the spindle is not suitable to be doing cuts like it is

His spindle is air cooled 2 Pole 400Hz 220v so just a regular spindle

He set his minimum speed at 6900 RPM which is an unusual speed for an air cooled spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Note that the steel he is machining 12L13 ( like cutting butter for a regular milling machine or lathe ) is around the same requirement's for machining 7075 Aluminum is to machine, the aluminum being a tougher material to machine than this steel, so is not a true test for this spindle milling mild steel like 1018 or En36 Etc. which it still could do with light cuts

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't air cooled spindles normally need to run faster than that ? For example, my Perske 4.4kw is rated for 17500 to 23500 rpm. He was climb cutting the pocket with no chip evacuation, must have been re-cutting a lot of chips. I thing it was leaded free-cutting steel, but even so not a bad effort at all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - I have sent a note to G-Penny to see if they do 4 pole metal spindles. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbit View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't air cooled spindles normally need to run faster than that ? For example, my Perske 4.4kw is rated for 17500 to 23500 rpm. He was climb cutting the pocket with no chip evacuation, must have been re-cutting a lot of chips. I thing it was leaded free-cutting steel, but even so not a bad effort at all.
    Yes it is normally much higher for the Air cooled spindles than what he has it set at, it all depends though on the temperature as to how slow you can run these spindle

If you watch the hole plunging you will see it almost takes a dump when it did a wobble on one of the holes, that was the Bearings being pulled off there contact angle seat

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - I have sent a note to G-Penny to see if they do 4 pole metal spindles. Peter
    Yes they make a 4 Pole spindle, the only one I have seen though is 800Hz 24000 RPM, it would be nice if it was 4 Pole 400Hz 12000 RPM

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

G-penny, I did not know about them, sadly though, some of their shipping prices are kind of artificial, meaning way overpriced for the shipped weight, the cheaper ones makes sense but the better ones shipping almost as high as the spindles, add customs on top of that and you can get something from Teknomotor instead for the same price. Plus you get torque curves from Teknomotor.

Anyway I found this obscure paper on a 'budget' 2-axis milling head. Like those adjustable angle heads but on steroids. I made mockups using 23x10.2x1.7(1mm thick) bellevilles from schnorr and I was able to shorten a bt30 shaft and still get about +3500N on the toolholder while also freeing enough space at the end to put 2 bearings and squeeze a small hydraulic cylinder at the very end. The whole cartridge ended up being approx. 240mm. For the side gears I used mod1 72 teeth helical spur gears. and everything fit just nicely. So space wise it's doable.

The question is who's gonna make it...

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ardenum; 06-17-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ard and others - Milli has slowed down a bit, its crawling I suppose; its been the far horizon project. I have to finish my workshop washroom (the sewerage gets signed off today , the list is getting smaller), concurrently build YaG then use YaG to build Frankenrouter, Then I can get back to Milli. Plus my commercial and family stuff...Tecknomotor certainly have a good range of product. Will send them a note for a price on a 12000rpm model. My current Milli thoughts are to billet machine it out of aluminium. The machinist I use has a wonderful big 5axis Mazak that would do it justice... Then everything would mate and fit together perfectly... If I was building a one off at home I think CSA/UHPC is the go. Until I crack the E70 plus cast material its tough to beat aluminium unless I commit to carbon fibre.... I've tidied the workshop bench and will try to get to Plank2 next week, then at least that question is answered... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Re G-Penny 4 pole. They have responded over a couple of messages until I get the message right with my "Friend". They only have the 4 pole 24000rpm available so shall look at tecknomotor they have 12k rpm in their list... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Built the Plank 2 mould this morning. Its cold here and my epoxy filler in the washroom floor was not crisp enough for sanding so built Plank2 instead of sanding. Will fill it tomorrow afternoon. Have to decide if I put in witness holes or not, to monitor the progress of the flow... Probably will. Next is to pull it down, deburr everything and wax everything. Then build the bag and do the calcs for the fill... Will be Alox and epoxy. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milli a new composite mill kit-closed-mould-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-open-mould-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-tubes-trapped-jpg   Milli a new composite mill kit-vacuum-resin-end-jpg  

Page 55 of 105 FirstFirst ... 5455253545556575865 ... LastLast