Over complicated power feed using stepper motors

Thread: Over complicated power feed using stepper motors

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Over complicated power feed using stepper motors

I have a Grizzly G0781 and made a homemade power feed
    using a car seat motor and speed controller. Works great. I had some stepper motors and stepper drivers laying around and wanted to see if I could make a power feed with them. Found this signal generator on Amazon and works good. https://www.amazon.com/15-160V-Adjustable-Controller-Generator-Regulator/dp/B07HNSVMVH/ref=pd_bap_m_rp_2/138-0303090-8124171?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07HNSVMVH&pd_rd_r= 1bd2e0a1-986c-4f53-a3bf-d5bb92ff2221&pd_rd_w=GR9tr&pd_rd_wg=0yYHy&pf_rd_p= b1335604-246e-4b5e-8fbd-a1c826ead4a3&pf_rd_r=T898R9H6M4M9DD36TTW5&psc=1&re fRID=T898R9H6M4M9DD36TTW5

Only thing I don’t like is to change direction it has a DPDT push on push off switch. Is there any way to change this to a on off
    on switch? Thnaks
    In advance. Joe

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Over complicated power feed using stepper motors

Interestingly, I just went thru this. I have a HF mini mill I figured was overkill to fully CNC, but sure wanted power feed. Yet, because I used Steppers, I can always convert to CNC easily.

Now that particular pulse generator you listed was very problematic for me. The pulse trains were messy, and the switches you point out are nearly impossible to remove from the board and relocate so they could be used ergonomically.

What I found however is this unit, which works FANTASTIC. They take a while to get delivered, but after I had great results with the first ones I ordered so I ordered more for future stepper projects. These are awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I've had incredible results with this one over the unit you listed, and it offers some really nifty functions like running to a limit switch and stopping or running to a limit and reversing.

In order to operate each axis, I used 10K Pots with on-off switches on them, one on each axis. The image shows the prototype panel. Things were laid out for operational ergonomics, where I can rest my hand on top the box they are mounted in to operate without stress. On the side of the box the switch panel goes in is an E-Stop that simply removes the ENABLE signal if I need to stop travel in a hurry, or even just manually mill for a second or two. I do have some changes planned with the text when I make a permanent control panel.

I can turn any axis ON with that pot switch, then slowly dial up to the speed I want. While running, I can flip the direction switch and the pulse gen does a nice job changing directions immediately. I also installed "Nudge" momentary switches. Without the Pots turned ON, by using a momentary switch along with a resistor to feed power to the pot input as if it was turned on, I can nudge at a speed based on the resistance I chose. One probably could put in a rotary switch to choose a slow, medium and fast nudge if desired.

I will be putting together some power feed systems for my Lathes with these soon. Love them !

The amazon name listing is "DKC-1A Industrial Stepper Motor Controller" if the link does not work.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Over complicated power feed using stepper motors-mm20200610_170559-prototype-jpg  
    Chris L

Downloads
    Uploads

Hopefully this link works

https://www.amazon.com/15-160V-Adjustable-Controller-Generator-Regulator/dp/B07HNSVMVH/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=stepper+motor+con troller&qid=1594514568&sr=8-3

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you happen to have a wiring diagram for this? I can’t seem to find any information on the DKC-1A

Quote Originally Posted by datac View Post
    Interestingly, I just went thru this. I have a HF mini mill I figured was overkill to fully CNC, but sure wanted power feed. Yet, because I used Steppers, I can always convert to CNC easily.

Now that particular pulse generator you listed was very problematic for me. The pulse trains were messy, and the switches you point out are nearly impossible to remove from the board and relocate so they could be used ergonomically.

What I found however is this unit, which works FANTASTIC. They take a while to get delivered, but after I had great results with the first ones I ordered so I ordered more for future stepper projects. These are awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I've had incredible results with this one over the unit you listed, and it offers some really nifty functions like running to a limit switch and stopping or running to a limit and reversing.

In order to operate each axis, I used 10K Pots with on-off switches on them, one on each axis. The image shows the prototype panel. Things were laid out for operational ergonomics, where I can rest my hand on top the box they are mounted in to operate without stress. On the side of the box the switch panel goes in is an E-Stop that simply removes the ENABLE signal if I need to stop travel in a hurry, or even just manually mill for a second or two. I do have some changes planned with the text when I make a permanent control panel.

I can turn any axis ON with that pot switch, then slowly dial up to the speed I want. While running, I can flip the direction switch and the pulse gen does a nice job changing directions immediately. I also installed "Nudge" momentary switches. Without the Pots turned ON, by using a momentary switch along with a resistor to feed power to the pot input as if it was turned on, I can nudge at a speed based on the resistance I chose. One probably could put in a rotary switch to choose a slow, medium and fast nudge if desired.

I will be putting together some power feed systems for my Lathes with these soon. Love them !

The amazon name listing is "DKC-1A Industrial Stepper Motor Controller" if the link does not work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Over complicated power feed using stepper motors

I had put this together for the lathe.... I hope you can open a dwg with something and that the quality is good enough.

On my mill, I have controlled my maximum speeds by raising or lowering the microstepping settings so that the Pot gives me the best possible option for each individual axis as they are all driven with a different ratio.

The center off direction switch lets me keep the speed setting but stop the drive if necessary, prior to continuing or reversing. The 10k Pot switch allows me to turn it on and it does not move immediately... I have to increase the pot just a little and I get a nice smooth start. Switching between directions for me has also proved to provide a nice ramp down and ramp back up with no jarring at all.

I've gotten pretty good at "dialing" corners in using the Pots for X and Y simutaneously for rounding corners. Not really round, but smooth paths for the direction change anyhow.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Chris L