750 sabre y axis play

Thread: 750 sabre y axis play

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 750 sabre y axis play

hiya guys, im new to cnc milling and purchased a old 750. it seems to have a bunch of play in the y axis and assume it needs a "ball screw" i think its called. is there a guide or any advice floating around on this topic.
    ive been told something can be reconditioned if i send it off but would like to have a go at changing the part myself.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 750 sabre y axis play

Before replacing (or reconditioning) the ballscrew you want to identify whether the "looseness" is actually in the ballscrew or the support bearings (or possibly the coupling). If you are new to machining, I'm assuming your tolerances won't be extremely tight so a little wear in the ballscrew may be acceptable (at least short term). You can isolate the various components to determine how much of the backlash is in the ballscrew versus the bearings. Greg Wood just posted this procedure in another thread a couple weeks ago (see thread labelled "New Cinci Arrow 500 Problem")

Downloads
    Uploads

Before replacing (or reconditioning) the ballscrew you want to identify whether the "looseness" is actually in the ballscrew or the support bearings (or possibly the coupling). If you are new to machining, I'm assuming your tolerances won't be extremely tight so a little wear in the ballscrew may be acceptable (at least short term). You can isolate the various components to determine how much of the backlash is in the ballscrew versus the bearings. Greg Wood just posted this procedure in another thread a couple weeks ago (see thread labelled "New Cinci Arrow 500 Problem")

Downloads
    Uploads

i ended up getting a engineer out, it transpired that the coupling had come loose when the machine had been transported to me. it was all fixed in an hour or two.