Arrow 750 VFS5 Drive Alarm

Thread: Arrow 750 VFS5 Drive Alarm

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Arrow 750 VFS5 Drive Alarm

Yesterday I went to power on thr machine and did thr axis alignment and I noticed for the spindle alignment, the spindle didn't turn and and the control gave me and alarm. I went to the drive and the Fault light was on too. I restarted thr machine 2 more times and still the same result. Any tips on what to do? I looked over thr manuals but it seems like I need to attach a laptop with the Montionlink software to read the alarm, but is there a way to clear the alarm and see if it works?

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arrow 750 VFS5 Drive Alarm-20221014_232130-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Arrow 750 VFS5 Drive Alarm

As you mentioned, motionlink is the best way to determine what is causing the fault because the drive will store the most recent fault codes (don't keep turning power off and on or the small history will have nothing but indications that the power was cycled).

Regarding your question about how to "clear the alarm and see if it works". The VFS5 clears all active faults each time power is cycled so you do not need to do anything to "reset" them. You must turn off the main disconnect to remove power from the drive to reset it though, just restarting the control will not clear the fault. If the fault light comes on immediately when you turn the power back, whatever caused it to occur is still present.

If the Fault light is not on when first powered up, monitor it as you start the machine. Does it fault when you power up the servos? Does it only fault when your spindle tries to move? Depending on when the fault occurs (and what motionlink shows as the cause of the fault), will help determine where to look next.

Downloads
    Uploads

Since there is no further action in this thread, I take my chance to continue it with a similar problem.

My VFS5 is in 'ERR 12' state meaning overcurrent alarm.

I've measured for shorted motor wiring - all ok.
    Transistors are within 0.362 - 0.370 volts between BUS+/- and Ma, Mb and Mc.

I've then pulled the drive, opened it up and brush/vacuum cleaned it, as it was quite gunky.

Next would be to source caps and do a recap.

What I need help for is to source detailed schemes of the main board - is there any place to look? Can not find any of such at Kollmorgen.

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

...you may want to check your Spindle Contactor as is suggest in this thread
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cinci...-overload.html

Thank mav ,gwood

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...you may want to check your Spindle Contactor as is suggest in this thread
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cinci...-overload.html

Thank mav ,gwood
    Thankyou for the suggestion - the contactor is OK.
    I also disconnected the spindle motor upon start/alignment and the drive still throws overcurrent alarm - so based on an earlier experience I had with a BDS4, I think there is something wrong within the internal circuitry of the VFS5.

I can communicate with it and the TL-file looks good for what I can compare with in its manual.

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are the TL-parameters;

;TL VFS5 v1.1.0C-c
    ;
    MOTOR = V-2031EN
    ;
    AMPS = 40
    VOLTS = 230
    ;
    ;
    ;UNITS:
    ;
    INUM = 4095
    IDEN = 100
    VNUM = 44739
    VDEN = 10
    ;
    ;
    ;TUNING VARIABLES:
    ;
    KP = 2000
    KPROP = 2000
    KV = 7705
    KVI = 1000
    LPF = 1
    LPFHZ = 100
    ;
    ;
    ;PROTECTED VARIABLES:
    ;
    AMPS = 40
    ANGLD = 0
    BSLIP = 3500
    FOLDD = 500
    FOLDR = 1600
    FOLDT = 800
    IBASE = 98
    ICONT = 40
    IMAX = 100
    IND = 1
    IZERO = 25
    MADV = 0
    MANG = 165
    MSLIP = 0
    POLES = 512
    SGOOSE = 0
    SLOPE = 30
    VADVTBL = 12500
    VBASE = 2500
    VMAX = 12000
    VOLTS = 230

ERR 208 'C12' INTERNAL

There's a DALLAS chip in this drive. Could a dead battery in the Dallas-chip cause an overcurrent fault?
    If there perhaps is a parameter that defaults on battery loss - and this parameter then will set a too low current limit for the drive somewhere?

Downloads
    Uploads

Had some time with the drive today, inhibiting optocouplers one by one.

Drive out, dismantle, solder jumper on opto 467F on the mainboard.
    Put drive back together and into machine, power up, enable drive by terminal view in MotionLink+
    - still overcurrent alarm.

Did this with every HP4503-opto (#405F, #324F, #215F, #133F, #60F) and also the two ILD5 9505H optos (#210 and #211).
    Same result in MotionLink - not able to override the fault, so the drive still throws overcurrent.