Arrow 500 Axis 'Drive Ready' signal missing

Thread: Arrow 500 Axis 'Drive Ready' signal missing

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Arrow 500 Axis 'Drive Ready' signal missing

My 1997 Arrow 500 is shutting down with an Alarm saying, Axis 'Drive ready' signal missing.
    Cause: The axis drive signal has been lost.
    Input cr_axes_rdy (100:00/32 is off)

All the drives come on normally all green led lights, until I hit cycle start. It loads the tool the spindle spins up, z axis moves a couple inches, then it's as if somebody hit the e-stop. Everything stops and I get the alarm message.
    Anybody got a feel for what may be the cause of this.
    Could a bad servo cable or servo cable connection do this.
    Could a bad psr module do this.
    I've got run of parts hung up because of this, help would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Could a bad servo cable or servo cable connection do this. - Yes
    Could a bad psr module do this. -Yes

But many other factors can as well. Each drive has a "Ready" contact that is closed when it is enabled. Any fault in the drive and it will open the contact to trigger the fault.

I have written up several summaries on this alarm for people before before so if you search you can likely find a lot more info.

Overvoltage, undervoltage, shorts, open legs, internal drive failures, poor connections, power supply failure etc. can all cause this and each has a different troubleshootimg procedure.

I've also seen it from undersized power cable, incorrect or faulty transformer, bad motor, bad motor cable, bad feedback cable, bad drive, short in I/O, etc.
    And then there are the mechanical possibilities.

Start by watching the drives when pressing cycle start. If one axis drive faults before the others it gives you a place to start but even then, a faulty PSR4 could let the DC voltage drop too much and one drive will fault first because it has a lower threshold than the others.

You can also modify the program so only one axis moves at a time when starting up which may help identify what is failing. Starting spindle while rapiding in XY and Z to the part is efficient for thr program but puts a large load on your PSR and incoming line voltage all at once.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Arrow 500 Axis 'Drive Ready' signal missing

Since my first post I've tried a few things to see if I could isolate the problem.
    One thing was to manually position the table to where the cut starts so only the spindle wind up and z axis move would be moving, this had no effect 'drive ready' signal still missing.

I then decided to try programming slower spindle RPM, this along with small adjustments to spindle speed dial knob got the machine making parts again and I was able to run a few loads of parts, however it did shut down once, but then went back to operational after powering back up and tool alignment.
    It would seem the problem exists during spindle wind up.

I installed this machine back in 07 running on a phase perfect dpc 10 solid state phase converter which powered the machine really well until fall of 19 when the phase perfect quit working.

I purchased a American Rotary AD 20 and that ran the same, good performance until as of the last couple of days getting the drive signal problem.
    I checked the power at the switch and it shows 240v 240v 238v seems reasonable, I guess.
    Programming spindle speed commands thru MDI mode has no problems, I can do whatever I want any RPM
    I guess my next move will be to watch the drive LEDs on cycle start.
    Ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads

The spindle motor is the most powerful motor on your machine so any issue with your incoming power would be more likely to show up while your spindle is ramping up.

Monitor your DC bus and incoming ac voltage while the spindle is accelerating. Your AC should remain stable on all three legs and your DC should drop but probably no more than 15%. My guess is you're seeing too large of a voltage drop which is causing the drive to fault.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Arrow 500 Axis 'Drive Ready' signal missing

Thanks for the help and suggestions I'm going to look into good quality digital multi meter.
    What brand multi meter do you use.

Downloads
    Uploads

I actually carry about 6 meters with me because each has advantages for specific tasks. For what you need to do, you want a True RMS with a fast refresh rate (the display always lags behind what is actually happening) or a good Min/Max function to capture the fluctuation.