Arrow 2 1250C Realtime Timeout

Thread: Arrow 2 1250C Realtime Timeout

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Arrow 2 1250C Realtime Timeout

Okay. So I read a lot of these posts in this forum to learn from everyone else and the issue that they have. However, with all that info, these machine are still quite complex and confusing. My machine is getting to a point where I am going to have to start addressing all the issue. One of which is Z axis bearings which will be another post possibly, but I think I can manage. But the one I cannot is the Work Station Board and the Real Time Board issues. Randomly I get alarms for Realtime Timeout and with it it normally stops running the machine. I shut it down, then boot it back up and cross my fingers I get another few days to weeks out of it before it happens again. Today however, I got this alarm again. Although this time the machine is continuing to run as normal, with the exception that the screen is not showing any movement in the axis' or the program is not moving forward. I am currently letting it run with optional stop on for now and will restart after this tool is over. But my question is, what causes this? Batteries in the WS or RT board getting low? Bad connections on the bridge board between the two? A bad RT board? How can I help narrow this down? I am thinking of pulling the computer out of the cabinet and replacing both batteries on the boards. Then afterwards maybe un plug and re plug every board/connection to make sure it has a good solid connection. Could this maybe solve these issues? It doesnt happen very often, so if it were a low battery Id feel as if itd happen more frequently, I could be wrong though. Any input on where to start would be great. I did add a heat exchanger to the door of the cabinet to help keep the cabinet a bit cooler as I know heat really kills electronics.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arrow 2 1250C Realtime Timeout-20190904_085500-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Arrow 2 1250C Realtime Timeout

The boards have a watch battery that doesn't last forever, it's only a matter of time. If you try to replace the 2 batteries you will lose everything. You can pull out the boards and check the battery voltage but do not remove the battery!!!!!! A new battery is about 3.3 VDC. We have an adapter that puts a new battery in parallel with the old battery then the old battery can be replaced then adapter can be removed, works great. Where are you located?

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Downloads
    Uploads

I do know the batteries dont last forever. I also know to NOT remove the batteries without the boards being powered. However, can low or dead batteries cause the issues that I am seeing? Or is this a different issue? As for replacing the batteries, can I dissemble the entire computer out of the case and reassemble outside the case on a work bench and be able to access the RT battery? I replaced the WS battery sometime ago and I remember that being the easier one to replace of the 2, but dont remember if you could access the RT battery at all if the computer was built outside the case and propped on a bench? If this is sitll not possible then I will have to look into those adapters for changing the battery. I am located in Rochester NY

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JordanMach View Post
    I do know the batteries dont last forever. I also know to NOT remove the batteries without the boards being powered. However, can low or dead batteries cause the issues that I am seeing? Or is this a different issue? As for replacing the batteries, can I dissemble the entire computer out of the case and reassemble outside the case on a work bench and be able to access the RT battery? I replaced the WS battery sometime ago and I remember that being the easier one to replace of the 2, but dont remember if you could access the RT battery at all if the computer was built outside the case and propped on a bench? If this is sitll not possible then I will have to look into those adapters for changing the battery. I am located in Rochester NY
    I've had similar problems in the past. Try replacing the computer power supply.

Downloads
    Uploads

the problem is in the Real Time Board ... this fault has nothing to do with the battery... your card is damaged... you can do the board life last a little longer if you put a fan in the processor

Downloads
    Uploads

I am really afraid the RT board is whats bad. After today the machine will be finished from running a production job for the last 9 months. Once we are done I am going to disasemble the computer in the back. Clean all dirt/dust that MAY have made its way in there. I will add another fan to the computer. I have already added a very large heat exchanger on the door which sucks are from right above the PC and the blows the cooled air to right underneath the PC. I was hoping this would be enough air flow pulling the heat up and out to where I didnt need to add a fan to the PC. I will also reseat all the cards. I will replace both batteries while I am in there. And I will replace the PSU with a new one. Maybe just maybe after all those things will I make this issue go away. I also need to assemble and replace my Z axis power and encoder cables while I am at this. Thats an entirely different issue which I have already figured out and purchased all the cables and connectors needed. My cables going to Z axis motor are all flaking and falling apart for some odd reason? I will post an update once I get all these issues sorted and let you know how it all goes and if my issues go away or not.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have had the same issues on and off. Typically it is either the RT board or the connection between the RT board and the Bridge board. The thing to keep in mind is that these boards are just a 486 mother boards. Back then you could not plug and unplug peripherals (mouse,keyboard etc. or in this instance RT board) without rebooting. If your WS board loses contact with the RT board even for a millisecond you will need to reboot to get everything going again. As your processor and ram age they will slow and stop occasionally. Now days your computer just seems a bit slow then chuggs on. But on these old boards the WS board stops comunicating with the RT board for an instant, causing a Realtime alarm. Typically replacing the ram and or the processor fixes the board right up. The challenge is tracking down the correct ram and or processor. Hope this helps.

Downloads
    Uploads

Funny, my cables are doing the exact same thing.

Downloads
    Uploads

ikjake - This does help some. When I take the PC apart to clean, reseat connections and replace the battery; I will also write down the specs of the Processor and Ram that is in it to keep on my search list. I sure hope I can fix this without needing to find a whole replacement board. Maybe Ill even take the heatsink off the processor and put new paste on it to help with cooling. Unless its that glue style paste where yo dont have a clamp that holds the heatsink on?

coop31 - Are you having issues with all of your cables? Or just your Z axis? I have already replaced power and encoder cables on my X axis. Wasnt due to the outside falling apart. I had slight resistance from one end to another. I think it was the connector at the servo motor, however I decided when I replaced the connector that Id just replace the cable as well so it was all new as the cabling didnt cost that much once I was already in there that far. But for some reason, just my Z axis jackets are dry rotted and flaking apart. I am getting a lot encoder errors. I either get ALL encoder errors, which leads me to believe its a board in the PC. But once in a while I get ONLY a Z axis encoder error. I never get any other seperate encoder error. So I hope that replacing my cables with new built ones and cleaning up my PC that all these issues will go away.

Thanks everyone for the input! The machine is sitting empty at the moment. However the week I finished that production I myself have been swarmed with all my custom detail work which is going to keep me overly busy for the next 6-8 weeks. I will update everyone with my outcome of this work.