Machine On Fire...

Thread: Machine On Fire...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Machine On Fire...

Hey guys, as the title states, I had a fire on one of my 750's a couple weeks ago.

Started the machine in the mourning and aligned the axis and tool changer. Everything was fine. Started a tool change and the breaking resistor started to smoke. Hit the e-stop button just as the flames started to come out of the vent holes in the resistor box. A split second after I hit the estop the breaker that feeds my phase converter blew. Flames only lasted a few seconds, but the whole shop was filled with smoke.

Once the smoke cleared and I settled down, I had a look at the resistor. It was a bit dirty (I assume I burnt all the crud off) so I took it apart and cleaned it. Checked the resistance and it matched the label on it, so I put it all back together. turned the machine back on, and it booted up just fine. Hit the green button to enable the drives and got an error "Axis Drives Are Not Enabled"

Any ideas on what caused this, and what to do to repair the problem?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Machine On Fire...

Check the psr4.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

anyone else?

Downloads
    Uploads

The Regen circuit failed on one of your drives, yes i've seen the old school resistors/drives do this more than once.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    The Regen circuit failed on one of your drives, yes i've seen the old school resistors/drives do this more than once.
    Most likely. regen IGNBT shorted closed, putting full incoming power into resistor.

Depending on the PSR4/5 size (240? 275? 285?) we put fuse in series with it; of blown, we will report FAULT on PSR/45 fault contact (won't close). You should see a red fault lite on it. This will prevent aligning IIRC... Time for a POSR4/5 repair by a competent repair shop?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, the power supply was the issue. Brought it to an old electronics guy here in town and he repaired it for me. This power supply was one I had bought from ebay when the original one went out on me. He was able to repair the original one as well, so now I have a spare.