Problem Arrow 1000 Encoder error on all axis

Thread: Arrow 1000 Encoder error on all axis

Default Arrow 1000 Encoder error on all axis

We have an Arrow 1000 with Vickers drives. We have been experiencing intermittent fault which caused the machine to shutdown.

We get 44-52 C Axis Encoder Error, X Axis Encoder Error, Y Axis Encoder Error and Z Axis Encoder Error all in succession together..

The last time this happened we checked some connections, restarted the machine and were up and running for awhile.

I have a hunch that something is vibrating loose but have no way to pinpoint it. Any suggestions?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Arrow 1000 Encoder error on all axis

What control do you have???? When you say Vickers drives, what color are the drives?? Where are you located?

The machine is a year 2000, Acramatic 2100 control. The drives are light gray and blue. We are located in Pittsburgh, PA.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would think they are Kollmorgan drives and you should contact KILROY WAS HERE.com Do you have scales on your machine or just motor encoders. Motor encoders go to the drives then to the A2100 control . Are the drives on and show a flashing U on the drive display?? Put a pic of the drives.

After a little more research I think they are Kollmorgen based drives. The machine does have scales but when it was installed (used) the scales were disabled and motor encoders used due to an issue with one of the scales I believe. When the machine is running the drives flash "u", after the error there was a "-" on all displays.

Arrow 1000 Encoder error on all axis-img_20190627_065826-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arrow 1000 Encoder error on all axis-img_20190627_065826-jpg  

I believe we have resolved the C,X,Y,Z encoder issue. The plug to the power supply near the realtime/DV5 boards was loose... After roughing for a few hours it was coming lose to the point where it momentarily lost connection.

We ran the machine for 4 - 5 hours facing some material and now have a "spindle not at speed" error. We've had this error in the past but it was along with the encoder errors so we thought maybe they were connected. Any thoughts on where to look for "spindle not at speed"? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PensFan1028 View Post
    I believe we have resolved the C,X,Y,Z encoder issue. The plug to the power supply near the realtime/DV5 boards was loose... After roughing for a few hours it was coming lose to the point where it momentarily lost connection.We ran the machine for 4 - 5 hours facing some material and now have a "spindle not at speed" error. We've had this error in the past but it was along with the encoder errors so we thought maybe they were connected. Any thoughts on where to look for "spindle not at speed"? Thanks.
    Scratch that, still have encoder errors just seeing the "spindle not at speed" along with them now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just checking in to see if you found the issue for this or not? I dont have the same drives, I have the Siemens drives in mine, but I do have the A2100 though. I randomly receive an alarm on all axis encoders. All I have to do is restart my machine and I am usually good to go for the rest of the day. I do however want to see if I can get this fixed before it gets worse. I am thinking on taking the computer out of the back and replacing the batteries on both boards and also disconnecting all connectors on the drives and reconnecting and seeing if that helps. But wanted to see if you had luck with something else and I would try that first.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanMach View Post
    Just checking in to see if you found the issue for this or not? I dont have the same drives, I have the Siemens drives in mine, but I do have the A2100 though. I randomly receive an alarm on all axis encoders. All I have to do is restart my machine and I am usually good to go for the rest of the day. I do however want to see if I can get this fixed before it gets worse. I am thinking on taking the computer out of the back and replacing the batteries on both boards and also disconnecting all connectors on the drives and reconnecting and seeing if that helps. But wanted to see if you had luck with something else and I would try that first.

We ended up swapping out the realtime board with a spare we had. Seemed to possibly be an issue with one of the other cards fitting loosely into an ISA slot on the board. We were able to trigger the error by lightly tapping on the control cabinet which is what triggered us to look for loose connections. Once we found the card that had a loose fit, we attempted to tighten the fit but ultimately just swapped the board. So it is tough to really say there wasn't something else going on with the board.

Downloads
    Uploads

Call Fives-Cincinnati Support at 1-800-934-0735 ; listen to the prompt for Tech-Support & Cincinnati, or call 1-859-534-4700 for the Fives-Cincinnati Operator.
    Hours 8am to 5pm EST (Lunch Noon to 1pm)
    Our Tech Support is no-charge; but we do try to sell parts...
    Mike Trunk is a Guru on the 850/850SX/850IDS
    Greg Wood can help with the UK Vertical and Turning w/ A2100 or Fanuc controls.

The +5V for the encoders is made on the BBB Card (Basic Bridge Board) if there is something connected to the DV5 board that pulls it down; this could be a problem.
    If you have a servo Jumper plug you can isolate it to one axis....

The Main A2100 PC-Style Power Supply could be failing. Siemens no longer has these; we offer one for less than $100 USD (p/n H.1018.2317)