Arrow II APC Start Fail

Thread: Arrow II APC Start Fail

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Arrow II APC Start Fail

Hey guys, a buddy of mine bought a Arrow II 1250c, and is having troubles with it. When he boots it up he gets alarm 42-11,APC Start Fail. Don't really have a clue where to go from here and am looking for any ideas.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Arrow II APC Start Fail

We will need to know what control you have on this machine!!!

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Downloads
    Uploads

A2100

Arrow II APC Start Fail-apc-jpg

Last edited by coop31; 08-14-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The most common cause I've run into for profibus failures on these machines is that one of the terminating resistors was switched from it's normal position. Start by verifying it is only on on the proper devices.

If that doesn't fix it then you'll have to start looking into nodes and confirming the profibus card in each device is working.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, the switches can cause issues, but they do not cause the alarm we are having from my experience. I had issues with my machine when I got it and we traced it down to a switch. The error it gets when its a switch in the wrong position is APC Rack * Failure or something like that.

When you say " If that doesn't fix it then you'll have to start looking into nodes and confirming the profibus card in each device is working" what exactly does that mean? Is there a procedure to do this? I don't even know what a node is.

Downloads
    Uploads

Profibus uses "nodes" as an addressing system. Each profibus module is assigned a unique node. On many systems the node is set by turning a dial on each device, but on the Siemens drives, they are defined in the drive parameters stored in each servo drive controller card. I can't remember ever setting one on the I/O module, but there will be a way to define this so it is different from the other profibus modules.

It has been a while since I worked on one on the A2100, but I believe the master is the Profibus card installed in the A2100 control, and it branches out to the spindle drive and each axis drive in one direction and to the I/O module in the other. In this case, you would have two terminating resistors on (the one on each end of the string). I believe I have seen the alarm you posted from the terminating resistor, but as I said, it's been a while so I could be remembering that wrong.

Start by looking at each of the profibus devices to see if there are any fault indicators (the servo controller cards may be displaying a Profibus fault code such as an 831). Frequently, if there is a specific axis causing the issue, the alarm on the A2100 control will indicate which but your picture appears to have cut of the bottom of the alarm message. Make sure it doesn't have additional information pointing to the correct module.

Did the control pass all diagnostics prior to this alarm coming up? I'm guessing if you look at the diagnostics history you will see the profibus module failed. This is a bit of a stretch, but if other cards also failed, you could have an issue with the RT board since the communication to these cards occurs via the bridge board through the RT Board (and the RT BIOS is a known issue with these older machines).