Need Help! VFS5 Spindle drive problems cincinnati milacron

Thread: VFS5 Spindle drive problems cincinnati milacron

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down VFS5 Spindle drive problems cincinnati milacron

Hello to the forum.
    I bought a used/old stock Falcon lathe that came with a VFS5 drive for the spindle motor. Model is 275-00

This drive is in the same power bus as the servo drives that are perfectly working (they move, accelerate at expected feeds) and no error is output from the spindle drive or from the servo drives. This makes me assume that the power supply is working as expected (although I have read some posts saying that the power supply can be problematic in the case of the spindle motor does not pass from a determined speed, when speeding in increments - that is also not the case).

The drive in analog velocity (this is the mode that we would like to use) behaves like on the video: other modes are also erratic (including the serial mode using the software)
    No matter the velocity setpoint it will not go at more speed than the speed on the video (about 25rpm), and although it is not noticeable on the video, the movement is jerky, this is, not continuos.

We are able to connect to the drive using the Kollomorgen software, where a few tests were made, almost all inconclusive and basically always the same behaviour is registered.
    Experiments done: By setting a very low Kp (that I asume to be proporcional gain), the spindle holds position on mode serial mode. We assume this as a good thing.
    Using a external battery to set the setpoint the spindle also does not go more than the velocity on the video.

The only thing that we find strange is on the CONF file that the software exports that mentions a ERR 208 'C12'

Any tip is appreciated.
    Thank you

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VFS5 Spindle drive problems cincinnati milacron

no video - repost

error 208 c12 is junk message - happens often times and is NOT a problem. If you dont want to see it, edit your .tl file wtih notepad and remove that phony last line.

what is load meter showing? if real hi this is indication 2 motor leads are swapped - swap any two and try again.

if load meter not hi this is indication your resolver is not working properly and motor is just spinning at slip speed.

Downloads
    Uploads

email me the 3 programs/files from the vfs5 to see? it sounds like hi current -- type P IMON to see if hi...

type P VCMD to see if your analog command is jerking at J 0 or if jerk is from inside vfs5

type P VCMD to see if your analog input is actually increasing or stuck at 50rpm level... there is scaling inside the drive to set max speed for 10v command...

use the scope feature to watch stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: VFS5 Spindle drive problems cincinnati milacron

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    no video - repost

error 208 c12 is junk message - happens often times and is NOT a problem. If you dont want to see it, edit your .tl file wtih notepad and remove that phony last line.

what is load meter showing? if real hi this is indication 2 motor leads are swapped - swap any two and try again.

if load meter not hi this is indication your resolver is not working properly and motor is just spinning at slip speed.

Mike you saved my day. Motor had 2 leads swapped!
    The amps were about spikes of 100A, then we changed the motors leads .... and celebrate!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fomaz View Post
    Mike you saved my day. Motor had 2 leads swapped!
    The amps were about spikes of 100A, then we changed the motors leads .... and celebrate!
    Great!

Too bad you are in Portugal! Too far away to send me a case of fine Portuguese beer!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    Great!

Too bad you are in Portugal! Too far away to send me a case of fine Portuguese beer!
    I would say wine is better than beer here. We are on a very touristic area. Maybe someday you pass by.
    https://www.google.pt/search?q=algar...w=1920&bih=947

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, drive is working properly but I still have an issue that I cannot pass though.
    In defining the spindle speed drive range, we are able to set the gear ratio - Input gear teeth in the menu below.

VFS5 Spindle drive problems cincinnati milacron-spindle_lixo-jpg

so that we achieve the desired speed when the analog input voltage is 10VDC. This works ok with the setting 8400 as long we do not disconnect the power from the drive.
    However when the disconnect the drive power, the value goes back to 4096, and the input value does not stay persistent. Other values do not require a "SAVE" or similar and stay persistent.

Any ideias about what should be done to keep the 8400 value saved?
    Can this be related to some input on the drive that we are not considering? I reviewed the documentation but found nothing relevant.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fomaz View Post
    Ok, drive is working properly but I still have an issue that I cannot pass though.
    In defining the spindle speed drive range, we are able to set the gear ratio - Input gear teeth in the menu below.

VFS5 Spindle drive problems cincinnati milacron-spindle_lixo-jpg

so that we achieve the desired speed when the analog input voltage is 10VDC. This works ok with the setting 8400 as long we do not disconnect the power from the drive.
    However when the disconnect the drive power, the value goes back to 4096, and the input value does not stay persistent. Other values do not require a "SAVE" or similar and stay persistent.

Any ideias about what should be done to keep the 8400 value saved?
    Can this be related to some input on the drive that we are not considering? I reviewed the documentation but found nothing relevant.
    Yep. We load program from rom on power up. Two ways to fix. Email me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mike@@@KilroyWasHere.com

Downloads
    Uploads

parameter GEARI

internal program running rewrites this based on C axis orient/tapping or high speed running. Change is via input input 1 (I1). turn it OFF and you will have hi speed.

or set low speed variable to the higher number you want:

GEARIC = 4096 contour speed
    GEARIO = 12288 hi speed

ie., in terminal type GEARIC 8400 if that is what you like for max speed

we say in the program IF input 1 = on, then GEARI=GEARIC else GEARI=GEARIO

iF you ever download your old .var file into the drive you will overwrite the value again.

you do not need to mess with LOAD=0; just put it back to LOAD 1

Downloads
    Uploads

Now is working. Thank you Mike. Good health.