Problem Z error

Thread: Z error

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Z error

Still trying to get this newly acquired Arrow 2 going. I'm getting the following errors when I try to move Z

ALARM 39-148, NCA - Axis pulse enable alarm.

and after I clear that alarm I get...

Alarm 39-144, NCA - Z Axis drive alarm.

Any ideas?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like a Z-axis drive fault. Have you checked for the fault code on your drive?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm getting error b608 on the x-z drive

Downloads
    Uploads

That indicates the drive was at maximum current too long, so it shut itself down.

Downloads
    Uploads

Any idea what may be causing that?

Downloads
    Uploads

It depends on when you are getting the fault. The most obvious cause would be if the axis is blocked or stuck, but it can be caused by a bad motor, drive, encoder, cables, phasing to the motor, parameters, etc. On these drives, there was also an update to the Firmware so if you sent the controller card in for repair it would come back unusable because the new firmware version wasn't compatible with these machines.

Although I like the A2100 control, and do think the arrow/sabre products were good machines, I wouldn't recommend this specific vintage to someone unless they already have one. When they run, they are excellent machines, but when they have a failure, they seem to be a lot harder for people to diagnose (unless you are familiar with how they work).

This is off subject, but somehow seems to apply, so will mention it. One shop I work with had several of the older Arrows and Sabres, so bought one of these (a used Arrow Series 2 from Canada) without having it inspected. They were told everything was working when it was powered down for shipping, but when it arrived it wouldn't work. They had other technicians (not familiar with the A2100) in for about 3 months working on it, but never able to get it working. They finally had me come in, and when I checked the error history, the previous customer hadn't been able to get it to power up successfully in the 6 months prior to selling it.

Ultimately, the machine had been shipped to them with a bad X/Z-axis power module, a bad A-axis controller card, a bad Z-axis motor, a bad Spindle motor encoder, and a bad IR module. Any one of these would have prevented the machine from powering up, and they could not have all failed at the same time, so the previous owner had apparently used this as a parts machine, and just put all the bad components on this machine before selling it.

In addition to all the failed components, several items on the machine were miswired, and it also had the same Profibus issue as you. The Z-axis brake was wired into the wrong terminals so it could never release, the transformer overload and door interlock were miswired, etc. Some of the wiring issues could have been created by the other techs they had working on it, but it just re-affirms that people unfamiliar with these machines seem to have trouble working on them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that's a hell of a story. Cant believe someone would purposely screw someone like that.

I admittedly bought this machine sight unseen, and knowing there was a problem with it. I didn't realize just how temperamental they could be and thought it was probably just a drive or cable or something. Completely different machine than my Arrow 750 with kollmorgan drives.

I've been running A2100 controlled machines for about 10 years now, and they are my favorite control I have ever run. I don't think I'm too far from getting this thing going, seems everything is working with the exception of Z. Ive tried everything that I could possibly think of, and everything else looks good.

I only get the errors when I try to move the Z axis.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking through the journals, the last program ran was about 13 months ago. Is it possible the z brake is stuck on somehow? The z motor made a little squeak last time I tried to move it then the error came up.

Downloads
    Uploads

The brake could be stick on, but usually, if the brake doesn't release, you can move down at slow speeds without a fault. Lifting against the brake will usually cause a fault fairly quickly though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ive spent literally days here on the machine and I think I have it all sorted out.

I took the Z motor to a servo repair shop and they found the motor to have a faulty brake. They are going to have it fixed along with new top bearings for me by Monday. This along with a couple little things that were fixed in the control cabinet with the help of Mark at Mag (or what ever its called now) should finally let this thing fire up.

Wish me luck... lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad it sounds like you have it working now, hope I was able to point you in the right direction. From my experience, very few people have experience with these machines, so if you run into more issues, let me know. I haven't had to work on many (because there aren't a lot of them out there), so don't know everything about them but will try to do what I can.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got the motor back Monday and placed it on top of the machine and hooked up the cables. Much to my surprise, I still had pretty much the same problem. Man was I frustrated at that point. I did a bit more digging on the net and found a guy who repairs Siemens stuff so I gave him a call. I brought the X-Z Drive to him on Friday and he told me there was a problem with it. He said I could wait for the repair as it would just take a couple hours. He got it all fixed up and sent me on my way. I got everything re installed into the machine and tried it with the motor just sitting on the top of the machine. Holy Crap, its alive..... I was pumped. I then re installed the motor onto the machine properly and fired it back up. I aligned the machine just fine, then jogged it around a bit and everything seemed great. I then started the spindle at 500 RPM, then 1000, then 1500, 2000, and finally 2500. Hit the spindle stop button and came up with a new error..... So close, but not there yet. I'll Start a new thread to discuss the new problems....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default z brake have issue

help me Cincinnati arrow 500 ero 1998 a2100
    can't not move z axis because z brake not release, no voltage for z brake coil.
    what do it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Z error

The Z brake voltage is DC not AC. If you have the electrical prints it shows that the brake has a fuse , check it. The circuit converts AC to DC using a bridge rectifier take a look at that.

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services