Probing on a CNC Mill using Flat Star or Right Angle Probe

Thread: Probing on a CNC Mill using Flat Star or Right Angle Probe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Probing on a CNC Mill using Flat Star or Right Angle Probe

Has anyone figured out how to use a Flat Star or Right Angle Probe on a CNC Mill using GoProbe or other Renishaw probing routines?

Our fixtures hold parts with bores in the Y-Axis on the Horizontals that we need to align XYZ Zero to.

The way they do it now is to slide a gage pin inside the bore and probe it as a half circle in the X-Z Axis, then remove the Gage Pin before machining.
    Problem is, this is time consuming and sometimes the pins get stuck and take longer than the part run time to get unstuck, and other times they don't remove all of the Gage Pins and break off tools.

A simple solution would be to do like the Inspection Department does on the CMM and use a Star Probe, but the Productivity+ and GoProbe routines look to be written to probe using straight "Down-Z" Probes only.

So... before I tackle this as a project and learn to create new custom O9xxx programs to do this, I thought to ask if this "Wheel" has already been "Invented"