3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY - Page 5

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    You need this sign at the machine, maybe?
    Oh, what a gem! Yea we have those literally in every corners in the bigger shop. Less offensive of course but when you stop and actually read one of those poster, the context really hits in a same way lol

Quote Originally Posted by __Britt View Post

I don't know who goes thru your shop
    Nobody touches my super duper sexy probe, Britt Not a shop tool, at all, we have haimers in each tool changers and that's done with the MPG (no probe macros on the controls).
    That probe is dedicated to a small 3ax mill for digitizing this autumn (24/7, possibly). Once done with those reverse-engineering scans, that probe comes home with me. I like it so much already I might actually write a postprocessor to support it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work Max.
    Its annoying that these things are so expensive am yet they can be made at home.
    Hope it cuts the mustard...as it were.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Nice work Max.
    Its annoying that these things are so expensive am yet they can be made at home.
    Hope it cuts the mustard...as it were.
    It's Mecanix's design, really, I'm just the guy with the lead laced lunch problem trying to figure out where to plug in my phone.

This thread is a hoot.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    This thread is a hoot.
    "Bananas & Gold Balls"... no kidd

Downloads
    Uploads

There are so many double entendres in the last page alone that we could be in a Bond movie... "Coming this fall to a mill near you: Goldenprobe"

Downloads
    Uploads

There are so many double entendres in the last page alone that we could be in a Bond movie... "Coming this fall to a mill near you: Goldenprobe"
    aw come on man, all good fun. Trauma from being locked-in a 3* hotel room 200 miles from my home I guess... blah'ing on a cnc forum allow taking breaks from rigging my tomorrow's presentation (ty!).

Not goldenprobe, its the "DarthVader Probe" now, btw.
    You Ask, We Listen!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY-_fkcwist_-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

aw come on man, all good fun.
    When did I ever say it wasn't?

DarthVader Probe
    "I have altered your dimensions... pray that I do not alter them further."

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick Update:

(Finally) received the probe tip I've ordered 12,390 days ago :/ Looks good. Renishaw; ceramic shank, R2.5mm ball. In fact... 4.997mm ball. I was really impatient to receive this probe tip because I needed the physical dims to finish up the main shaft's assembly (cad).

I've also settled on a new connector, as opposed to the 5P Micro usb. So we'll go for a 10P Mini USB3 instead. That way I can leave those two feared for 'standardized data pins' empty (for you, Britt!) and populate the connector's 8 remaining pins with what's available to me from the MCU. That way I can recharge my mobile with my probe! In all seriousness; I plan on adding a side-probe attachment with 3.3V (battery) and LORA support eventually so that's that. Also found some right-angle 10P connector and some half decent shielded cabling so I think we're all set to finish this project and start probing.

Oh took off that old fashion TH LED and replaced it with a ultra-bright 1206 smd LED also. That way I can solder it on its side and have it shine toward that new clear cap (window?) which, I've also(finally) received during the weekend.

I'll finish up the PCB/Gerber and CAD this evening and get to work right after. By the time the new parts are machined I should have that V1.02 version of the PCB in hand and ready for the final assembly/product :-))

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY-3dprobe_v1-02_probe_m4x50mmr2-5-jpg   3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY-3dprobe_v1-02_miniusb_10p-jpg   3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY-3dprobe_v1-02_rightangle_10p-jpg   3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY-3dprobe_v1-02_led_clear_cap-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mecanix View Post
    ....I plan on adding a side-probe attachment with 3.3V (battery) and LORA support eventually so that's that.
    For those of you who don't know what I meant by "side-probe attachment", or perhaps like myself, can't picture what this would look like, here it is, The "3D Probe Sport Backpack" LOL

Seriously; there are two PCBs in this assembly; a rigid one accommodating the male connector, and a flexible one to accommodate a battery charger (lipo) and wi-fi comms. All talks to the MCU and signal to a receiver(ideally located somewhere inside the machine).

Why? Well, if this design turns out to be within a fair and workable accuracy, I'll make a few and get them to replace the Haimers... write a control macro and polish the post processors to automate them.

So, yea... comes with a long wire or optional wireless comms. All good fun & minuscule, enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY-3dprobe_vx-00_comm01-jpg   3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY-3dprobe_vx-00_comm02-jpg   3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY-3dprobe_vx-00_comm03-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Will you have one that has a shaft that is compatible with TTS ATC?

Downloads
    Uploads

Will you have one that has a shaft that is compatible with TTS ATC?
    I gather from your question you don't fancy making your own probe! I don't blame you, not all as easy as it looks ;-) I'll send one your way if you really need one... no worries.
    The mounting shank is 12mm(OD)x25mm(L). Any tool holders can be used to hold that probe really e.g. mounts in my BT30 ER20-12mm.
    Ultra-lightweight, obviously, so anything smaller than BT30 (if this exist?) can also be used.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would be interested in having one. I like the size factor that you have achieved, and I like that I could change the code on it if I wanted. I think I would want to integrate the Tormach ATC collar into it just to reduce the overall length. I also really like your backpack idea. We could integrate our own battery and maybe even a Bluetooth or IR interface.

Yes, I have made my own probe. It was not as nice as this one.

So, yep, I would like one.

Downloads
    Uploads

So, yep, I would like one.
    Sure can do that for you Max, give me 2 weeks (roughly) and that ships out to you.
    Flattered you ask :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Done! PCB Final Version (V1.03) before assembly. Fully featured MCU with programming interface.
    PS: Data lines are now free (D-, D+, ID) so no more frying mobiles, laptops, ghosts and apocalypse ;-)

Gerber already left to that magical place where they manufacture minuscule PCBs i.e. with 10P 0.15mm wide pads :/ That connector really lives to its name... 'mini'.
    (da stuff you do in your free time during Friday nights lol)

I'm probing as soon as next weekend guys!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY-3dprobe_v1-03_pcb01final-jpg   3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY-3dprobe_v1-03_pcb02final-jpg  
    Last edited by Mecanix; 09-06-2019 at 10:50 PM. Reason: updated visual/traces

Downloads
    Uploads

Kewel!

Downloads
    Uploads

Kewel!

lol. yea all pretty kool stuff ;-)

I bet quite a few of you wonder what sort of switching performance those modern microcontrollers are capable of (i.e. low-2-high), and tbh they're as fast as a lightning bolt! Seriously though, 6.7 nanoseconds is pretty insane for such a low cost and commercially available mcu. You'd think adding those to probes in order to smart them up a bit would slow everything down, and the answer to that is; apparently not ;-))

Setup = shorting a set of balls while the code is looping a conditional check (if low{high}else{low}). No/zero delay on the void loop method. So all logic carried out by the code/mcu itslef!
    PS: ideally that test would require an external trigger, but gives a good idea none the less... good fun!

Some grabs attached... sort of documenting the perf of both, the now expired/prototype pbc/mcu (on pic), and the new one coming up in a few days.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY-3dprobe_v1-01_switching01-jpg   3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY-3dprobe_v1-01_switching02-jpg  
    Last edited by Mecanix; 09-07-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you using the Arduino IDE with something like TinyCore; or bare-metal GCC?

If it's the Arduino IDE; you might want to do a CLI() to disable the timer interrupt that the system sets up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, and just for clarity - that screen shot is showing the switching rise time of the processor's output pin driver; not overall latency of the system as a whole. To get a latency measurement; a probe on the input side of the MCU would need to be setup; and the time between the start of movement of the input signal (i.e, it's falling edge) and the start of movement of the output signal (it's rising edge) would need to be measured.

Downloads
    Uploads

Using the Atmel Studio with a 6P burner for those atmel chips. Heard you can just use an arduino board also, not sure.

Oh, and just for clarity - that screen shot is showing the switching rise time of the processor's output pin driver; not overall latency of the system as a whole. To get a latency measurement; a probe on the input side of the MCU would need to be setup; and the time between the start of movement of the input signal (i.e, it's falling edge) and the start of movement of the output signal (it's rising edge) would need to be measured.

Yep, working on getting a micrometer jig set-up just for that purpose! For that step I need to have the whole probe finalized and assembled before :/ I'm curious to see the whole system's data, whether that matches what I've pulled from those sim models (nastran). That way linear motions can be accounted for. If indeed it is then we are in for a huge surprise ;-))

Edit: I did however completed a cable for that probe today lol. Goes to show how impatient I am to receive that new PCB for some tests!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D Probe - Tri-balls type accuracy & DIY-3dprobe_v1-03_cable-jpg  
    Last edited by Mecanix; 09-08-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The nice thing about the Arduino IDE, of course, is that it's about an order of magnitude smaller than Atmel Studio to download; faster to run; and easier to get going with.

Heard you can just use an arduino board also, not sure.
    Yeah... it looks like that will work on an ATTiny85; although I myself haven't tested it personally.

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...ino-uno-afb829
    https://makersportal.com/blog/2018/5...-simple-sketch

Or, depending on what programmer module you have now; the Arduino IDE may be able to just use it directly.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast