Buying a CNC wood router from StyleCNC - complete process and review - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying a CNC wood router from StyleCNC - complete process and review

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Buying a CNC wood router from StyleCNC - complete process and review

Hi. Thanks CleanAirWoodworks for your comprehensive commentary on importing a StyleCNC machine. I'm looking to import one into Australia and would love to ask some questions. Is the LNC controller working well with Vectric software? What are your thoughts on servicing the machine? i.e. is this something you're comfortable to do yourself? Did you need to change anything / replace anything since receiving your machine? Are there any options you wished you’d included? Any you wish you’d not? Other learnings? Thanks!

Default Re: Buying a CNC wood router from StyleCNC - complete process and review

Quote Originally Posted by gregpr View Post
    Hi. Thanks CleanAirWoodworks for your comprehensive commentary on importing a StyleCNC machine. I'm looking to import one into Australia and would love to ask some questions. Is the LNC controller working well with Vectric software? What are your thoughts on servicing the machine? i.e. is this something you're comfortable to do yourself? Did you need to change anything / replace anything since receiving your machine? Are there any options you wished you’d included? Any you wish you’d not? Other learnings? Thanks!
    I would recommend my sales person Therese (export01@stylecnc.com) as there were no English translation issues or errors and was happy to take the time to get everything spec'd as I wanted. Mike the engineer speaks with a bit more broken English, but as a Youtube channel I watch says, "It's Super Good Enough" to get me answers about the controller and machine. I have a basic start up sequence that I wrote out based on watching videos and can send along to you.

1) Yes, the LNC controller works well with VCarve Pro as that is what I am using to make drawings and programs. The Post processor that was supplied by StyleCNC worked well, but also easy to change, so I made a few versions based on specific features of my machine and different use cases. You can add things to the Post like when to turn on or off the dust collector, when to raise or lower the pressure rollers (option chosen for my machine), and could even control vacuum pumps automatically, haivng one post processor that uses them and another that leaves them off.
    2) My machine (yours may be spec'd differently) has automatic oil lubrication. So there is little to no servicing of it. Nearly all the parts are off-the-shelf components, so replacing relays, servos, linear bearings, sensors, tool posts, etc. should be as easy as asking StyleCNC to send them or buying them directly off Amazon or Alibaba. The automatic lubrication system took a minute to figure out how it worked, but it is setup on a timer and I had to run it through a few cycles to get all of the lines charged up and delivering oil.
    3) Yes, I am mechanically inclined, so I don't mind taking things apart. I did tram the spindle, but that is something every CNC owner should be able to check and perform. It involved taking off some of the spindle coverings and parts, but nothing more than an allen wrench needed.
    4) I did not find a single loose connection in the cabinet (or at least nothing glaringly wrong). All that I changed was the main power wires that went from the terminal blocks to the spindle VFD and increased their size one gauge, which was not strictly necessary at all. All of the other wiring was completely fine, those were just on the lower end of sizing for me. I had one or two minor setting issues with an incorrectly set X-axis software limit, but that was easy to fix in the LNC controller. Mike the tech engineer is super fast at getting back to me and helping both fix any issues and also answer questions about making it run faster. He just helped me increase the acceleration of the machine so I could do 3D carvings in 1/2 the time as compared to the stock settings.
    5) If I had more room I would have gotten the full sized 4th axis rotary (since it is not too expensive) and changed to a rotary tool carousel ATC from the linear (because the linear tool changer rides along, it limits the thickness of work that can be placed on the table from 12" to 8"). But these required more space that I didn't have. I am happy with the pneumatic rollers as they can easily be removed and are key when cutting construction plywood for certain jobs or just cutting when you don't want to run the vacuum. I would not get the cheap 2kw blower vacuum pumps, more vacuum is always better, so instead of spending some money on those and upgrading later, spend the money and get better rotary vane or liquid rings pumps, StyleCNC should have options for you. Basically, get any option that you have the room to fit. Each upgrade is a small expense compared to what it would cost to retrofit in the future. Full 4axis machines were only a few thousand more, and if I thought I would be able to program them or have the work, I would have upgraded had I known. I may have asked for a C-axis attachment if I was thinking about it at the time, but didn't even know they existed. I also don't build cabinets, so I didn't get a drill block, but if you do, they are supposed to be worth their weight in gold.
    6) I used Total Quality Logistics for import customs and they were great. Tell AHruska@tql.com I sent you. But you are in Australia, so that might not work for you. But just pay someone a little bit to do the paperwork for you and you won't have to worry about getting it done wrong. Therese at StyleCNC set up most of the export paperwork for us, so they make it easy (and cheap if you ask them how to save on customs fees).

Downloads
    Uploads

Fantastic. Thank you again. My enquiry with StyleCNC was for the 4th axis machine - they suggested they need to use Syntec 6 axis as the controller. Quick googles didn't suggest this was too common for vectric users (like me). I have 3 phase in my shed so should be ok on that front. I'll definitely enquire about the automatic lubrication system but I'm going to have to google what a C-axis is! Drill block sounds like a great idea too. I asked for all the available options with pricing, but didn't get a very large list - I suspect I might need to prompt about specifics. The company you used to inspect the machine prior to shipping, if you can pass on a contact from there, that would be great. The standard machine comes with a two bag dust extractor - I have good dust extraction available but wondered if the "integrated dust extraction" from StyleCNC was the better way to go in your experience?

Fantastic. Thank you again. My enquiry with StyleCNC was for the 4th axis machine - they suggested they need to use Syntec 6 axis as the controller. Quick googles didn't suggest this was too common for vectric users (like me). I have 3 phase in my shed so should be ok on that front. I'll definitely enquire about the automatic lubrication system but I'm going to have to google what a C-axis is! Drill block sounds like a great idea too. I asked for all the available options with pricing, but didn't get a very large list - I suspect I might need to prompt about specifics. The company you used to inspect the machine prior to shipping, if you can pass on a contact from there, that would be great. The standard machine comes with a two bag dust extractor - I have good dust extraction available but wondered if the "integrated dust extraction" from StyleCNC was the better way to go in your experience?
    They supply a basic Grizzly-style generic dust collector. Fine for what it is, but nothing CNC-specific, so you can use your own dust collection setup. There will just be a 6" hose to connect to your system that you can decide how to plumb into your piping.

4-axis (X,Y,Z,A all on the same spindle and gantry) and 4th-axis (separate rotary axis that takes the place of either X, or Y) are different. You may know the difference, or not. Just checking. A C-axis or Aggregate head is a way to get 4-axis capabilities on a 3-axis machine, or to use tools like a circular saw on the router. Mike the tech supplied me with a 4th axis (rotary) post processor, but I have not yet used it. Vectric software should have no problems with the rotary 4th axis, but would not be able to program any actual 4-axis machining. You would need to jump to something like Fusion 360 to be able to program a 4-axis machining operation.

The STM1530C comes with auto lubrication standard. Not sure about which machine you are asking about and whether it already has it installed.

I used TUV Sud for inspection, which is an option when purchasing through Alibaba. They offer an inspection service as an add-on as part of the check out process and it was about $150. It will add 1-2 weeks to the purchase process as the inspection has to be scheduled and performed prior to shipping. Also don't count on the container ship holding its schedule, but that has nothing to do with the CNC manufacturer at that point, just the will of the waves.

Downloads
    Uploads

I may have mixed up my 4-axis's! Defnitely wanting separate rotary axis - which is where the lathe is alongside the main machine bed (rather than on it)? This is the link: https://www.stylecnc.com/cnc-working...is-rotary.html

Purchasing through Alibaba versus going direct - was there a reason you chose this path? I do like the third party inspection model. Thanks again.

I may have mixed up my 4-axis's! Defnitely wanting separate rotary axis - which is where the lathe is alongside the main machine bed (rather than on it)? This is the link: https://www.stylecnc.com/cnc-working...is-rotary.html

Purchasing through Alibaba versus going direct - was there a reason you chose this path? I do like the third party inspection model. Thanks again.
    Alibaba provides a level of security and third-party non-partisan arbitration for issues with the machine. They offer purchase protection and also services like the machine inspection as previously noted. You ask StyleCNC to write up a Proforma Invoice for you when you are satisfied with all the options and that get added to an Alibaba order as the purchase agreement for you to pay and track through their platform.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wondering how things went with your machine . I just got the StyleCnc S1-IV with 4 spindles . Are you using a phase converter ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wakes View Post
    Wondering how things went with your machine . I just got the StyleCnc S1-IV with 4 spindles . Are you using a phase converter ?
    Yes, I am using a North American Rotary phase converter and I had to change out a run capacitor to lower/balance the voltage, but otherwise it runs great. My utility line voltage is already pretty high at up to 247V, so at idle, the phase converter generated leg can be as high as 258V, which causes a small problem with the spindle VFD. I removed a run capacitor on the generated leg and it lowered the startup voltage down a few volts, but still has good voltage at full load.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123