Help Identifying Components in CNC Control Cabinet

Thread: Help Identifying Components in CNC Control Cabinet

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help Identifying Components in CNC Control Cabinet

I'm looking at doing so upgrading to my 10 year old 4'X8' CNC router and looking through my control cabinet I'm honestly not sure what some of the more important components are. I've got what I think is a massive transformer and then a tiny little 24v power supply etc. Can any help me with these pictures?

This system is 220v and has NEMA 34 steppers.

I marked a few things. I know #1 is my VFD for the spindle. That's all it does correct? Or is it also power for other things? Dumb question I know but it all works so I haven't really thought it through.

I know #2 are my stepper motion controllers. #4 is a fuse/relay but don't really care at this point.

#3 is a Mean Well S-15-24 24v power supply. It's a "AC-DC Single Output Enclosed power supply Output 24VDC Single Output at 0.7A free air convection." If this is only only actual power supply how is this supplying enough power to 4 steppers of that's what it is doing?

#5 is a transformer correct?

Any help is appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Identifying Components in CNC Control Cabinet-ac-dc-single-output-enclosed-power-supply   Help Identifying Components in CNC Control Cabinet-20130507_151713-jpg   Help Identifying Components in CNC Control Cabinet-marked-cnc-cabiner-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help Identifying Components in CNC Control Cabinet

#1 = VFD. Yes, it only powers the spindle itself.

#2 = stepper drivers (just drivers, not motion controllers).

#3 = 24V logic power supply. It powers the contactor (#4), limit switches, indicator bulbs and other control circuits.

#4 = contactor and fuse. The contactor serves as a primitive safety relay that switches the power off when you push the e-stop mushroom.

#5 = power transformer for the stepper drivers. It converts 220VAC line voltage to four separate 65VAC outputs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Perfect, thank you very much. I know just enough about electronics to know I don't know enough. I'm looking at going with a ClearPath retrofit. Since I really need their power supply to run the servos I could get rid of #5 correct?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dbl_Tap View Post
    Since I really need their power supply to run the servos I could get rid of #5 correct?
    That's correct. As far as I can see, the transformer is only used to power the stepper drivers.

Downloads
    Uploads

To bad if you cannot use it, linear supplies, especially for steppers/servo's are way ahead in reliability over SMPS.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I plan on replacing it now that I know for sure it only powers my steppers at 65v. Teknik confirmed this as well. The servos I'm going with could run off of it but their PS will be much better.

Now to figure out if I should just make the jump and upgrade to a control board that can run Mach4 and which one........