4th axis issue need help pls!!

Thread: 4th axis issue need help pls!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 4th axis issue need help pls!!

Hi team

this is 1st time I'm using the 4th axis since i bought the machine, i downloaded a rotary files and did simulation in artcam, my question is when i loaded to G.code in mach3, it works as 3 axis (XYZ) and A axis doesn't rotate!

i have no experience , just new guy learning new things .. how to inform the CNC it is rotary file not 3D? , also note I'm able to jogging the A axis using hand controller and Mach3 already configured and enabled A axis .. it is just i don't know how to switch between rotary (AYZ) and normal mode (XYZ).. thanks for your support

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 4th axis issue need help pls!!

If you look at the G-code, is it calling out any moves for the A axis? There should be commands like "G01 A 10.567 F900" If searching for A moves brings no results, then your program isn't going to activate the rotary table.

If the commands are there, but it's still not moving, check the settings in Mach3. The A axis should be angular and denominated in degrees, and there should be a number greater than 0 in the diameter field.

Andrew Werby
    https://computersculpture.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    If you look at the G-code, is it calling out any moves for the A axis? There should be commands like "G01 A 10.567 F900" If searching for A moves brings no results, then your program isn't going to activate the rotary table.

If the commands are there, but it's still not moving, check the settings in Mach3. The A axis should be angular and denominated in degrees, and there should be a number greater than 0 in the diameter field.

Sir

here the G-code created by artcam after simulation

T1M6
    G17
    G0Z115.860
    G0X0.000Y0.000S15000M3
    G0X0.000Y0.000Z115.860
    G1Z64.340F360.0
    G0X-149.119Y-25.354
    G1Z41.853F360.0
    G1X149.119F1200.0
    Y-21.767
    X-149.119

here what i have done in Artcam.. please correct me

open new project, import file. create rotary relief, 3d toolpaths, simulation , save toolpaths, select G-Code.tap.

i noticed from the list there are rotary G-code .. shall i select any?

thanks for your support

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, there's no command for the A axis in that string, so I wouldn't expect it to move. Apparently, if you've got ArtCAM Premium, you can get the 4th axis to work (to some degree) by using a special post-processor that swaps the Y axis for A, a procedure called "wrapping". This works okay for objects that are basically decorated cylinders, less well for the general case of 3D objects. Here's some discussion of it I found that explains it: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/artca...m/td-p/7525755

If you want a better alternative for 4-axis CAM, check my site for DeskProto, which has a special price on the multi-axis edition for hobbyists.

Andrew Werby
    https://computersculpture.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Yes, there's no command for the A axis in that string, so I wouldn't expect it to move. Apparently, if you've got ArtCAM Premium, you can get the 4th axis to work (to some degree) by using a special post-processor that swaps the Y axis for A, a procedure called "wrapping". This works okay for objects that are basically decorated cylinders, less well for the general case of 3D objects. Here's some discussion of it I found that explains it: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/artca...m/td-p/7525755

If you want a better alternative for 4-axis CAM, check my site for DeskProto, which has a special price on the multi-axis edition for hobbyists.
    Thank you Sir for your explanation and support, I will review all details and update you.

Regards