How to detect VFD faults

Thread: How to detect VFD faults

Downloads
    Uploads

Question How to detect VFD faults

After suffering a bad manufacturer-configuration related crash, I decided to basically re-engineer the machine after discovering too many problems everywhere I looked.

For alarms I decided to go with the failsafe method of normally-connected high (+24V) / active-low (open connection), and hook them all in series along with e-stop.
    I decided to just use estop because I want to keep things as simple & failsafe as possible and don't have a lot of spare controller inputs.
    SO far I've successfully hooked up & tested servo fault alarm outputs and it works well.
    Now I want to add VFD fault output into the alarm chain. But I'm not an electrical engineer and am somewhat confused how to accomplish this.

In my case I'm using a Fuling DZB312B005.5L2DK VFD.
    Among other issues I've had stop-braking trigger E00A (over-current) alarms that could result in an undetected tool start failure and a crash.
    The manual seems to imply that parameter F2.21's default value of 3 will drive an open-collector signal between A, B, C outputs. (?)
    Which outputs are NO which are and NC is completely unclear but I surmise it's A-B=NO & B-C=NC or the reverse.
    I can't just check resistance with my multi-meter because it needs power but I'm afraid of hooking it up backward or somehow mis-wiring & damaging hardware.

So my question is, how should I wire this in to my alarm chain of open-collector outputs (effectively NC switches)?
    Can I just hook the hook the end of my chain (which normally is +24V) to B and read C on as the estop (aka alarm) input on the cnc controller?
    Or is it the reverse?

@mactec54, you seem really knowledgeable about these VFDs. Thanks for your help in the past! Do you have any suggestions or advice?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to detect VFD faults

Use a configurable output from the VFD that registers a fault etc, and place it in the E-stop NAND string.
    Use the N.C, output which would register open on a fault.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dwg123 View Post
    After suffering a bad manufacturer-configuration related crash, I decided to basically re-engineer the machine after discovering too many problems everywhere I looked.

For alarms I decided to go with the failsafe method of normally-connected high (+24V) / active-low (open connection), and hook them all in series along with e-stop.
    I decided to just use estop because I want to keep things as simple & failsafe as possible and don't have a lot of spare controller inputs.
    SO far I've successfully hooked up & tested servo fault alarm outputs and it works well.
    Now I want to add VFD fault output into the alarm chain. But I'm not an electrical engineer and am somewhat confused how to accomplish this.

In my case I'm using a Fuling DZB312B005.5L2DK VFD.
    Among other issues I've had stop-braking trigger E00A (over-current) alarms that could result in an undetected tool start failure and a crash.
    The manual seems to imply that parameter F2.21's default value of 3 will drive an open-collector signal between A, B, C outputs. (?)
    Which outputs are NO which are and NC is completely unclear but I surmise it's A-B=NO & B-C=NC or the reverse.
    I can't just check resistance with my multi-meter because it needs power but I'm afraid of hooking it up backward or somehow mis-wiring & damaging hardware.

So my question is, how should I wire this in to my alarm chain of open-collector outputs (effectively NC switches)?
    Can I just hook the hook the end of my chain (which normally is +24V) to B and read C on as the estop (aka alarm) input on the cnc controller?
    Or is it the reverse?

@mactec54, you seem really knowledgeable about these VFDs. Thanks for your help in the past! Do you have any suggestions or advice?
    As Al has said you can use the relay output, for a Fault connected to your Estop circuit, S6 / DCM Multi-function input can also be used F2.06=8 For External Fault Input

E00A Can be an over Voltage supply Fit a line Reactor or a EMI Power Filter can help with this, Can also be Over current when stopping, increase the stopping time, or add a Breaking Resistor

Power Filter TDK Lambda RSN2030L this is for a 30Amp input you may need different to match you Input Amp rating of your VFD Drive use a higher rating than the VFD Drive requirements

Mactec54

Unhappy Re: How to detect VFD faults

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    As Al has said you can use the relay output, for a Fault connected to your Estop circuit, S6 / DCM Multi-function input can also be used F2.06=8 For External Fault Input
    Hello Mactec and Al_the_man,
    I’ve been following both of you guys and you seem to be the only ones familiar with the Fuling 300 series VFD as well as very knowledgeable with CNC circuitry. I have quietly learned a lot from both of you and I thank you for your help to all of us mere mortals

I have a Chinese ATC with a Fuling 300 Series. I will try to attach the documentation that came with it.
    I am trying to achieve the following:

• I would like the fan for the spindle to come on when the spindle comes on. How can I achieve this? I am not an electrical engineer but I think with a relay connected to one of the VFD outputs this could be achieved. I guess hit can be a 24VDC or 12VDC relay, interrupting the S1 or S2 input?
    • I need to connect two PNP sensors. The Chinese manual says one is for “hanging knife” and the other one is for “unloading knife”. I guess hanging knife means tool is loaded and unloaded knife is tool is unloaded? I know that I need to provide 24VDC to the PNP sensor. Where will I cconnect the third wire from the sensor? To the input or output of the VFD?
    • I need to connect the release green button on the side of the spindle that activates the pneumatic valve to unload the tool manually, but this needs to happen when the spindle is not running (for obvious reasons). I’m thinking perhaps some sort of relay circuit that interrupts that button when the spindle is running? Perhaps again interrupting S1 or S2? Sidenote, I am able to control the spindle operation through the VFD using Mach3. I can start and stop the spindle and send S commands (thanks to your instructions in other forum threads!!) but it takes the spindle up to 38 seconds to stop therefore this operation would have to wait minimum of 38 seconds before unloading the tool I suppose? I think I can connect a breaking resistor however I’m waiting for it to come in the mail before I can attempt that. You will definitely hear from me when I’m ready to do that task.
    • I need to connect the temperature sensor in the spindle to the VFD so that when it reaches a critical temperature the VFD stops.

If any of you guys can help me with this I will be eternally thankful to you.
    Sincerely
    José Ricardo.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Two outputs can be used, the fan can be set to either come on in run or when power is applied to the VFD.
    One output set to activate when 'At Zero Speed' is sensed.
    The N/C temp sensor can be wired in series with the start or run input terminal

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Two outputs can be used, the fan can be set to either come on in run or when power is applied to the VFD.
    One output set to activate when 'At Zero Speed' is sensed.
    The N/C temp sensor can be wired in series with the start or run input terminal
    Forgive my ignorance,
    The pins labeled M01, M02 and MCM, how do they get wired?
    For example, if I put a meter between M01 and MCM, will I get DC voltage?
    If that is the case, then I can use a micro relay to actuate anything?
    I cannot test anything at the time of this writting because I’m not at home now.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Outputs M01-M02 show as the output of a pair of opto couplers with MCM being common.
    Therefore either or both M01 or M02 can be used as outputs up to 50ma.
    Unfortunately they tie the commons together (MCM) otherwise you could use the opto output in sink or source mode, which makes them more flexible.
    You require a DC supply, 45v max, and use an external circuit that 'see's the opto output switch to COM (MCM) and as a result turn on a power device of some kind.
    SSR etc.

Rechecking the manual, the way they have both opto outputs drawn, doesn't make sense.!

Last edited by Al_The_Man; 07-16-2021 at 02:09 PM.

Albert E.