Need Help! cncest 6040 running fine for the most part... considering g540 and have some q's

Thread: cncest 6040 running fine for the most part... considering g540 and have some q's

Downloads
    Uploads

Default cncest 6040 running fine for the most part... considering g540 and have some q's

have the cncest 6040 1.5kw spindle with the bsmceo4u-pp usb controller board.

BACKGROUND - YOU CAN SKIP THIS PART:
    I've cut a boot for dust collection, did some cup holders with engraving, did a number of other projects and it's fine. I mostly bought a cnc to do guitars and started doing one and it cut the body shape fine, cut my pickup cavity, but then the neck cavity and full stop. I've been troubleshooting this quite a bit over the last few weeks and just ready to feel like I'm moving fwd. have tested my file with camotics, written files to test accuracy, tightened the couplers and support bearings, calibrated the machine, built a new pc for it and have made zero progress. If I run many programs I have with complex curves... they run fine... but the very fine details of a slight tapered neck pocket cause this thing to find a new x that is out by a LOT after a short time. Have had help from a few folks here and several on other forums... and am exhausted by it at this point.

so... at this point considering getting a g540 as I know so many here have had great luck with them. I really don't want to use anything from the current controller as worst case scenario I can go back to it. I have ordered replacement wires/connectors for the steppers and vfd and will replace those first either way. should that not solve the issues g540 is my next resort.

option 1 is (pre built gecko g540 + a vfd):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gecko-CNC-G...G/264943072064
    +
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5KW-VFD-S...t/202241904211

option 2 is (buying a kit from homann - my budget is about $600):
    https://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf

either would require this pci parallel card:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SW0DLDLX&psc=1

Q1: so... if I understand correctly I could get option 1 and this should get me to the point where I have axis movement pretty quick... then the vfd... is it as simple as 3 wires to the vfd, 3 power wires, and go (for manual control)?

I've got experience wiring some fairly complex guitar items... following schems, creating my own pcb, troublshooting... but I am admittedly out of my element afa troublshooting a controller should it come to that. I know the homann would seem like a better supported option should I venture to try and get mach3 control of the vfd.
    Q2: I don't understand what the "CN-02 Auxiliary relay output" is for?
    Q3: is the female IEC for the vfd for water cooling? this option also has the inclusion of a fan... which I'm guessing is going to become critical for me as AZ garages reg hit 110+ in the summer.
    layout diagram seems fairly easy to follow... famous last words!
    Q4: I assume I could simplify this wire up by just leaving my water cooler running as I do now?

I have read quite a few threads on this forum to try to get past this... but if you've got another one I should read I'm all ears.

any/all advice welcome.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cncest 6040 running fine for the most part... considering g540 and have some q's

forgive me for these basic questions, in case they are too basic.

is the Z missing steps? what if you reduce the plunge rate?
    Or, are you using an upcut bit and the Z is not holding -- that is to say, is the bit pulling the spindle down into the workpiece / the z is not holding?
    it could also be the mill end moving in the collet. Are you properly torquing the collet nut? That should be clean/oil-free, by the way.

Try running the operation without material to cut - just let it cut the air - measure the final position of the spindle. Is it correct? Then I would suspect the above is true.

If the Z height is wrong with no load on teh mill end (just cutting air) - then I would look to see if you have correct G-code, or is the Z properly calibrated?

auxiliary relay output is a relay under software control. it lets you activate equipment - dust control, a laser, camera, etc.
    if you have a water-cooled spindle, you should be running a pump. think of it as a water pump in a car. Without one, you could drive a short distance, but eventually it will overheat. Why risk it?

Good luck!
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cncest 6040 running fine for the most part... considering g540 and have some q's

Quote Originally Posted by mistermikev View Post
    have the cncest 6040 1.5kw spindle with the bsmceo4u-pp usb controller board.

BACKGROUND - YOU CAN SKIP THIS PART:
    I've cut a boot for dust collection, did some cup holders with engraving, did a number of other projects and it's fine. I mostly bought a cnc to do guitars and started doing one and it cut the body shape fine, cut my pickup cavity, but then the neck cavity and full stop. I've been troubleshooting this quite a bit over the last few weeks and just ready to feel like I'm moving fwd. have tested my file with camotics, written files to test accuracy, tightened the couplers and support bearings, calibrated the machine, built a new pc for it and have made zero progress. If I run many programs I have with complex curves... they run fine... but the very fine details of a slight tapered neck pocket cause this thing to find a new x that is out by a LOT after a short time. Have had help from a few folks here and several on other forums... and am exhausted by it at this point.

so... at this point considering getting a g540 as I know so many here have had great luck with them. I really don't want to use anything from the current controller as worst case scenario I can go back to it. I have ordered replacement wires/connectors for the steppers and vfd and will replace those first either way. should that not solve the issues g540 is my next resort.

option 1 is (pre built gecko g540 + a vfd):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gecko-CNC-G...G/264943072064
    +
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5KW-VFD-S...t/202241904211

option 2 is (buying a kit from homann - my budget is about $600):
    https://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf

either would require this pci parallel card:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SW0DLDLX&psc=1

Q1: so... if I understand correctly I could get option 1 and this should get me to the point where I have axis movement pretty quick... then the vfd... is it as simple as 3 wires to the vfd, 3 power wires, and go (for manual control)?

I've got experience wiring some fairly complex guitar items... following schems, creating my own pcb, troublshooting... but I am admittedly out of my element afa troublshooting a controller should it come to that. I know the homann would seem like a better supported option should I venture to try and get mach3 control of the vfd.
    Q2: I don't understand what the "CN-02 Auxiliary relay output" is for?
    Q3: is the female IEC for the vfd for water cooling? this option also has the inclusion of a fan... which I'm guessing is going to become critical for me as AZ garages reg hit 110+ in the summer.
    layout diagram seems fairly easy to follow... famous last words!
    Q4: I assume I could simplify this wire up by just leaving my water cooler running as I do now?

I have read quite a few threads on this forum to try to get past this... but if you've got another one I should read I'm all ears.

any/all advice welcome.
    Ok a few things here....... you are missing steps right? The BOB( break out board ) is one of the biggest issues with missing steps as it is prone to getting ESD as well as the drivers to the motors from the VFD . I would check the wires from the vfd and make sure they are shielded and properly drained to ground before changing your setup.Let us know what you end up with I know it is frustrating but cnc machines are not an over night plug in play kind of deal