Need Help! Is this Relay-VFD wiring correct?

Thread: Is this Relay-VFD wiring correct?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is this Relay-VFD wiring correct?

Nearly finished upgrading my 6040Z with 12V PSU and Parallel BOB (TX14692) to 24V and USB BOB (BSMCEO4U-PP), just not sure what wires from the VFD to connect the NO/COM/NC side of the relay.
    Do VFD COM/FWD pins normally take 24V control signals? And is the relay supposed to short the ACM/Common to NO/FWD?

Something about this doesn't seem right.
    I feel like it should be the +10V, but that's used for analog speed control right, so surely it shouldn't go through the relay?
    (which, btw, do you always connect +10V from the VFD to the BOB? Or only if 10V rails aren't already provided by the BOB?)
    I originally thought AVI and ACM were the analog signals, but there's no ACM on the VFD, so now I'm confused. Nothing else I've read so far has made it clear or actually shown a schematic for the relay to a VFD like this one.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this Relay-VFD wiring correct?-vfd-relay-bob-wiring-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is this Relay-VFD wiring correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Tophness View Post
    Nearly finished upgrading my 6040Z with 12V PSU and Parallel BOB (TX14692) to 24V and USB BOB (BSMCEO4U-PP), just not sure what wires from the VFD to connect the NO/COM/NC side of the relay.
    Do VFD COM/FWD pins normally take 24V control signals? And is the relay supposed to short the ACM/Common to NO/FWD?

Something about this doesn't seem right.
    I feel like it should be the +10V, but that's used for analog speed control right, so surely it shouldn't go through the relay?
    (which, btw, do you always connect +10V from the VFD to the BOB? Or only if 10V rails aren't already provided by the BOB?)
    I originally thought AVI and ACM were the analog signals, but there's no ACM on the VFD, so now I'm confused. Nothing else I've read so far has made it clear or actually shown a schematic for the relay to a VFD like this one.
    Most of these VFD drives for FWD there is no voltage needed the way you have it wired is incorrect from the relay output this should be direct to the VFD FWD and DCM Terminals

+10 volts is only normally used if you don't have a PWM to 0-10v Analog output

You will fry the VFD Drive input if you add any voltage to them

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Most of these VFD drives for FWD there is no voltage needed the way you have it wired is incorrect from the relay output this should be direct to the VFD FWD and DCM Terminals
    Ah ok thanks. There's no DCM on this VFD though. Did you just mean COM? Or connect it to the DCM on the BOB?

And I still connect both AVI together right?
    But not referenced to the ACM on the BOB? I would have thought that would make it floating, but in every other schematic I've seen there are separate grounds for DCM and ACM on the VFD, so I'm not sure if I should wire the BOB's ACM to VFD's COM.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this Relay-VFD wiring correct?-vfd-relay-bob-wiring2-jpg  
    Last edited by Tophness; 06-20-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah ok thanks. There's no DCM on this VFD though. Did you just mean COM? Or connect it to the DCM on the BOB?

And I still connect both AVI together right?
    But not referenced to the ACM on the BOB? I would have thought that would make it floating, but in every other schematic I've seen there are separate grounds for DCM and ACM on the VFD, so I'm not sure if I should wire the BOB's ACM to VFD's COM.
    On some VFD Drives Com is the same as DCM Take some close up photos of the VFD Drive terminals so I can see what you have

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

On some VFD Drives Com is the same as DCM Take some close up photos of the VFD Drive terminals so I can see what you have
    That cap underneath reads "7uF25V 47uF", but I'm not sure if it's even connected to +10V/COM/FWD

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this Relay-VFD wiring correct?-vfd-terminals-jpg   Is this Relay-VFD wiring correct?-img_20190726_130930_cropped-jpg  
    Last edited by Tophness; 06-21-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

That cap underneath reads "7uF25V 47uF", but I'm not sure if it's even connected to +10V/COM/FWD
    That is correct Yellow and Black wire to the Relay, I need to see the Breakout board inputs / output as well for the 0-10v output

Don't worry about the 10v terminal this is mostly not used

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

That is correct Yellow and Black wire to the Relay, I need to see the Breakout board inputs / output as well for the 0-10v output
    Ahh I see, so you're just shorting the VFD's FWD pin to it's own ground?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this Relay-VFD wiring correct?-bobschematic-jpg   Is this Relay-VFD wiring correct?-bob-jpg  
    Last edited by Tophness; 06-21-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahh I see, so you're just shorting the VFD's FWD pin to it's own ground?
    Correct no voltage needed, why did you need the Rely as your Breakout Board can connect direct

All you need to use for your speed control is AVI on your Breakout Board and Ground to connect to the VFD Drive AVI and Com then there will be 1 or 2 Parameters to set in the VFD Drive for that to work,
    Why did you need the Relays, you can connect output 1 to FWD on the VFD Drive, that should work also without the Relays

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Correct no voltage needed, why did you need the Rely as your Breakout Board can connect direct

All you need to use for your speed control is AVI on your Breakout Board and Ground to connect to the VFD Drive AVI and Com then there will be 1 or 2 Parameters to set in the VFD Drive for that to work,
    Why did you need the Relays, you can connect output 1 to FWD on the VFD Drive, that should work also without the Relays
    From what I understand this BOB has 24V outputs. The relay takes 24V control signals, and other setups I've seen used relays for it ( ).
    I didn't want to fry the VFD input pins with too much voltage. I've tested the relay by itself with nothing connected and 24V activates it so that must be right.

So I do connect the ACM on the BOB to VFD COM? Or is it some other ground? Surely ACM would be a better reference for analog voltage than the 5v/10v/24v ground?
    And does that mean the VFD has a shared analog/digital common? Cos I haven't seen any schematics using it like that yet

Downloads
    Uploads

From what I understand this BOB has 24V outputs. The relay takes 24V control signals, and other setups I've seen used relays for it
    I didn't want to fry the VFD input pins with too much voltage. I've tested the relay by itself with nothing connected and 24V activates it so that must be right.

So I do connect the ACM on the BOB to VFD COM? Or is it some other ground? Surely ACM would be a better reference for analog voltage than the 5v/10v/24v ground?
    And does that mean the VFD has a shared analog/digital common? Cos I haven't seen any schematics using it like that yet
    Stop looking at misguided information

Your Relays Output does not Output any Voltage unless you add it, this is just a switch On / Off nothing more there is no voltage involved between the VFD Drive FWD connection and the Relay if there is you have it wired wrong

The only other voltage involved is the 0-10v Analog output ( AVI which you need to check at the Board ) from your Breakout Board so there is no 24v involved in the connection between the VFD and your Breakout Board

24v can be used from Output 1 if the VFD Drive is setup correctly it would have to be changed from NPN to PNP but I'm not sure you would be able to do that unless there is a switch / Jumper on the Board for that

Some VFD Drives ACM and DCM is the same connection also called ( COM ) ACM if your VFD had it would be the correct choice for the Analog connection

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

24v can be used from Output 1 if the VFD Drive is setup correctly it would have to be changed from NPN to PNP but I'm not sure you would be able to do that unless there is a switch / Jumper on the Board for that

Some VFD Drives ACM and DCM is the same connection also called ( COM ) ACM if your VFD had it would be the correct choice for the Analog connection
    Ahh ok I think I understand now. I guess I'll just use the relay anyway rather than risk getting that wrong, plus it's isolated so it should help with shielding.
    Just making sure, it should be wired like this right?

VFD AVI >>> BOB AVI
    VFD COM >>> BOB GND + Relay COM
    VFD FWD >>> Relay NO

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this Relay-VFD wiring correct?-vfd-relay-bob-wiring3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahh ok I think I understand now. I guess I'll just use the relay anyway rather than risk getting that wrong, plus it's isolated so it should help with shielding.
    Just making sure, it should be wired like this right?

VFD AVI >>> BOB AVI
    VFD COM >>> BOB GND + Relay COM
    VFD FWD >>> Relay NO
    Correct this should work fine But check that the AVI is working correctly before you connect it to the VFD Drive needs to be 0-10v so you can do in MDI M3S12000 and you should get around 5v if you have setup Mach3 Correct

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Correct this should work fine But check that the AVI is working correctly before you connect it to the VFD Drive needs to be 0-10v so you can do in MDI M3S12000 and you should get around 5v if you have setup Mach3 Correct
    No luck. I tried every port from pins 0-4. Between AVI and GND I always get 0V.
    Between the BOB's 24V rail and FWD output I get 24V when it's active and 0V when it's not, and strangely if I set the spindle motor outputs to that port, between 24V and OUT1 (spindle) I get 5V.
    Maybe I could use that to PWM it instead of AVI, but it was supposed to have a dedicated 0-10V analog output.
    Also, between GND and 10V, I get 0V. Maybe the 10V pin is supposed to be an input from the VFD's 10V rail, not an output, and it just shapes it and outputs it to AVI.

Last edited by Tophness; 06-22-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

No luck. I tried every port from pins 0-4. Between AVI and GND I always get 0V.
    Between the BOB's 24V rail and FWD output I get 24V when it's active and 0V when it's not, and strangely if I set the spindle motor outputs to that port, between 24V and OUT1 (spindle) I get 5V.
    Maybe I could use that to PWM it instead of AVI, but it was supposed to have a dedicated 0-10V analog output.
    Also, between GND and 10V, I get 0V. Maybe the 10V pin is supposed to be an input from the VFD's 10V rail, not an output, and it just shapes it and outputs it to AVI.
    You can not use PWM

Your Breakout Board may be bad or you have not setup Mach3 ports and pins correct

You have to get your Breakout Board working correct before you can connect anything to the VFD

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You have to get your Breakout Board working correct before you can connect anything to the VFD
    With nothing left to try, I measured 10V on the VFD's +10V output rails and connected it to the BOB's 10V, since online documentation said it was different on this board and it was an input instead of output.
    This seemed to be correct, since I measured ~9.65V between the BOB's GND and AVI.
    That was doing M3S12000 though. So what now? Is that twice the voltage it should be? Will it go higher on other settings? I still haven't connected the BOB's AVI and spindle AVI together yet, cos I don't want to risk overvolting the VFD.

Downloads
    Uploads

With nothing left to try, I measured 10V on the VFD's +10V output rails and connected it to the BOB's 10V, since online documentation said it was different on this board and it was an input instead of output.
    This seemed to be correct, since I measured ~9.65V between the BOB's GND and AVI.
    That was doing M3S12000 though. So what now? Is that twice the voltage it should be? Will it go higher on other settings? I still haven't connected the BOB's AVI and spindle AVI together yet, cos I don't want to risk overvolting the VFD.
    Yes that is correct some Breakout Boards need a 10v or higher supply for the AVI to work, we don't have your Breakout Board spec's to know what it needs

It is obvious that it is not being controlled being 9.65v would be close to max so while it has an output, to see if it is working you have to do your own trying at different speeds to see if it is changing if it is not then you have a setup problem in the control

12,000 is just a test you need to try other speeds and see if it is doing anything

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes that is correct some Breakout Boards need a 10v or higher supply for the AVI to work, we don't have your Breakout Board spec's to know what it needs

It is obvious that it is not being controlled being 9.65v would be close to max so while it has an output, to see if it is working you have to do your own trying at different speeds to see if it is changing if it is not then you have a setup problem in the control

12,000 is just a test you need to try other speeds and see if it is doing anything
    All working now. S24000 took it up to 9.9V so I went ahead and connected it.
    Thanks for the help. Crazy that the documentation says 10V input but all the user-provided and seller-provided schematics show the 10V rail not even connected on this BOB as if it had it's own 10V regulator or something.

Downloads
    Uploads

All working now. S24000 took it up to 9.9V so I went ahead and connected it.
    Thanks for the help. Crazy that the documentation says 10V input but all the user-provided and seller-provided schematics show the 10V rail not even connected on this BOB as if it had it's own 10V regulator or something.
    The 10v is not always needed as most Breakout Boards complete that part of the VI 0-10v analog output within the Breakout Board, quite often this is changed by a jumper or a switch

Normally when this is obvious there are 3 connections on the same Terminal block +Vin / Aout / G or 10v+ / VI / Ground

Mactec54