Flow control on interface?

Thread: Flow control on interface?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Flow control on interface?

I just built a 3018CNC (from Banggood) and the included GrblControl and downloaded UGB both are seeing garbled returns from the machine. GrblControl promptly crashes, while UGB at least keeps running. It even fails using Putty terminal just sending an "$$" command. This is a small excerpt from UGB:

$0 = 10 (step pulse, usec)
    $1 = 25 (step idle delay, msec)
    $2OBšÑ•Á?port invert mask:00000000)
    $3 = 0 (dir port invert mask:00000000)
    $4 = 0 (step enable invert,½½±¥)

[Error] Error while processing response <<Idle,MPos:0.000,0 ‚‚b‚r‚‚‚bºA½Íé0.000,0.000,0.000>>
    [Error] Error while processing response <<Idle,MPos:0 ‚‚b‚r‚‚‚b‚r‚‚‚bºA½Íé0.000, 0.000,0.000>>
    [Error] Error while processing response <<Idle,MPos:0.000,0.000,0 ‚‚bºA½Íé0.000,0.000,0.000>>

I've tried setting the Port Properties under Device Manager to all three flow control options with no impact. Of course the kit didn't include any instructions beyond mechanical assembly.

Maybe the crystal that drives the control board is off frequency or something that I'll never find. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I even hear from Banggood support, let alone get useful help.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Very odd, the data is really close to correct... I connect with Putty all day at 115200 8,N,1 with no parity and Xon/Xoff. Maybe an electrically noisy environment or unsheilded cable? This is between the PC and arduino....

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Flow control on interface?

I don't think there's any noise, and the USB cable is shielded. I've tried two laptops as well as a desktop, so grounding shouldn't be a factor. I found a couple of other CH34 drivers which made no difference. Very frustrating.

Downloads
    Uploads

NOTE:If you do not have a 9 pin male serial port on your PC, we highly recommend you have one installed. The USB to 9 pin serial adapters do not work well, and not at all in many circumstances, so do yourself a favor and have one installed before beginning.

Downloads
    Uploads

My machine has a USB Micro-B connector on the board (like an Android phone), so I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to try to use a 9pin serial on the other end. I do have a 9pin connector on a PCI card installed if you insist.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd probably spring for the new controller. https://www.banggood.com/buy/3018-cnc.html There is one at that site. Hard to tell you, but an equal test would be with another arduino flashed with GRBL even if it doesn't have the "hat" or electronics to run your machine. I see the connections on the board look nice and tidy. Otherwise, I'd say just try another GRBL board entirely. If the steppers are not drawing too many amps, maybe a Gshield would run it fine on a fresh arduino. Don't lose hope! PM me if you need to chat. I've built quite a few machines on GRBL.

Downloads
    Uploads

And, as a note, if you want to go $$$, I enjoyed stepper drivers/motors/powersupply from automation direct. The arduino pinouts connect right to stepper driver inputs and that setup ran really, REALLY nice. It was a 48VDC supply, not the cheapest setup in the world, but it is the higher end reference point. I have some pretty looking stepper motor drivers from "that online auction site", they were like $5 each, those worked okay for light duty at 24VDC so there is a chance you could build a better control for less than a hundred bucks and some wiring/arduino flashing...

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm hoping Banggood will send me a replacement. The "original" linked controller doesn't say if it supports the variable spindle. I ordered a board from Aliexpress, and we'll see how long one or the other takes.