Need Help! 6040 with AXBB controller problem connecting VFD

Thread: 6040 with AXBB controller problem connecting VFD

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 6040 with AXBB controller problem connecting VFD

Hi all

I have a 6040 and decided to change the controller for the AXBB-E which is ethernet and works with UCCNC. I setup the steppers correctly but don't really know how to connect the VFD

The VFD is PRT-E1500W and had 4 wires connected to the old controller. I connected those to the AXBB as follows

AV1 -> A01
    +10v -> 5V+ (removed a jumper on the AXBB so this is actually 10V+)
    COM -> 24V0
    FWD -> Port 1 02

Please see attached images.

In the UCCNC software i setup the spindle as PWM and give the correct pin and port number but the spindle will not start from the software.
    Again in the setting if put a number in the " PWM min duty" then the spindle will rotate with that speed but uncontrollably, so i can not stop /start it.

I assume because the spindle will spin if i put "PWM min duty" the software on the VDF is setup correctly. But why the spindle will not start otherwise? is my wiring correct?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6040 with AXBB controller problem connecting VFD-axbb-e-setup-jpg   6040 with AXBB controller problem connecting VFD-bsmceo4u-pp-vfd-prt-e1500w-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 6040 with AXBB controller problem connecting VFD

Quote Originally Posted by alkis01 View Post
    Hi all

I have a 6040 and decided to change the controller for the AXBB-E which is ethernet and works with UCCNC. I setup the steppers correctly but don't really know how to connect the VFD

The VFD is PRT-E1500W and had 4 wires connected to the old controller. I connected those to the AXBB as follows

AV1 -> A01
    COM -> 24V0
    FWD -> Port 1 02

In the UCCNC software i setup the spindle as PWM and give the correct pin and port number but the spindle will not start from the software.
    Again in the setting if put a number in the " PWM min duty" then the spindle will rotate with that speed but uncontrollably, so i can not stop /start it.

I assume because the spindle will spin if i put "PWM min duty" the software on the VDF is setup correctly. But why the spindle will not start otherwise? is my wiring correct?
    You will have to see if the 0-10v out of the AXBB (AV1/Com ) is working by it's self so in MDI do a M3S12000 and see if you get around 5v output

I'm not sure why you would be connecting +10v to a 10V on the VFD Drive they are both 10v outputs this may have fryed something

And for FWD you may need a Relay

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you download the pdf for the axbb-e? It's important that you do that and look at the wiring. Else like Mac said you will damage something

Downloads
    Uploads

5V0 is your common for the analog output to the vfd....even if you pulled the jumper to get 10V. So AO1 to AVI and 5V0 to COM

Downloads
    Uploads

The manual shows you exactly how to connect the axbb-e to power and external devices

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    5V0 is your common for the analog output to the vfd....even if you pulled the jumper to get 10V. So AO1 to AVI and 5V0 to COM
    Be carful with those connections the AXBB Manual shows a Yaskawa J-1000 VFD Connection, the VFD he has is not the same as a Yaskawa Drive and are mostly unbranded / named open board VFD Drives, in other words a junk VFD Drive with unknown outcomes

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Be carful with those connections the AXBB Manual shows a Yaskawa J-1000 VFD Connection, the VFD he has is not the same as a Yaskawa Drive and are mostly unbranded / named open board VFD Drives, in other words a junk VFD Drive with unknown outcomes
    I was advising him with his vfd image he posted....not the axbb-e sample. Also the image confirms the connection was made like that originally. Also i only advised him on the analog connection, not the digital start connection.

Downloads
    Uploads

See my post from earlier today "6090 CNCest upgrade & VFD Question". Should answer all your questions. If you have any questions let me know. Hopefully you didn't damage the axbb-e.

Also, I should mention that even though the axbb-e said to remove the jumper for 0-10V I had to leave it on to get the full range of speeds and 0-10V on the output. There seems to be some confusion on which way gives the full 0-10V, so my advice is try it and if you're only getting half speed try the other way.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Ken

Downloads
    Uploads

I was advising him with his vfd image he posted....not the axbb-e sample. Also the image confirms the connection was made like that originally. Also i only advised him on the analog connection, not the digital start connection.
    The VFD Drive in the original connections was an output for +10v to a different Breakout Board which needed +10v for the PWM control the AXBB does not need that +10v connection from the VFD Drive

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

The VFD Drive in the original connections was an output for +10v to a different Breakout Board which needed +10v for the PWM control the AXBB does not need that +10v connection from the VFD Drive
    Exactly what I found when I did this upgrade. With the AXBB-e I'm not using the +10v from the VFD at all.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is correct...i never said he must use the drive's 10V!

Downloads
    Uploads

That is correct...i never said he must use the drive's 10V!
    Some confusion then on what you meant then, with post #7

( I was advising him with his vfd image he posted....not the axbb-e sample. Also the image confirms the connection was made like that originally. Also i only advised him on the analog connection, not the digital start connection.)

Leaving it the same as the original VFD Drive Connections would of been a mistake, incorrectly wired

The analog control is the only connection that uses the VFD Drives +10v when needed

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Some confusion then on what you meant then, with post #7

( I was advising him with his vfd image he posted....not the axbb-e sample. Also the image confirms the connection was made like that originally. Also i only advised him on the analog connection, not the digital start connection.)

Leaving it the same as the original VFD Drive Connections would of been a mistake, incorrectly wired

The analog control is the only connection that uses the VFD Drives +10v when needed
    Yes the image of his vfd connections confirmed what the vfd analog input was.....that is why i posted the analog input to the axbb-e "5V0 is your common for the analog output to the vfd....even if you pulled the jumper to get 10V. So AO1 to AVI and 5V0 to COM". I never said he must connect the 10V of his drive to the axbb-e. Whether there was a cable connected to it at the drive is irrelevant!

I also referred him to the axbb-e manual. That shows the axbb-e analog output is not isolated and it does not require an external voltage input.

Sorry for the confusion

Downloads
    Uploads

Back to the original poster, you should post pic's of how you wired it now before you power anything up....so we can see if you got it correct.

Downloads
    Uploads

You will have to see if the 0-10v out of the AXBB (AV1/Com ) is working by it's self so in MDI do a M3S12000 and see if you get around 5v output

I'm not sure why you would be connecting +10v to a 10V on the VFD Drive they are both 10v outputs this may have fryed something

And for FWD you may need a Relay
    Did you program the VFD to use the analog 0-10v signal for the speed control instead of the VFD panel potentiometer?
    The VFD also needs to be programmed to use the contacts to control the FWD/off control.

Cheers
    Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I realize this post is a couple of years old, but was hoping someone could provide some assistance. I have a 6040 with the same controller and break out box pictured and recently ordered the AXBB-E and UCCNC software. Is there a guide or website that shows what needs to be done for this upgrade? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by alkis01 View Post
    Hi all

AV1 -> A01
    COM -> 24V0
    FWD -> Port 1 02

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    I realize this post is a couple of years old, but was hoping someone could provide some assistance. I have a 6040 with the same controller and break out box pictured and recently ordered the AXBB-E and UCCNC software. Is there a guide or website that shows what needs to be done for this upgrade? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alan.

Previous op may not have assigned the analog out channel to the pwm signal on the settings pages.
    Also, vfd may be just a single wire ground looped circuit type as in- FWD to switch to GND in it's diagram. This type is unsuitable for direct axbb connection.
    This will then require the use of an external relay.
    Eg:
    Output#1 to relay -ve
    24v+ to relay +ve
    Vfd fwd to relay NO/NC
    Vfd GND to relay COM
    Axbb #1 will switch relay which will switch vfd.

Downloads
    Uploads

So I wiered mine like this and it worked with no relays.
    VFD --> AXBB-E
    10V removed
    AVI --> AO1 (Analog In/Out)
    COM --> -5V (Power Out)
    FWD --> Pin02 port1 (Set m3 in UCCNC to pin2 port1)
    Rev --> Pin03 Port1 (Set m4 in UCCNC to pin3 port1)
    Added a jumper From AXBB-E -5V --> Pin01 Port1
    I removed the jumper on the AXBB-E (for 10V)
    Make sure to select spindle PWM Analog ch1 in the IO setup in UCCNC
    I set my spindle velocity to 8000min to 24000 max ( I have 2,2 KW water cooled)