CNC 3040 Switching from Broken Y-axis driver to A-axis driver in software.

Thread: CNC 3040 Switching from Broken Y-axis driver to A-axis driver in software.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC 3040 Switching from Broken Y-axis driver to A-axis driver in software.

I recently purchased a CNC 3040 from ebay. I have successful created several designs, however I noticed a major amount of error in my Y distance. The problem started to get worse and is currently to the point where it is near 15mm of error every time it moves. I did the standard trouble shooting to figure out that every time any sort of motor was connected to the Y axis driver then it would have this error. The motor, connector, or mechanical axis work perfectly when another driver(I.E x axis) is used. More recently, I tried to correctly ground everything together and the problem still occurs.

Nevertheless, I ordered from aliexpress the JP-382A board. However, it will take almost 10 days until I get the board and can run my CNC again. I wanted to see if there was any quick way to switch the A axis with the Y axis in the software? If I can use my A axis as a replacement until my new board comes in, it would save me a lot of time.

I was able to switch the axis(Axis 2 is now A not Y anymore) in CNC USB controller software, but when I plug my motor into the appropriate port, the motor does not move. I wasn't sure if there was a special to set up the board(JP-1635A) as the motors get power when they connected, but will not move. I am assuming it is sometime fairly simple, such as another program? The red light on the JP-1635A is on and that may be a hint of an internal error?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC 3040 Switching from Broken Y-axis driver to A-axis driver in software.

assuming your using mach3 to control your cnc machine

you need to go into ports and pins and after noting the current settings
    re assign the pins that are the step and direction signals for the Y axis

example from the Mach3Mill_Install_Config manual

CNC 3040 Switching from Broken Y-axis driver to A-axis driver in software.-mach3-ports-pins-jpg

if your machine is like the example in the manual

changing the Y axis step pin to 9 and Y axis direction pin to 8 would make the A axis driver your new Y axis

John

Last edited by john-100; 05-19-2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: correct typo

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC 3040 Switching from Broken Y-axis driver to A-axis driver in software.

I am currently using CNC USBController. Do you know of any way to do the switch in CNC USB Controller? If not, do you think moving to Mach3 would be preferred in the long run?

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

which CNC USBController are you using ?

some like warp9 tech designs smoothstepper
    or usb motion controls UC100
    works with mach 3 and mach4
    and you would follow the change in config as in my first reply

other USB motion controllers use the manufactures software not Mach3/4 so you will need the manual for that
    one from https://planet-cnc.com comes to mind but I can't remember all the details

John

Downloads
    Uploads

John,

I am using the CNC USB Controller from PlanetCNC(https://planet-cnc.com/software/). It works well other than the fact that I can't change my pin for my y-axis. I will try Mach3 with your recommendation and changing the config files.

Downloads
    Uploads

As mach 3 /4 is limited unless you by a licence and I don't think it works with the PlanetCNC's motion controler

I would make a custom cable to connect the CNC USB Controller A axis output fo the JP-382A board A axis input

to avoid soldering 25 wire an adaptor like this could help
    CNC 3040 Switching from Broken Y-axis driver to A-axis driver in software.-db25-25pin-male-female-adapter-jpg

John