Need Help! Losing steps on Z

Thread: Losing steps on Z

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Losing steps on Z

I have owned a Omio X8-2200L-USB for more than an a year, using it on daily basis without any major problems. However, last week it began losing steps on Z, not often but all of a sudden when I don't want it to happen (ruined two pieces of nice exotic wood and a router bits). Running Mach 3 on Windows 7 and the computer is more than sufficient for the task.

I have:

- Checked there is no obstruction when turning the screw. The whole arrangement is encapsuled so I can't make any visiual inspection.
    - Tigthened the screws on the flexible jaw coupling.
    - Measured all four conducters in the cable while bending it on critical positions.

I can make two or three successful jobs (running approximately one hour) and then it fails all of the sudden.

Any suggestions? I really need to get the machine up and running again.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Losing steps on Z

I've got a X4-800L, and I've recently been having issues with lost steps. Mostly on Z as well, but - as far as I can tell - on Y as well. (And then saw your comment on the huge Omio thread, but kept forgetting to reply there or here)

I've done all the grounding stuff, got a dedicated computer running Mach3 (although a laptop) that I've disabled stuff on, tightened the couplings etc. etc.... But what I have noticed is, like you, this only happens after a bit of a session with the machine. And also, if I let the machine rest for a bit then it seems to be ok for a while again.
    So... I'm thinking some kind of overheating issue. From what I've read, this is more likely to be the stepper drivers than the stepper motors themselves, but the motors do end up getting fairly hot. So I've bought some heatsinks, and I'm going to try mounting them on the steppers and drivers to see if that helps things.

I haven't opened up the control unit for a while so can't remember, but I'm wondering if the Z driver is the furthest from the fan, and therefore the one most likely to overheat. Hopefully at some point this weekend I'll get a chance to stick the heatsinks on, so I'll take a look to see if my hunch is correct then. I do remember that the general layout of the unit maybe wasn't great in terms of airflow though, but I could be misremembering things.

When I bought my Omio, I got it with 4 stepper drivers as I planned to get a 4th axis at some point, but didn't want to buy theirs. How many stepper drivers have you got in your unit?

Anyway... do you think overheating could be the reason you're seeing issues as well? Or are you suspecting something else?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Losing steps on Z

Hi, I think I may have the solution. I opened up the control unit and everything was covered in dust. Just when I was cleaning it a friend dropped by, he is a electronics engineer and he gave me a lecture in what electrostatic discharges can do with electronics. I put it togehter and it has worked flawlessly since then - a month ago. So check the control unit first.

Last edited by dynaflux; 04-20-2019 at 09:33 AM.