PRT-E1500W Controller issues

Thread: PRT-E1500W Controller issues

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PRT-E1500W Controller issues

Hi folks. I know the controller is quite popular to the Chinese 6040 machines. I had a catastrophe happen which I mis-judged the metal hold down and my 60 Deg V bit went into the metal holder. I didn't have enough time to scramble around the machine to the computer to hit the stop or the controller stop button and the controller shut off. I had this problem before where my X Y axis went too far and the controller went off. I simply replaced the fuse and presto. However, this time no dice. Dead as a door nail. No matter what I try, I can not get the controller to power back up. So I am assuming it is the power supply. I opened the controller and removed the power supply. It is a HNE HN-25-150-24. I found one on amazon for $50 and ordered it... and am hopeful that is the problem. If not, I may have to replace the whole controller.

My questions are this... 1. where can I purchase a new PRT-E1500W usb controller, I searched ebay and all I see are complete machines. Next 2. Can that controller be easily replaced (plug n play) with another American made controller. One that I just purchase and hook up to the chinese machine without hassles of replacing other motors, etc. I hope someone can help or assist.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PRT-E1500W Controller issues

I guess no one here can help?

I just discovered that the VFD is popping the fuse as soon as I insert a new one. I looked at all the function boards and really don't see anything burnt or out og place. But it appears I am going to need an electrician to work on it, or replace the whole unit, if I can.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, it appears no one can help with my issue. My CNC 6040 1.5kw USB kit's VFD controller is pictured. I wrote to about 10 different chinese ebay sellers who sell the same identical VFD in a 6040/6090 kit, but NONE will sell just that VFD by itself. I am not sure why they place that VFD in so many machine kits but refuse to sell them individually.

It appears my options are to purchase a complete kit (around $900 - $1200) just to get the VFD and storage the components since I don't need or want them, plus no place to really store them. This got to be a last resource.

One CNC vendor I wrote to suggested to replace the VFD with this: https://www.automationtechnologiesin...er-controller/

I looked at that... I would be clueless how to hook that up since my current kit has different connector that are simple round screw in and easily marked XY & Z. Plus it looks like I would have to replace all my motors to the NEMA. At $600 I might as well just throw in a few hundred more and get a complete kit.

Any other suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PRT-E1500W Controller issues-prt-e1550w-usb-110v-front-jpg   PRT-E1500W Controller issues-e1500w-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DarbyOhara View Post
    I guess no one here can help?

I just discovered that the VFD is popping the fuse as soon as I insert a new one. I looked at all the function boards and really don't see anything burnt or out og place. But it appears I am going to need an electrician to work on it, or replace the whole unit, if I can.
    I will try to help.

We need to establish exactly where your problem is before you start buying new stuff, if we can.

Which fuse is poping?
    I assume you have the power turned OFF when you are changing the fuse and it pops when you power it up?

If you think the VFD is the problem, you can power up the Control Box with the VFD disconnected and the fuse does NOT blow?

There may be a fuse inside the power socket ( at the rear of the case ) Do have you checked?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    I will try to help.

We need to establish exactly where your problem is before you start buying new stuff, if we can.

Which fuse is poping?
    I assume you have the power turned OFF when you are changing the fuse and it pops when you power it up?

If you think the VFD is the problem, you can power up the Control Box with the VFD disconnected and the fuse does NOT blow?

There may be a fuse inside the power socket ( at the rear of the case ) Do have you checked?
    Thanks for your response... I almost gave up checking back here. But to let you know first, I did manage to get my Controller to finally power up. But with that scare, I also manage to find one Chinese vendor who is willing to reach out to their Chinese factory and offer to sell me just the PRT-E1500W unit. Still waiting for price and of course it will ship from China, so I may see it sometime this year... lol.

Back to my original... There is only one fuse in these units and it is in the power supply in the back as a little drawer. As I said before, after my tragic event and the unit shut off, I tried to replace the fuse. As soon as I turn the power on... nothing. So before I replaced the fuse, I checked the continuity of the fuse... got around 0.2. So the fuse is good (since it is brand new) and put it in. Turn on power. nothing. Pulled that fuse and again checked the continuity... nothing. So it is definitely popping that fuse. So off I went back to Lowes and look at the fuse choices, they only have one brand and amp for that size fuse. HOWEVER, they come in "fast acting", which are cheaper and the kind that is popping. They also carry one called "Time Delay" which costs more. I bought one of those and put it in the unit.. presto! whew! So I done a few jobs and watched the unit... Seems to be working fine. But I fear something might still be wrong since it will no longer handle those cheaper fuses like it did before my accident. So that is why I am going to purchase a whole new unit as a back up. Sorry for the long write up... but just saying it is fixed frustrates me.

You mentioned this, "If you think the VFD is the problem, you can power up the Control Box with the VFD disconnected and the fuse does NOT blow?" That is a bit confusing to me, but I realize that the whole unit is the control box and some folks call it the VFD, but how on earth would you disconnect the VFD from the control box? Are you referring to the VFD as one of the circuit board's inside the control box? Electronics and their schematics are hieroglyphics to me.

I also realize that some folks replaced the motors and this control unit (VFD) for the gecko G540, Nema 23, etc. But I wish there was a simple step by step for us newbies that don't own a soldering gun. Oh well. After all this... if anything else goes wrong and I have to purchase another machine, I think I'll go with something made in the USA and that has company support here... But it is all a fun journey. I sure do feel good on completed projects though... lol. Thanks for listening (reading)..

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad you got it powered up.
    Yes, that is the fuse I was talking about.
    I would not worry about having to put a 'Slow Blow' fuse in your controller in order to get it to power up. That may be normal.
    Sometimes there are high inrush currents when powering up devices that require a SB Fuse in order to not blow.
    If there really is a problem, the Slow Blow will blow anyway.

I just found a pic you took of inside your case. It is not what I was thinking. Yes, your speed controller is the front Circuit Board..

Don't worry about changing anything now.
    Use your machine and learn about it. Learn the good and bad points.
    It will be a quite a while before you will want to, and be able to, upgrade components you find wanting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Glad you got it powered up.
    Yes, that is the fuse I was talking about.
    I would not worry about having to put a 'Slow Blow' fuse in your controller in order to get it to power up. That may be normal.
    Sometimes there are high inrush currents when powering up devices that require a SB Fuse in order to not blow.
    If there really is a problem, the Slow Blow will blow anyway.

I just found a pic you took of inside your case. It is not what I was thinking. Yes, your speed controller is the front Circuit Board..

Don't worry about changing anything now.
    Use your machine and learn about it. Learn the good and bad points.
    It will be a quite a while before you will want to, and be able to, upgrade components you find wanting.
    Right. It is working great again. An update about the replacement controller.... the Chinese vendor that I emailed and said they can find me a replacement... they said that it would have to be mailed from China. I said that is ok... since I am no hurry now. Well, she reached out to the factory folks and they claim since it is coming from China and it is heavy, they would charge me $350. I about dropped my jaw. I replied and said no way! That is OVER half the cost of a complete system. Although I like the performance and results of this unit... I think this will convince me more that if something ever goes wrong again, I am going with a USA product. This ripoff, non-support of Chinese machines is pathetic!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, we all get caught with the poor Vendor support....

Just use it..learn about it ,and in the future, if you find it wanting and you have the knowhow, you can make some upgrades to improve it.