Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.

Thread: Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.

Hi!
    I've been working on replacing the stock controller in my chinese 6040 with a G540 (original died while I was test cutting styrofoam). It's been a couple of months of tinkering when I've had the time, today was the first day it moved again, and it was beautiful!

I do have a few questions though that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

1. I would really like to connect my VFD/Spindle to the G540 so that Mach3 can control it. This worked for the old controller, but I don't know how to wire this up to the G540, or configure it afterwards. In picture (1) you can see the VFD and the G540. In picture (2) you can see the wires that were connected to the old controller. These don't seem to match anything in the manual for the G540.
    Any ideas?

2. The second question is if anyone knows how many Amps the old stepper driver put out, I can't find anything anywhere in the manuals that came with the original CNC about how many amps it sending to the steppers. I've limited the G540 to 2.7A as I believe the ad on ebay said it was 3A (and I wanted to be safe). But I don't know.
    Is there any way to tell from the old driver in picture 3?

Thank you!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.-1-topdownoncontroller2-jpg   Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.-2vfdconnections-jpg   Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.-3originalparts-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver po

Pin7 to COM
    Pin 8 to AVI
    Pin 9 to +10V

Use pin 5 or 6 with a relay to the FWD terminal.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver po

Nice! thank you. Just a follow up question.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Use pin 5 or 6 with a relay to the FWD terminal.
    So pin 5 (or 6) drives a relay, what should I connect the other end of the relay to, FWD and 12V on the VFD?

Last edited by vosser; 01-01-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not positive on that. On many VFD's, there's a separate digital ground connection.
    I'd trace that Yellow FWD wire and see how it's connected. You may be able to just connect it to the power supply ground for the relay, similar to how the G540 manual shows the relays wired.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vosser View Post
    Nice! thank you. Just a follow up question.

So pin 5 (or 6) drives a relay, what should I connect the other end of the relay to, FWD and 12V on the VFD?
    Just FWD and COM

FWD and COM turn the VFD On / Off this is just a switch no voltage added, AVI and Com are for speed control the G540 needs a voltage to make this work which can be a power supply or the Voltage supply out from the VFD 10v sometimes is enough but may need 12v to work correctly

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

First of, thank you for all the tips. I've now done as described above, and i partly works.
    In picture (1-overview) you can see what it looks like.Using a relay from port 5 I can now enable FWD, this works great (you can see the blue relay bottom left in the picture).

The problem I have now is that the spindle always goes to max RPM, and I can't seem to control it. It's either max, or off.

I've been fiddling with the settings but nothing seems to change that it just spins up to max and "400" is displayed on the control box (see picture 2-MaximumPower). If I go to manual mode it works just fine and I can set it at different speeds using the dial.

The manual that came with the CNC said that Mach3 should be set to PWMBase Freq (Spindle Setup Tab): 301, and Minimum PWM to 30. The Gecko manual however says 50. Not sure what it's supposed to be.
    Are there any other settings I should be changing, or other things I can test to get it to work?

Thanks again for all the help!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.-2-maximumpower-jpg   Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.-1-overview-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You don't need the relay, the G540 can be connected directly to the G540.
    It has an open drain mosfet.
    Al.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.-bobtovfd2-jpg  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi yosser. I have the same box. I'm also going to be doing the same thing I think. Is the old power supply that is the box already able to be kept without having to buy a new one for the 540?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    You don't need the relay
    Ah, well now its there and it works great, but thank you for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by KTMKenny View Post
    ..Is the old power supply that is the box already able to be kept without having to buy a new one for the 540?
    Yes and no. You can keep it but as far as I understand it the Gecko likes more power, and also the quality of the components that came in the box have been sub par so I did not want to risk it and have something that breaks shortly after getting it to work. I bought this kit and have not regretted it one second: https://www.ebay.com/itm/131103819804 The seller is also EXTREMELY helpful.

Now If I could just figure out why the VFD is always at max power

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah, well now its there and it works great, but thank you for the heads up!

Yes and no. You can keep it but as far as I understand it the Gecko likes more power, and also the quality of the components that came in the box have been sub par so I did not want to risk it and have something that breaks shortly after getting it to work. I bought this kit and have not regretted it one second: https://www.ebay.com/itm/131103819804 The seller is also EXTREMELY helpful.

Now If I could just figure out why the VFD is always at max power
    First you have to measure the output from the G-540 to see if you are getting 0-10v and see if it changes when you MDI a different speed, it may not be anything to do with the VFD , did you add the 10v to 12v to the G-540 it needs this for the PWM 0-10v output, what do you have on Pin 9

Make sure the voltage does not go above 12v for this connection to pin 9

Your VFD has a +12v check it before you connect it to the G-540

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

the original BOB shown in the first post look similar to this TX14175

Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.-tx14175-circuit-board-jpg

one of the normally open relay contacts is connected to the analogue ground

john

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    First you have to measure the output from the G-540 to see if you are getting 0-10v and see if it changes when you MDI a different speed, it may not be anything to do with the VFD , did you add the 10v to 12v to the G-540 it needs this for the PWM 0-10v output, what do you have on Pin 9. Make sure the voltage does not go above 12v for this connection to pin 9
    I just measured and checked everything. Com goes to Port 7, AVI to port 8, and 10V to port 9.
    Between Port 7 (com) and Port 9 (+10V) I have 9.99Volts.
    Between Port 7 (com) and Port 8 (AVI) I have 0.047 Volts.

Whatever I tried I could not make the G540 increase the voltage between 7 and 8, so I'm pretty sure this is my problem.

I used the xml file from Geckos website to configure Mach3 and have not changed much (the VFD has never worked).
    See pictures 2+ for current Mach3 settings.

What should I try?

Thank you for the help!

EDIT. I followed the list/guide on this page (https://www.machsupport.com/forum/in...?topic=22474.0). I also tried the suggestion of running the command M3S500 from the MDI which pretty much did exactly what I was doing by point and click.
    Still nothing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.-1-voltagemeter-jpg   Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.-2-spindlesetup-jpg   Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.-3-motoroutputs-jpg   Replacing controller with G540, connecting the VFD and figuring out old driver power.-4-portsandaxis-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I just measured and checked everything. Com goes to Port 7, AVI to port 8, and 10V to port 9.
    Between Port 7 (com) and Port 9 (+10V) I have 9.99Volts.
    Between Port 7 (com) and Port 8 (AVI) I have 0.047 Volts.

Whatever I tried I could not make the G540 increase the voltage between 7 and 8, so I'm pretty sure this is my problem.

I used the xml file from Geckos website to configure Mach3 and have not changed much (the VFD has never worked).
    See pictures 2+ for current Mach3 settings.

What should I try?

Thank you for the help!

EDIT. I followed the list/guide on this page (https://www.machsupport.com/forum/in...?topic=22474.0). I also tried the suggestion of running the command M3S500 from the MDI which pretty much did exactly what I was doing by point and click.
    Still nothing.
    So you have the roughly 10v at the G540 so this part of the VFD is working

In motor Tuning you have to have something in the spindle settings at least 1 step and move the slider to the middle and save

Also motor outputs in ports and pins Spindle set Step port to 1 Dir port 1 You may need also Dir LowActive unchecked you have it checked, you may need Step Low Active checked so a few thing for you to set and play with, you have to get the voltage changing coming out of the G-540 before the VFD will do anything

Pulley ratio will need setting also

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, the Step Port should be set to 1

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Spindle set Step port to 1 Dir port 1
    That did it, it now works beautifully. Did a simple test cut yesterday.

Almost hard to believe it's all done now, been working on this for over 6 months as time has permitted.