What causes steppers to stall?

Thread: What causes steppers to stall?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What causes steppers to stall?

Hello all.

I have a 6040T upgraded with a 48V power supply and Gecko G540 connected to a old slow pc via parallel port.

If I try to change the steppers max velocity to higher then 3000mm/min (118IPM) while rapid jogging it becomes unreliable and the steppers stall at times.

Im just wondering what is the limiting factor? is it the slow pc? Do I need a Ethernet smooth stepper with Mach4? or are the steppers the cause?

p.s. From memory the Kernel speed is 35k and If I try to set it any higher the pc freezes up and crashes.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What causes steppers to stall?

You don't give us any reference to see steps per rev/steps/mm. The best I can get out of a 1.8 degreee (200 step/rev) stepper is about 750 rpm with and without microstepping with hardware stepgen on a Mesa 7i76e which is good for up to 10 mHz. But there are other physical and timing limits that come into play...So tell us your RPM and steps per rev

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

I use 400steps per rev.

Not sure what you mean by RPM? do you mean the ballscrew pitch and how far the axis moves per 1 revolution of the stepper?

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, there is a limit how fast a stepper can turn (eg in RPM). You've told us how fast you can run but not enough info to work out what speed your stepper is turning in RPM, which in turn might shed some light on what the limiting factor is.. So what is the rpm you are running at when you hit 3000 mm/min?

My machine does 21,000 mm/min with steppers....... in that 750 RPM self imposed limiit

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like he has 5mm pitch screws, which would be about 600rpm.

Lot's of different things can cause stalling, so it's very difficult to say what the issue is.
    What are the specs of the motors?
    Have you tried running at 25Khz? It may give you a better pulse stream, which may allow you to go faster.
    Is there any binding anywhere in the machine. Even a small amount of binding or friction can greatly reduce speeds.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)